Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceMountain77

After visiting WDW for 9 days in August, I realized that if I still want to Discover the Wonder, then I need to limit my Epcot journey to Future World West and, specifically, The Land and The Seas.

Mike S

According to Maelstorm, Norway's culture consists of vikings, murderous trolls, polar bears, and oil rigs. I don't think a Frozen overlay will hurt anything.
Vikings are part of their history, trolls part of their legends, Polar Bears actually live there and they do have oil rigs. Anna, Elsa and pals are no where to be seen because they are cartoons made by an American animation studio. THEY. DO. NOT. BELONG!!!!!!!!

Big Bad Wolf

Can I let you in a little secret that you might find surprising, there are people on this board with opinions that differ from yours, thus the continued discussion. If you have already made up your mind on this topic, then stop reading this thread.
I have worked with Disney for the last 21 years Finally, we have started to update and change "stale" features and the majority doesn't want change. What a sad day when change can depress the general public.

PlutoHasFleas

You also keep repeating the assertion that increased profits are good for customers, this is not always the case.
How does Disney increase profits without pleasing guests?

After visiting WDW for 9 days in August, I realized that if I still want to Discover the Wonder, then I need to limit my Epcot journey to Future World West and, specifically, The Land and The Seas.
Right, because Nemo was a well done overlay of Living Seas.

Vikings are part of their history, trolls part of their legends, Polar Bears actually live there and they do have oil rigs. Anna, Elsa and pals are no where to be seen because they are cartoons made by an American animation studio. THEY. DO. NOT. BELONG!!!!!!!!
So Nemo doesn't belong in The Living Seas, yank Caballeros from GFT, and why is Phineas & Ferb even in WS at all?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

So Nemo doesn't belong in The Living Seas, yank Caballeros from GFT, and why is Phineas & Ferb even in WS at all?
How about by building new pavilions and stop cutting entertainment options? Like they had done all those years prior.....

Darn good questions for TDO. Or a podcast....

danlb_2000

Premium Member

There are plenty of ways, here are a couple examples...

- Disney has increased ticket prices at a rate much higher then the rate of inflation.
- Recently they eliminated the parade from AK without a replacement but you still have to pay the same price to get in.
- In the past Epcot eliminated an entire pavilion without replacing it, but again they didn't reduce the price.

All of these things were good for Disney profits, but it's hard to argue any of this pleased guests. Any time Disney cuts, or reduces something without a replacement or corresponding reduction in ticket price it is a win for Disney profits and a loss for customers.

PlutoHasFleas

- Disney has increased ticket prices at a rate much higher then the rate of inflation.
- Recently they eliminated the parade from AK without a replacement but you still have to pay the same price to get in.
- In the past Epcot eliminated an entire pavilion without replacing it, but again they didn't reduce the price.
1. The rate of inflation is not the sole factor of ticket prices going up. The costs of new and upcoming projects at WDW such as New Fanatsyland, Avatar Land, and Disney Springs will be subsidized by increases in ticket prices, we saw this with the $5 raise only for MK to pay for New Fantasyland.
2. Again, parades and other live entertainment are very expensive and attract minimal guests. They are the easiest to close down to subsidize the costs of the three major projects that they are in the middle of. I expect once early phases of Avatar Land become available to the public, AK will bump there ticket prices up $5 as well. The same way I would expect to pay to park in the new parking structure at Disney Springs once open.
3. Are you speaking of the Millinneum Pavilion, which is currently still used for special events?

I don't know if guests are ever pleased by spending more money, but with the amount of new experiences recently delivered and still on the way, most will be understanding of the very slight differences in costs.

Last edited:

PlutoHasFleas

I believe that's in reference to the Wonders of Life Pavilion.
Thank you. I was stuck in WS. I hardly think WoL was something to complain about being shut down. The 80's mall simulator and expensive science fair were chewing up money just keeping them open. I miss the giant DNA sculpture, but good riddance.

Last edited:

cw1982

I was being sarcastic, lol.

Except that for those of us whose objections you have misconstrued, those things you were being sarcastic about are the issue. If the sisters and Olaf become part of a new version of Maelstrom, the same concept that put those other characters in Epcot has been taken a step further in a way that downplays the things in Norwegian history and culture that have the potential to be exciting without the help of an American cartoon.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
1. The rate of inflation is not the sole factor of ticket prices going up. The costs of new and upcoming projects at WDW such as New Fanatsyland, Avatar Land, and Disney Springs will be subsidized by increases ticket prices, we saw this with the $5 raise only for MK to pay for New Fantasyland.
2. Again, parades and other live entertainment are very expensive and attract minimal guests. They are the easiest to close down to subsidize the costs of the three major projects that they are in the middle of. I expect once early phases of Avatar Land become available to the public, AK will bump there ticket prices up $5 as well. The same way I would expect to pay to park in the new parking structure at Disney Springs once open.
3. Are you speaking of the Millinneum Pavilion, which is currently still used for special events?

I don't know if guests are ever pleased by spending more money, but with the amount of new experiences recently delivered and still on the way, most will be understanding of the very slight differences in costs.
Disney crows about their quarterly profits on a routine basis. The rise in pricing for everything, from tickets to food, merchandise, and hotel rooms are all part of this, and not to merely "subsidize" future projects. There is a greater concern for ROI and maintaining quarterly profit rates than continuing to provide the same levels of entertainment that brought them to these levels in the first place.

And if TDO is so against parades, why did they debut a new one just this year? One that does bring guests to the parade route every day? They can afford both the parades and entertainment, along with the entertainment acts that played a role in helping to achieve the success they currently enjoy....

danlb_2000

Premium Member
1. The rate of inflation is not the sole factor of ticket prices going up. The costs of new and upcoming projects at WDW such as New Fanatsyland, Avatar Land, and Disney Springs will be subsidized by increases in ticket prices, we saw this with the $5 raise only for MK to pay for New Fantasyland.

1. In the past the the ticket prices where not increasing at a rate anywhere near what they are recently, yet they managed to add entire new parks every few years. We are now getting major new additions to parks at about the same rate were were getting entire new parks in the past.

2. Again, in the past there were able to add major new additions without having to close anything.

3. Wonders of life. You may not have liked it, but it doesn't change the fact that it was an major elimination without an replacement. Maybe a better example for you is Imageworks. Also, by your assertion, things are cut so other things can be added, what major things were added to Epcot after Wonders of Life was cut?

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Also, take a look at some the of analysis @ParentsOf4 has done. It shows that even though prices are at record levels, capitol spending on the parks is down from what it was in the past.

cw1982

Why does the majority believe that Frozen will raze the Norway pavilion? TDO can keep the entire attraction set in Norway with a simple character overlay. Take a look at my Armchair Imagineering. The only location that is fictional IP is Elsa's Ice Palace, which by canon, was built instantly using magic and can absolutely be moved to Norway (Maybe Elsa bequeaths the throne of Arendale to Anna and Kristoff, leaving her free to move her icy abode anywhere she wants.).

This way, Norway and Maelstrom (to an extant) can remain intact, maintaining the general nature of the pavilion.

The problem is that the general nature of the pavilion has already been compromised. The church, which used to be more about Viking culture, has been transformed into a justification of how Frozen fits into the pavilion. Many of the CM's who work that pavilion are being dismissed, and not just the ones who work the ride, so clearly more drastic changes are coming than just shutting down Maelstrom for a few months to make improvements.

And while Arendale might be based on a real place, Frozen is still an American cartoon that is only loosely based on a Norwegian fairy tale, to the point where the two have very little in common.

As others have said, if TDO put a Frozen ride in a more appropriate location, many of the people who don't like the current project would be perfectly happy. But the current trajectory is illogical.

PlutoHasFleas

If the sisters and Olaf become part of a new version of Maelstrom, the same concept that put those other characters in Epcot has been taken a step further in a way that downplays the things in Norwegian history and culture that have the potential to be exciting without the help of an American cartoon.
Except Norway doesn't care about showcasing their history or culture anymore. And I haven't read any posts from outraged Norwegians...

if TDO is so against parades, why did they debut a new one just this year? One that does bring guests to the parade route every day? They can afford both the parades and entertainment, along with the entertainment acts that played a role in helping to achieve the success they currently enjoy....
I don't think Off Kilt and Mo'Rockin sincerly contributed to the parks success on their own.

3. Wonders of life. You may not have liked it, but it doesn't change the fact that it was an major elimination without an replacement. Maybe a better example for you is Imageworks. Also, by your assertion, things are cut so other things can be added, what major things were added to Epcot after Wonders of Life was cut?
In this instence, it was the cost of keeping it open combined with decreased interest that lead to its demise. And I didn't say I didn't like WoL, I loved Body Wars when I was younger, but I would rather stand in line for Test Track then check out WoL if it was still open.

Many of the CM's who work that pavilion are being dismissed, and not just the ones who work the ride, so clearly more drastic changes are coming than just shutting down Maelstrom for a few months to make improvements.
CM's are not being let go because of the update. They are being relocated because of the closure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom