Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Empress Lilly

To all dead set against characters in WS-what about a Snow Whites Scary Adventures added to Germany(let's not bring Rhine River Cruise into this) or Pinocchios Daring Journey added to Italy? Curious it anyone's opinion is different for the classics
Clear no to me.

I love darktrides, love both movies, and love their versions elsewhere. But I love WDW's theme parks even more. I no more want a Snow White ride in Germany than I want Tokyo's awesome Tower of Terror on DAK's Discovery Island. It lessens the experience of something far more important than a ride.

WDW's parks are more than the sum of their parts. Random additions lessen them, regardless of the quality of the addition. Like adding ketchup to a Thai rice dish. I don't care how delcious I think the ketchup is in itself, the larger meal is ruined.

tl77

Fact aside that Disney should certainly be building new attractions in Epcot rather than replacing or revamping them and calling it a day, I can see why some feel this would be a natural fit:
11760111996_fd1cacd16a_z.jpg

That said, it took me 2 minutes on my iPad to make this. I'd much rather see them build something from scratch than take the easy way out, especially if the easy way is at the expense of the existing Maelstrom.

Yeah this is pretty much exactly what I'd expect they would do, because it took you 2 minutes to do it.

yensidtlaw1969

Yeah this is pretty much exactly what I'd expect they would do, because it took you 2 minutes to do it.
Exactly - for example, as much as I enjoy the Three Caballeros characters, I can't deny that it feels like they were just copied and pasted into El Rio Del Tiempo. The kind of money Frozen has made justifies a much bigger investment in adding the property to the parks than that sort of overlay.

Personally, I felt that the movie was creatively uneven and am not dying for it's presence in the way some people are, but if they feel compelled to do it then I seriously hope they acknowledge that the makings of an exciting and successful attraction are there and don't squander the opportunity for the sake of the dollar.

The Empress Lilly

Kids aren't going to enjoy a ride that feels like a history lesson.
Well a whole lot of children do enjoy history.

Even more importantly, EPCOT once hit bullseye, where it was both fun and inspirational-educational. Every parent will hand you over their credit card for that. To have their children play and learn at the same time, even - unique in the world - together with the parents. If only Disney would dare to dream again....

TWDC could really hit the jackpot with EPCOT. Instead of it being run by clever and crafty but ultimately unvisionary suits who understand how to increase merch by ten percent and f&B by twenty.

Voxel

President of Progress City

Even more importantly, EPCOT once hit bullseye, where it was both fun and inspirational-educational. Every parent will hand you over their credit card for that. To have their children play and learn at the same time, even - unique in the world - together with the parents. If only Disney would dare to dream again....

TWDC could really hit the jackpot with EPCOT. Instead of it being run by clever and crafty but ultimately unvisionary suits who understand how to increase merch by ten percent and f&B by twenty.
Your right. And talking to some of the people I know in Imagineering, So many of them dream of it, but ultimately blocked by the ones who pay the bills.

tl77

Exactly - for example, as much as I enjoy the Three Caballeros characters, I can't deny that it feels like they were just copied and pasted into El Rio Del Tiempo. The kind of money Frozen has made justifies a much bigger investment in adding the property to the parks than that sort of overlay.

Personally, I felt that the movie was creatively uneven and am not dying for it's presence in the way some people are, but if they feel compelled to do it then I seriously hope they acknowledge that the makings of an exciting and successful attraction are there and don't squander the opportunity for the sake of the dollar.

I agree with you on the artist points, but I'm looking at it strickly in terms of economics, which apparently is the only way Disney Executives look at these parks. It seems to me that EPCOT of today "survives" to some extent on festivals, each season of the year has one, Flower and Garden, Summer Concerts, Food and Wine, and Christmas processional.

Putting Frozen into Norway "kinda sorta" fits the theme like Nemo in the Living Seas, or Avatar in Animal Kingdom, and you argue whether they belong there or not forever, but Disney Executive logic is basically "these popular things will draw new people to these parks... PERIOD" So given that though process I think there's a pretty good chance this Frozen thing could happen, but I don't know if it's inherently a bad thing. I don't mind Martin Short in the Circle Vision film at Canada, I don't mind the Lion King characters in the film at the Land so I think it's possible there's way to do this that isn't awful

steamboatjosh

I, for one, have heard that Maelstrom has reached it's time so I wouldn't mind a Frozen-themed ride replacing it. However, I would still want the ride to showcase Norway. There are ways to do both, and it's Disney that we're talking about here so I'm sure they could figure out something really cool.

Matt_Black

Having just read the "Art of" book, I have to somewhat disagree. Everything about the film's visuals, from the architecture, to the fjords, to the rosemaling is directly influenced and rooted in Nordic culture.

Furthermore, composer Cristophe Beck worked with Norwegian Frode Fjellheim (sp?) for several bits of music in the film, most notably the Vuelie Cantus in the opening.

PeterAlt

I read an article today that said since Frozen has done so well, talks have already started about creating a ride and that it would replace Maelstrom at the Norway pavillion.

I really hope this doesn't happen. I would love a new ride in Epcot but it should be built not replace a classic ride, especially a still popular one.

Has anyone else heard about this?
Where was this article?

MMFanCipher

Since everyone keeps saying that TDO hates to spend money on the parks I'd say it will never happen.
But since it will let Disney do something relatively cheap and be able to say "See we ARE spending money
on the Parks!" They will do it.

Goofyernmost

As much as I would like to agree with your post, I think we have to take a big ole helping of reality here and realize that if EPCOT, as we knew it, was such a huge hit and draw, it would still be the same as we remember. My guess is that for every one of us that say it was great and had a purpose and a depth, we will find a dozen others that thought it was boring, and didn't go on vacation to be taught anything. Just entertained. They had no appreciation for what Disney was trying to do with EPCOT, just like so many never got what "Sounds Dangerous" was attempting to show or still don't understand what CoP is all about. Things change, times change, people change and their demands change. So what do we get... characters to make us laugh, cartoons to liven up the show, a much downsized Imagination, a gone forever Horizons, Wonders of Life and World of Motion. A living seas with a connection to Nemo. The only improvement I think ever happened there was World of Energy which went from a infomercial to a show that still taught something.

Prototype82

Fact aside that Disney should certainly be building new attractions in Epcot rather than replacing or revamping them and calling it a day, I can see why some feel this would be a natural fit:
11760111996_fd1cacd16a_z.jpg

That said, it took me 2 minutes on my iPad to make this. I'd much rather see them build something from scratch than take the easy way out, especially if the easy way is at the expense of the existing Maelstrom.
Thanks for illustrating my worst nightmare.

Magenta Panther

I am so sick to death of seeing perfectly fine Disney rides being putrefied with marketable Disney characters being forcefully vomited all over them. Seriously, whatever happened to original rides an attractions? Oh wait that's right, if they don't have marketable pre existing Disney characters plastered all over them, then the ride won't be as safe and marketable. Therefor, it needs to be marketable so I can make money and provide my starving family with a five story luxury yacht. I always forget the fundamentals of business sometimes....:rolleyes:

See, that was my gripe about the "Frozen" film. The "Snow Queen" story was completely changed and most of its characters jettisoned for something more marketable - like two - count 'em - TWO princesses! Ka-ching! :p

CJR

I don't see why this has to go in Epcot (and replace an already popular attraction).

For starters, DHS is in high need of more family friendly attractions, Epcot, not as much. Second, just because the film takes place in Norway doesn't mean it needs to be in the Norway pavilion. Otherwise, why not have a Mulan ride in China, a Pinocchio ride in Germany, a Beauty and the Beast ride in France, etc. That's silly logic and the ride would seem out of place since the other pavilions don't have similar attractions. Now, if Disney wants to put a ride in each other World Showcase pavilions, I'm OK with that, but if not, it's a bit inconsistent in theme.

Mexico was OK because the original film was kind of about educating its audience, Frozen not so much. Take out the LM show at DHS and there's room for a new attraction. They would have to get creative with the space, but I have faith in them.

Mrs.Toad

Not sure I believe this. Maybe because I don't want to. But I googled Frozen-Norway-Epcot and it is making the rounds. Not saying that means anything but the rumor is. I won't panic until the vets confirm or shoot down.

Instantly, when I contemplated this, I thought of how Akershus was stripped down and princess-itized and lost some street cred. To get rid of Maelstrom…No wait…They would keep elements of Maelstrom and butcher it and add some Frozen stuff a la Nemo, 3 Caballeros, and whatever Imagination is. Because to this day I still can't explain what the heck Imagination is anymore. I live in the past with that one. I like it better there.

And I have to admit, not happy when it happened, but I am not such a Grinch that I would begrudge little kids having a great time at a character dining experience, but...

This would be too much for that pavilion. It would just change the whole way it is represented. Only the bakery would be somewhat authentic, some of the shop items, and the cast members for crying out loud.

Not a good move. I would fear for the integrity/legacy of the pavilion. Not the first time, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom