Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I think the effort to make the EPCOT Center more kid friendly ignored the fact that it was possible to create new characters within the pavilions and showcases themselves. JII and it's associated areas did just that, it created a new character singularly identified with ECPOT and it's pavilion (or 2 if you are a Dreamfinder nut). Say what you will about Captain EO, but it gave us a few unique loveable characters that children readily fell for (remember "Fuzzball"?). Opportunities like these existed all along but instead of developing those, they went back to the old tried and true "gang".

Edutainment is part of what EPCOT Center was about. It took someone who was ignorant in a particular area and gave them a basis and background to start from on a subject that previously may not have held their interest. These attractions/pavilions did not serve the lowest common denominator, instead they brought up and continue to bring up the level of understanding of the under-informed. With the exception of Test Track 2.0 (and possibly the Seas), doesn't every other pavilion need at least some updating if not a total re-imagineering?

As others here have said, World Showcase presented the represented countries culture, food, and developments. Norway could use a better version of Maelstrom not a desperate shoe-horned overlay. (There are many here that might accept that shoe as at least something new is happening in our favorite park.) Adding to the existing story or better still, adding on to this attraction would be a far better option and allow for opportunities to develop a pavilion specific character. (Or better develop.)

While Maelstrom is not my favorite attraction in EPCOT as it exists today, I would surely welcome a more fully developed attraction than what exists. That being said where are the new things to hold off the guests from revolt of having one less thing to do? (Even if it is an overlay.) Bottom line is, build more to gain favor and equity with your customer base so you can change things with less overall customer impact.

*1023*

PlutoHasFleas

It's already common knowledge on this board who you are, I had to do ZERO research!

Right now I'm just testing to see if you are a man of your word or if you are just a troll searching for more followers for your podcast?

I wonder if there are any posts left on this thread for you to even read besides yours?

Aww.. you know think you know who I am??? That makes me feel so special!! That means, I'm... like... Famous! Awesome! Too bad I will never see you again! Bye Bye!!!

BrerJon

also i would imagine that they probably produce alot of disney tv stuff?
just guessing here

I'm sure you've heard of Mulan, Lilo & Stitch and Brother Bear - all of which are movies from the Florida animation team. It's a testament to how sad the closure of the place was that someone who lives in Florida hasn't heard of it, it was an amazing studio.

MGM-Studios was named for a reason, working studios, and one of those was Feature Animation.
One of the top attractions was to view the animators at work on upcoming pictures. The area is now a sparse character meet-and-greet, but in it's day the public side of the studio was amazing. Do watch the Robin Williams film 'Back To Neverland' if you can on YouTube - that was the preshow before you went into the studio.

They didn't do any TV stuff, although they did three Roger Rabbit short cartoons that aired before features, as still happens today, but their main work was major sequences of the main pictures.

The big deal for Florida was Lion King - until then, everyone in Burbank was focused on Pocahontas, that was going to be the big movie, so Florida was given chunks of King of the Jungle almost apologetically to give them something to do. They did a great job though, and it helped to quickly turn the tide of opinion in Simba's favor and made people sit up and take notice of what Florida was capable of.

Their work got better and better, and they were given their own features - Mulan, Lilo and Bear. While all great films, the golden age of box-office gold for Disney animation was gone. Poor promotion, compromises, bad financial decisions and a trend for 3D instead of 2D films led Eisner to decide to slash Disney Animation. One of the casualties of this was the death of the satellite studio ten years ago, and the park is forever the poorer without it.

Last edited:

Mike S

I'm sure you've heard of Mulan, Lilo & Stitch and Brother Bear - all of which are movies from the Florida animation team. It's a testament to how sad the closure of the place was that someone who lives in Florida hasn't heard of it, it was an amazing studio.

MGM-Studios was named for a reason, working studios, and one of those was Feature Animation.
One of the top attractions was to view the animators at work on upcoming pictures. The area is now a sparse character meet-and-greet, but in it's day the public side of the studio was amazing. Do watch the Robin Williams film 'Back To Neverland' if you can on YouTube - that was the preshow before you went into the studio.

They didn't do any TV stuff, although they did three Roger Rabbit short cartoons that aired before features, as still happens today, but their main work was major sequences of the main pictures.

The big deal for Florida was Lion King - until then, everyone in Burbank was focused on Pocahontas, that was going to be the big movie, so Florida was given chunks of the King of the Jungle almost apologetically to give them something to do. They did a great job though, and it helped to quickly turn the tide of opinion in Simba's favor and made people sit up and take notice of what Florida was capable of.

Their work got better and better, and they were given their own features - Mulan, Lilo and Bear. While all great films, the golden age of box-office gold for Disney animation was gone. Poor promotion, compromises, bad financial decisions and a trend for 3D instead of 2D films led Eisner to decide to slash Disney Animation. One of the casualties of this was the death of the satellite studio, and the park is forever the poorer without it.
That is just sad. Makes me think of this little detail at the Art of Animation Resort.
image.jpg

BrerJon

No, people want the park that was mean to be different and possibly even more adult to stay that way. Shock horror. Many find the late 80s and early 90s to be EPCOT Centers best years. Mickey and co were there too.

They found the perfect balance. Now they're way past that. The wrong way.

Exactly. When Walt originally built Disneyland, Fantasyland was where you could meet the characters from Disney animated movies, and meet them, but the other lands - although they had the odd Mickey and Minnie appearance - were mainly meant to be highly themed areas transporting you to those, so you could actually feel you were a cowboy, or in the future.

By 1982 Magic Kingdom had long since let that slip and was a character paradise. From the Mickey Mouse Revue, to the Country Bears, character attractions were the main event. In those days you didn't have planned appearances or meet and greet spots, characters would just randomly walk the park, and you never knew who you were going to see.

EPCOT Center was an antidote to this. A calm, more mature (but still amazing for kids) place where Disney Imagineers could work their magic without worrying about Disney movies or characters. They still were around - look at the old pictures of 'EPCOT Mickey' in his spacesuit, and of course Figment was invented, but they were extra bits of color on the sidelines, not the main event.

Fast forward to today, the Disney parks have become not about transporting you to imaginary faraway lands and times, but into The Walt Disney Company (TM) Franchises. It's Disney selling Disney, not selling imagination. When you have that kind of situation, an ever increasing character buffet makes the non-character stuff feel a little short-changed.

Last edited:

EPCOTCenterLover

As much as I enjoyed it for a long time, I feel Country Bear Jamboree was the beginning of the breakdown in keeping characters where they belonged and keeping the integrity of the lands staying true to historical theme.

BrerJon

As much as I enjoyed it for a long time, I feel Country Bear Jamboree was the beginning of the breakdown in keeping characters where they belonged and keeping the integrity of the lands staying true to historical theme.

In Disneyland of course you have Critter Country, which was almost a spin-off of Fantasyland, with Splash Mountain and Country Bears fitting right in, but still in a themed land they fit well in. In WDW both attractions are in Frontierland, so the theme is broken quite dramatically.

spacemt354

Chili's

Didn't Country Bear Jamboree open in Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom on October 1, 1971?

That would mean that keeping the integrity of the land began breaking down from Day 1...

spacemt354

Chili's
Also, I don't understand how I did anything wrong besides going against the grain on this one. Would someone mind explaining this to me so I can make sure, whatever it is, so I most certainly won't do it again? I'm still getting used to things here, so maybe I shouldn't have jumped into one of the most aggravating topics for Disney fans with such an opposing view? I mean, I am basically saying I agree with Disney 100% on this overlay. Most against this overlay feel like they are getting screwed by Disney on this one. So invariably, some feel as I am screwing them over by agreeing with Disney? I don't freaking know anymore.. I'm so confused...

You actually just answered your own question with the bold part.

I don't know if you're familiar with the online forum community as a whole, but there is a term called "troll" to describe someone who goes deliberately against the norm just to tick people off and get responses. These people will pick hot topics and simply stir the pot by using the opposing view as a catalyst to get people annoyed. In addition, there are posters who for lack of a better term, are called "pixie-dusters", because they simply think everything Disney does is perfect and correct, regardless of how detrimental it actually is to the park because they either don't know WDW history, don't think they have any competition, or simply don't care.

If you agree that Disney is doing the right thing by implementing Frozen into Maelstrom, then okay, simply justify your point with facts in a calm manner instead of getting into arguments with people about podcasts and acting all defensive. If you want to interact in an online forum, particularly this one, be prepared to have people criticize your views. The criticism will subside though if you provide facts to back-up your statements.

Donald96

In spirit of some de-characterization of World Showcase, the posters in the East Tower windows no longer have Duffy on them. Meet and Greet and merchandise cart selling him are still there but the large signage with him in the windows is gone and replaced with the classic international stamp posters.

PlutoHasFleas

In spirit of some de-characterization of World Showcase, the posters in the East Tower windows no longer have Duffy on them. Meet and Greet and merchandise cart selling him are still there but the large signage with him in the windows is gone and replaced with the classic international stamp posters.
Yea, they kicked Duffy out of the parks last week. Have you seen the Tsum Tsums yet? Duffys replacement? They are litttle stuffed hamsters that look like Disney characters...

wdwvacationdad

Yea, they kicked Duffy out of the parks last week. Have you seen the Tsum Tsums yet? Duffys replacement? They are litttle stuffed hamsters that look like Disney characters...

This is terrible news!!!! Duffy WAS Epcot. Replacing him with Disney characters is going to ruin WS. WS should be about the culture and history of the world...not Disney entertainment. Duffy taught us about the world, much in the same way the Malestrom Vikings taught me about the history of Norway. This is the end of Epcot and perhaps history.

minsmk

IMO I think Tsum Tsums are cute and the game is fun. But i'm glad they are not available in the parks or resorts. Only in Disney Stores or DTD/DS.

Then again I haven't seen thosands of children walking around the parks with a chubby version of Stitch or Mickey since they came out. If you don't like them or the game, that's fine. I understand how they can be annoying but at least they aren't everywhere in disney like Duffy was.

wdwvacationdad

Nothing like out right mocking to get oneself off to a good start. I'm sure you'll be a long time member, if you're not one already.

Not really trying to mock. There are 230 pages of comments about why the Disney-ification of WS is a terrible thing for the park (thought I was echoing the sentiments found here?). Duffy is the only character not to be in a Disney movie... it's very symbolic that he's being replaced by Disney characters. And the Vikings at Maelstrom HAVE taught me more about the history of Norway than Frozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom