Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdwvacationdad

Are you certain of this?

Colonial Williamsburg: 650,000 annual attendance
Busch Gardens Williamsburg: 2,750,000 annual attendance (with shortened season)

And if you look at a typical college football game, I bet there's more students in the stands than in class...it's pretty close.

But yeah, learning is kinda dying...

wdwvacationdad

It's a false choice. You can learn AND be entertained. (See: Cosmos...or 20th centure Epcot)

Great point. I don't disagree, but more people tune in to watch the NFL on a Sunday night than Cosmos (even though Cosmos is more entertaining than watching most NFL teams)

ABQ

And if you look at a typical college football game, I bet there's more students in the stands than in class...it's pretty close.

If you're going to utilize attendance figures, try pulling up EPCOT Center figures from, as @Gomer mentioned, the 1990's or so. Edutainment was thriving.

lazyboy97o

And yet so much of the growth in themed entertainment is educational experiences. The idea that learning is dying is just not supported when one looks at what is happening outside the Disney bubble.

WildcatDen

Yes, because Cars Land and Toy Story Midway Mania were built overnight....
Good thing you chose IP that has not had any sequels, thus extending the 'life' of the IP? Maybe those had an established, longer term revenue stream prior to the areas being built? Now, before you slide down your batpole we need to address the bigger question. So many people on the site claim (and most likely correctly) that EPCOT Center and World Showcase are not the place for a "Toon" invasion. All claims aside, equipped with an understanding that revenues can increase with minimal expense, do we really think TDO WILL NOT do this?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Good thing you chose IP that has not had any sequels, thus extending the 'life' of the IP? Maybe those had an established, longer term revenue stream prior to the areas being built? Now, before you slide down your batpole we need to address the bigger question. So many people on the site claim (and most likely correctly) that EPCOT Center and World Showcase are not the place for a "Toon" invasion. All claims aside, equipped with an understanding that revenues can increase with minimal expense, do we really think TDO WILL NOT do this?
I have little doubt they will ravage the current Norway pavilion and replace far too much of it with Frozen miscellany. Which is what I take issue with....

WildcatDen

I have little doubt they will ravage the current Norway pavilion and replace far too much of it with Frozen miscellany. Which is what I take issue with....
I will take that even further and imply that this may just be the first (OK second - Thanks Donald) step in the process. Also, for the record, the idea of a Brother Bear water ride in Canada, I like it espcially if they play Off Kilter music in the rafts or logs. Maybe the Rat in France (that has been rumored to some extent), I look for EPCOT to become an MK part deux, maybe?

And yes, to most on this site, they will take issue as well. To the tourists who visit EPCOT because it is one of 4 parks in WDW, they may see it another way?

wdwvacationdad

And yet so much of the growth in themed entertainment is educational experiences. The idea that learning is dying is just not supported when one looks at what is happening outside the Disney bubble.

According to the NEA, Americans touring a park, monument, or museum is down 21%... museums have lost over 8 million people since their peak... the opening of science museums are at their lowest levels ever, and attendance is flat at best. I'm PRO-EDUCATION...but it's hard to deny that fewer Americans are spending time in art, history, or science museums. EPCOT is unique because it offers edu-tainment at such a large scale, BUT the reality is that no one is rope dropping to get to the China pavilion or Hall of Presidents. People who appreciate the science of Test Track are in the minority...they go to ride in a car really fast.
With that said, I'm pulling my kids out of school in 3 weeks so they spend a week at the parks--because we find it more educational than being in school.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I will take that even further and imply that this may just be the first (OK second - Thanks Donald) step in the process. Also, for the record, the idea of a Brother Bear water ride in Canada, I like it espcially if they play Off Kilter music in the rafts or logs. Maybe the Rat in France (that has been rumored to some extent), I look for EPCOT to become an MK part deux, maybe?

And yes, to most on this site, they will take issue as well. To the tourists who visit EPCOT because it is one of 4 parks in WDW, they may see it another way?
Or, they may not. Neither of us speak for them....

WildcatDen

I am already tired of anything Frozen.....................
Just bought some frozen chocolate coverend banana slices. Used to get the whole "Fozen-anna" at the zoo, it was a must on every visit but after a while, gnawing into the fronzen fruit killed your teeth. This new dessert is made up of packs of slices (4 per pack). Each slice is covered with dark chocolate and a sprinkling of nuts (insert joke here). Nom nom. A bit more costly per serving, but convenient (ooh, I detect a theme?)

WildcatDen

Or, they may not. Neither of us speak for them....
Sorry - You are right. My disclaimer should be written as "The comments and views of one WildcatDen are his and his alone and not construed to represent a majority or a minority, simply an individual wasting his lunch hour. . ."

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
All claims aside, equipped with an understanding that revenues can increase with minimal expense, do we really think TDO WILL NOT do this?
I have little doubt they will ravage the current Norway pavilion
I guess at some point we have to ask if TDO has already began looking past Norway and what their possible plans are for other pavilions. The unwashed masses will no doubt flock to the Frozen pavilion and reinforce TDO's (or whomever's) belief that the idea was wise and in turn put every other pavilion in the cross hairs.

BigTxEars

I guess at some point we have to ask if TDO has already began looking past Norway and what their possible plans are for other pavilions. The unwashed masses will no doubt flock to the Frozen pavilion and reinforce TDO's (or whomever's) belief that the idea was wise and in turn put every other pavilion in the cross hairs.

Just checking, since I am fine with the Frozen layover on Maelstrom and I am looking forward to it am I one of the unwashed masses?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Just checking, since I am fine with the Frozen layover on Maelstrom and I am looking forward to it am I one of the unwashed masses?
With the heat and humidity in central Florida, most people are, regardless of being a fan of the overlay or not. Please take no offense to my comment. People that sensitive are usually podcasters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom