Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S

The thing is while fantasyland seems like the best fit, not every single thing can be put in fantasyland. DHS however would be a great spot for something large and grand. But no we cant have grand new attractions, we get sing alongs, olafs on sticks, and chuffed in rethemes.
Either/or I would be fine, as long as Maelstrom stayed. And don't be dissing the Olaf on a stick, you know how cool it is to get a free fan in Disney World when it's hot outside? ;)

Macdaddy1717

I must say from being a Disney fan and a history fanatic, me and my girlfriend went this last may and I for one could not wait to ride the maelstrom. Like others said I agree not haven't the cartoons all over the rides is nice about Epcot sometimes. And it's not the most amazing ride but it's one that I've grown up with and would not be a happy camper if they changed to frozen! And I even love frozen! But not the place for it. I would like a refurb on old maelstrom though I must say lol

FutureCEO

Years ago when I learned that countries in Epcot had to pay part of the fee for attractions and such, I was amazed and still am.

Personally, I would go to Europe a lot more if I had the money rather than go to Disney. Going to Norway in Epcot is not going to convinced me to want to go to Norway itself. I'm obsessed with the UK and going to the pavilion didn't make me love the country more than my own.

Last edited:

PlutoHasFleas

I still don't understand how no one saw this coming way back when the Caballeros invaded GFT.

HALT! Armchair Imagineering time!
This ride will be Olaf serving as your tour guide across Norway, with appearances by Kristoff & Sven in the fjords, the trolls at the turn around, and a grand finale with Olaf reuniting with A&E in front of Elsa's Ice Palace in place of the current (lame) oil drilling ending. Some of the best comedy on the ride will be Olaf's reactions to Odin.

Much of the story and most classic scenes from the ride will remain.

In no way does this suggest the blaspheme of replacing the Norway pavilion with a fictional Arendale. Disney would never do this. The integrity of the World Showcase would be completely compromised.

Disney will pay for an update to the pavilion with money in advance from Norway or from money in the long run by injecting Frozen into it. That's it.

My Speculation
I think Disney wanted to bring the new Shanghai PotC technology to one of the US parks, and because the popularity of Maelstrom is significantly lower than either PotC, they chose to update Maelstrom.

With the idea in the works, Disney requested funding from the Norwegian government, and included plans for an upgrade to Maelstrom and a new dining experience. With disagreements in costs, the request to Norway was declined, leaving Disney to seek out a new way to finance the project.

Disney may have contracts with companies like Garner Holt that may require them to spend a certain amount annually on AA's and other attraction pieces. If so, they needed to find a way to continue with the Norwegian upgrade.

Enter the Frozen girls. Wether you like them or not, they revitalized Disney in a lot of ways. They were the first Princess movie to hit big B.O. numbers in a long time, and the M&G's drive Frozen fans to the parks in droves.

Walt Disney Animation Studios Box Office Records
#1 Frozen $400,738,009
#2 Tangled $200,821,936

They see the kind of draw these girls can pull, even with a poorly thrown together M&G area in the Norway pavilion. So updating Maelstrom along the lines of GFT or Living Seas (injection of characters, or characterization) using the girls and their amazing draw power seems like an even better idea than Norway funding it in the first place.

Of course with any amount of significant change, there will inevitably be haters. I think of an old grandpa shaking his fists at these new fangled smart phones! "Gimme an old rotary dial for goodness sake! They never should have changed it from the good old days!"

Magenta Panther

I still don't understand how no one saw this coming way back when the Caballeros invaded GFT.

HALT! Armchair Imagineering time!

In no way does this suggest the blaspheme of replacing the Norway pavilion with a fictional Arendale. Disney would never do this. The integrity of the World Showcase would be completely compromised.

Disney will pay for an update to the pavilion with money in advance from Norway or from money in the long run by injecting Frozen into it. That's it.

My Speculation

Enter the Frozen girls. Wether you like them or not, they revitalized Disney in a lot of ways. They were the first Princess movie to hit big B.O. numbers in a long time, and the M&G's drive Frozen fans to the parks in droves.

Walt Disney Animation Studios Box Office Records
#1 Frozen $400,738,009
#2 Tangled $200,821,936

They see the kind of draw these girls can pull, even with a poorly thrown together M&G area in the Norway pavilion. So updating Maelstrom along the lines of GFT or Living Seas (injection of characters, or characterization) using the girls and their amazing draw power seems like an even better idea than Norway funding it in the first place.

Of course with any amount of significant change, there will inevitably be haters. I think of an old grandpa shaking his fists at these new fangled smart phones! "Gimme an old rotary dial for goodness sake! They never should have changed it from the good old days!"

Oh come ON. The objections to the idea of a Frozen overlay on Maelstrom have little to do with nostalgia or with wanting things in WDW to stay the same. What's objectionable to most of us here is that neither Frozen or Maelstrom are well-served with such a cheap two-bit cash grab. I think everyone here would be delighted with an actual, new Frozen attraction, either in Magic Kingdom or DHS. But slapping characters and a facade over an existing attraction that is quite charming in its own way PLUS fits in with the theme of World Showcase is just plain appalling. None of us here, including me, who's no big Frozen fan, are denying that Frozen's been good for the Disney company, and in particular the Walt Disney Animation Studios. But such a phenom deserves its due, and the fans who made it great deserve more than a rushed, tacky makeover. The rumored Frozen overlay just reeks of cynicism and greed - even for Robert Iger. Of COURSE a lot of us are yelling about that! (And will keep on yelling, I hope, until TDO gets the word that a LOT of people are upset with their plans, and thus will perhaps rethink them, just like it rethought the meet-and-greet attraction for New Fantasyland after Disney fans voiced their disappointment, and replaced it with the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Sometimes, miracles DO happen...)

PlutoHasFleas

Oh come ON. The objections to the idea of a Frozen overlay on Maelstrom have little to do with nostalgia or with wanting things in WDW to stay the same.

Oh please. The majority of the objections I have seen have strictly been about how Frozen doesn't belong in the World Showcase. TBH, anyone who would object to an update of a 30 year old attraction has something to do with nostalgia and wanting things at WDW to stay the same.

What's objectionable to most of us here is that neither Frozen or Maelstrom are well-served with such a cheap two-bit cash grab.

So the objections are that Disney is going to make money from this decision? Wouldn't a profitable decision equate to a successful one? How can we tell how cheap this update is going to be? If they are going to take the risk of upsetting fans by the Frozen overlay, I have faith that they will most likely go all out to bring exciting and new experiences to this attraction.

such a phenom deserves its due, and the fans who made it great deserve more than a rushed, tacky makeover.

An incredibly popular meet & greet area in MK with daily 2+ hour stand-by lines, a summer long event spanning multiple sound stages at DHS, limited edition merch and MagicBands, and now, what is set to be the most popular attraction overlay in the history of Disney Parks. What more does everyone want? Why is the consensus that it's going to be tacky and rushed? If they utilize the rumored PotC: Battle of the Sunken Treasure tech, it may very well be one of the most impressive attractions on property.

cw1982

TBH, anyone who would object to an update of a 30 year old attraction has something to do with nostalgia and wanting things at WDW to stay the same.

Have you and I been reading the same thread?

Actually, most of the objections, like mine, had nothing to do with updating the attraction. They had everything to do with changing its nature and dumbing it down in such a drastic way that it no longer represents Norwegian culture at all. WS is about representing the cultures of those countries, not Disneyfying them in a manner that makes them less about the culture and more about characters.

The attraction could absolutely stand to be updated and could get plenty of improvements without overshadowing a real country by adding in a multiple references to a country that doesn't even exist just for the sake of cramming it in somewhere on the cheap.

I have faith that they will most likely go all out to bring exciting and new experiences to this attraction.

I hope you're right, but all signs point to "doing this on the cheap and quick so we can strike while the iron is hot." Otherwise, we'd be hearing about a new addition to one of the parks instead of an overlay. By design, this screams cheap.

What more does everyone want?

How about attractions to be placed appropriately instead of just making decisions based on where the most money can be saved? How about not compromising the immersion into each of the various cultures when guests explore WS? WS does still stand for World Showcase, after all... does it not? All of the countries already have references to Disney characters in one form or another, but as of right now the general nature of each pavilion is still maintained for the most part. How much more cartooning really needs to happen over there before it no longer serves the same purpose as WS and becomes something else entirely? Isn't one MK in Orlando enough?

Last edited:

BrerJon

If they utilize the rumored PotC: Battle of the Sunken Treasure tech, it may very well be one of the most impressive attractions on property.

I thought the buzz about Pirates in Shanghai is that they were replacing many of the animatronics with video screens of Johnny Depp and friends. Maybe they'll do the same with Maelstrom? Doesn't sound like much of an upgrade to me.

SJN1279

I am really starting to get annoyed when people bring this up as some kind of justification. Using an animated film to promote tourism is nowhere near the same thing as having that same film be the central attraction in a pavilion dedicated to the culture of your country.
According to Maelstorm, Norway's culture consists of vikings, murderous trolls, polar bears, and oil rigs. I don't think a Frozen overlay will hurt anything.

PlutoHasFleas

How about not compromising the immersion into each of the various cultures when guests explore WS? WS does still stand for World Showcase, after all... does it not? All of the countries already have references to Disney characters in one form or another, but as of right now the general nature of each pavilion is still maintained for the most part.

Why does the majority believe that Frozen will raze the Norway pavilion? TDO can keep the entire attraction set in Norway with a simple character overlay. Take a look at my Armchair Imagineering. The only location that is fictional IP is Elsa's Ice Palace, which by canon, was built instantly using magic and can absolutely be moved to Norway (Maybe Elsa bequeaths the throne of Arendale to Anna and Kristoff, leaving her free to move her icy abode anywhere she wants.).

This way, Norway and Maelstrom (to an extant) can remain intact, maintaining the general nature of the pavilion.

PlutoHasFleas

maelstrom
[meyl-struh m] noun
1. a large, powerful, or violent whirlpool.
2. a restless, disordered, or tumultuous state of affairs:
the maelstrom of early morning traffic.

aladdin2007

I find it odd that all of the sudden theres a couple brand new posters here, who have never been here before, all of the sudden chiming in saying what should be and what should be is correct.
To plutohasfleas,,we dont know yet what direction Disney will incoporate Frozen into Maelstrom,,will it be Norwegian themed/presented? Hopefully..but it could also be the other way around with no Norwegian connection and just be the cartoon story, or wheres olaf, and one big toddler fest. It has been clearly stated that it is planned as a cheap overlay as a quick fix,,now that part I dont have confirmation on but the spirit (whom you may not be familair with) has been clear about it. What I do have confirmation on is that Disney has promised to retain the Norway pavilion and Norwegian aspects despite funding not coming through from the government or other support,, there is hope that they keep their word.

But with all that said it does not mean frozen belongs in Norway, shoehorned into a space that is too small. This was their chance to do something big and grand for that movie in a different location, but no TDO and Iger and co. want it done now and fast while saving as much money as possible.... Heaven forbid they spend money to implement that expansion pad next door instead.

SirLink

According to Maelstorm, Norway's culture consists of vikings, murderous trolls, polar bears, and oil rigs. I don't think a Frozen overlay will hurt anything.

So? The Snow Queen was not set in Norway ... I would rather see more murderous vikings than some Toons. But hey some people have taste and some people are mentally ...(removed word so Mom doesn't get to upset) ...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Oh please. The majority of the objections I have seen have strictly been about how Frozen doesn't belong in the World Showcase. TBH, anyone who would object to an update of a 30 year old attraction has something to do with nostalgia and wanting things at WDW to stay the same.

No, as others have said it has nothing to do with nostalgia, it has to do with what sounds like an in-appropriate update of an attraction. Magic Kingdom recently can a new daytime parade and I didn't see to many people complaining about the previous parade being replaced. Same thing with the update of the Enchanted Tiki Room a couple years ago, must people were ok with it since it was an improvement.

So the objections are that Disney is going to make money from this decision? Wouldn't a profitable decision equate to a successful one? How can we tell how cheap this update is going to be? If they are going to take the risk of upsetting fans by the Frozen overlay, I have faith that they will most likely go all out to bring exciting and new experiences to this attraction.

That depends on how you define "successful". Increased profits are good for top executive and shareholders but the average guest doesn't care directly about profits, they care about value for their money. Disney has been charging more and more for what a lot of people think is a lesser product. This is good for profits, but it's not good for guests. At this point it doesn't appear that a sufficient number of guests have recognized this to have an impact on the bottom line, but if things keep going they way they are that might change. Disney was built on the idea of exceeding customer expectations. They don't seem to be doing that anymore and are instead trading on their past reputation, this is not a sustainable strategy.

An incredibly popular meet & greet area in MK with daily 2+ hour stand-by lines, a summer long event spanning multiple sound stages at DHS, limited edition merch and MagicBands, and now, what is set to be the most popular attraction overlay in the history of Disney Parks. What more does everyone want? Why is the consensus that it's going to be tacky and rushed? If they utilize the rumored PotC: Battle of the Sunken Treasure tech, it may very well be one of the most impressive attractions on property.

The argument for most people is that Frozen doesn't fit with the intention of World Showcase. They they highest quality and most cutting edge attraction imaginable and people will still hate it for this reason. Move that same attraction over to MK and I bet 99% of people would love it.

PlutoHasFleas

I find it odd that all of the sudden theres a couple brand new posters here, who have never been here before, all of the sudden chiming in saying what should be and what should be is correct.

Well, aladdin2007, it is a pleasure to meet you as well. Just so everyone knows, I have lived my entire life in central FL and I am a WDW AP.

To plutohasfleas,,we dont know yet what direction Disney will incoporate Frozen into Maelstrom,,will it be Norwegian themed/presented?
What I do have confirmation on is that Disney has promised to retain the Norway pavilion and Norwegian aspects despite funding not coming through from the government or other support,, there is hope that they keep their word.

So, we do have an idea as to what direction Disney will not be going in. It will not be the destruction of Norway and the rise of Arendale in it's wake. That is far to drastic of a change, and again, completely compromises the integrity of WS. Injecting characters into, or the characterization of the rides has been something that has proven itself to be successful and profitable in the parks over the last 10 years, so of course they wanted to find the best fit for Anna & Elsa (hands down the most popular characters in the line up currently) in a classic attraction.

It just makes sense. Why is the consensus that this is greedy move? The only way they will make money off this is if people come to the parks and spend their money on a popular attraction. TDO knows to get dollars out of pockets, give them what they want.

aladdin2007

Well, aladdin2007, it is a pleasure to meet you as well. Just so everyone knows, I have lived my entire life in central FL and I am a WDW AP.

So, we do have an idea as to what direction Disney will not be going in. It will not be the destruction of Norway and the rise of Arendale in it's wake. That is far to drastic of a change, and again, completely compromises the integrity of WS. Injecting characters into, or the characterization of the rides has been something that has proven itself to be successful and profitable in the parks over the last 10 years, so of course they wanted to find the best fit for Anna & Elsa (hands down the most popular characters in the line up currently) in a classic attraction.

It just makes sense. Why is the consensus that this is greedy move? The only way they will make money off this is if people come to the parks and spend their money on a popular attraction. TDO knows to get dollars out of pockets, give them what they want.

Didnt mean to sound unwelcoming, but it would be good idea to take a browse through the prior pages in this thread.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Where was the announcement from Disney that confirms this, I must have missed it?

You also keep repeating the assertion that increased profits are good for customers, this is not always the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom