Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aladdin2007

New theming Aladdin2007. Just a great way to update the park maybe a Christmas overlay similar to the Haunted Mansion, space Mountain and Small World. Attendance would shoot through the roof and profits would go up as well. Hopefully, someone at TDO is watching this post for suggestions.

But it doesnt make sense putting a Scandinavian themed movie into a themed Swiss mountain. And TDO is Disney World management, not Disneyland.

Next Big Thing

But it doesnt make sense putting a Scandinavian themed movie into a themed Swiss mountain. And TDO is Disney World management, not Disneyland.
You missed what he is saying. The whole thing would be rethemed, but still keep the same feel.

Bottom line, it the two themes would not mix and the Swiss theme would not be present at all.

Sped2424

You missed what he is saying. The whole thing would be rethemed, but still keep the same feel.

Bottom line, it the two themes would not mix and the Swiss theme would not be present at all.
Well the issue is the mountain itself is based off a real mountain in switzerland, so you can't really ever take out the swiss unless you do major reconstruction of the mountain.

Admiral01

Premium Member
It IS very soon, however, we have not seen this kind of reception to a Disney animated film in over a decade, and certainly not during the era of social media. It was in theaters for over three months, which is practically unheard of in this day and age. "Let It Go" was number one on iTunes and Billboard. And, more importantly, it has inspired people. There is a TON of fan art, fanfiction, and more; youtube is flooded with various covers and remixes of the songs. I don't think Frozen would've caused that kind of reaction if it were just a flash in the pan.

I feel confident in saying that Frozen is at least the equal of the best of the Disney Renaissance era, such as Beauty & The Beast, Aladdin, or The Lion King.

And besides, the Cars franchise isn't considered Pixar's best, either, and people LOVE Radiator Springs over in DL.

But Radiator Springs was done in very high quality and expanded a park. Shoehorning Frozen into Norway is starting on subpar footing...regardless of how good the movie was.

aladdin2007

It would've been fun! And it only would've lasted a year. Could be worse...your castle could be turned into a giant pepto pink cake!

some of us liked our cake castle lol, I thought it was cool for awhile but was of course glad to see it go later on.

Prototype82

EPCOT has experience five hour daily waits for the meet and greet for the Frozen princesses. Changing this outdated coaster with a new theme would give this particular side of the park a new boost. Let Maelstrom GO!
But Frozen is an animated movie and has nothing to do with actual Norwegian history. Why so many EPCOT haters?

How about we gut Maelstrom and reinvent it with state-of-the-art effects and keep it about Norway and nothing irrelevant. Haha... If only. Arendelle should be built in another park. Epcots been dumbed down enough.

lazyboy97o

But Frozen is an animated movie and has nothing to do with actual Norwegian history. Why so many EPCOT haters?

How about we gut Maelstrom and reinvent it with state-of-the-art effects and keep it about Norway and nothing irrelevant. Haha... If only. Arendelle should be built in another park. Epcots been dumbed down enough.
EPCOT Center is not "Disney." Many Disneys theme park fans have no interest in themed entertainment that lacks a connection to something already known as Disney.

Prototype82

You mean aside from the creators studying Norwegian culture, architecture, fashion, geography, music, etc.?
Norway was the inspiration for the film's setting. But if you walked into an international World Expo, why would Frozen be the ideal way to represent everything that is the essence of a country's history? What did Elsa contribute to Norway's cultural heritage? Frozen does not represent the country's sea faring past. Frozen does not represent the country's place in the oil industry. Frozen's landscape is inspired by Norway, despite the fact it is an adaptation of the Snow Queen: A Danish tale.

The statement I'm trying to make is that Frozen was shaped by Norway. Norway was not shaped by Frozen.

Prototype82

And the Eiffel Tower was shaped by France. Should we remove that from the France Pavilion?
That's not the context of "shaped" I was using. The Eiffel Tower is a product of French ingenuity. It is a French icon. Since when was Frozen a Norwegian icon? It's an American animated movie.

Matt_Black

That's not the context of "shaped" I was using. The Eiffel Tower is a product of French ingenuity. It is a French icon. Since when was Frozen a Norwegian icon? It's an American animated movie.

Which, again, had at least one Norwegian person involved in it's creation. Frode Fjellheim worked with composer Cristophe Beck for the score.

DTale

Which, again, had at least one Norwegian person involved in it's creation. Frode Fjellheim worked with composer Cristophe Beck for the score.

The points you are using to try and argue are so small I'm actually laughing out loud. I, personally, would LOVE to see Frozen in Norway, but thats because I'm desperate for anything to happen at the parks. As much as I want it, however, Frozen does not fit in EPCOT at all. It is a fairy-tale in an imaginary kingdom that has Norwegian culture, but it is in no way a good enough representation of Norway that wouldn't cause Walt to roll over in his grave.

aladdin2007

The points you are using to try and argue are so small I'm actually laughing out loud. I, personally, would LOVE to see Frozen in Norway, but thats because I'm desperate for anything to happen at the parks. As much as I want it, however, Frozen does not fit in EPCOT at all. It is a fairy-tale in an imaginary kingdom that has Norwegian culture, but it is in no way a good enough representation of Norway that wouldn't cause Walt to roll over in his grave.

Agree, it may have some northern flavors but doesnt even begin to brush the surface and there really is barely anything Norwegian about it except for maybe some of the landscape shots.

Prototype82

I know it contains a Sami chant thanks to Fjeldheim. That was authentically Norwegian. But it's still a Disney Animated Movie and EPCOT was not originally a park based on animated movies. I'm standing by my statement. What makes EPCOT original (or what used to) is that it had no Disney character tie ins, no Disney movie tie ins...it was just EPCOT. But now it's slowly becoming Magic Kingdom thanks to views like yours. I'm ditching this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom