Frozen in Norway: Am I the only one who doesn't mind?

Does anyone not mind if Frozen Ever After is in EPCOT?

• Yes

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters

Inspired Figment

You could pretty much say that about many rides making sense though? What's the 'story' with Pirates (before or after Captain Jack Sparrow was added) and how does it make 'sense'?

We're out at sea and suddenly go down a slope where there's a big pirate ship (how did the ship get there if there's a drop from the sea into the dock?) firing at a town containing more pirates? We see pirates causing mayhem and at the end some pirates locked up and a pirate not locked up with all the treasure. So are we being taught that it's ok to be a pirate and rob and steal as long as you're good at it, or is it a set of scenes to enjoy without thinking everything through too much?

How about Peter Pan if we'd not seen the film, would the scenes all make perfect sense?

We're flying over London and approaching a tropical island. There's some children, mermaids, pirates and Indians there, why? How did the kids get there, why is one walking the plank and why are there Indians there? There's a boy in green who's subdued the pirates and captured the ship, how did he do this? A pirate is standing on an alligator's jaw, how did that happen?

I could go through other attractions too but you get the idea. Some are better than others at telling a story, but a ride only has so much time to tell a 'story'. A lot of the time the visuals and the effects are what make the ride, if we want to find fault to the extreme of the lyrics not matching exactly what's happening then we could rubbish any attraction ever built.

For me Frozen would have probably been a better fit in the MK or DHS, however Maelstrom was something I rode only as long as the wait was only 10 mins or less. I believe the Frozen attraction is a far better 'ride' than Maelstrom was, far more entertaining and fun. I used to really hate the show you were encouraged to watch following Maelstrom, I'm sad to admit I used to run if the doors were still open to avoid it. Eventually they kept the doors open so it was optional, but I seem to remember originally they kept you in an area after disembarking and 'made' you all watch it?
I’d argue then the presentations within Norway should’ve been updated to be more captivating without compromising it’s original purpose & intent.

In regards to the attraction examples you gave. I’d say, None of those were exactly intended to tell a linear story that made sense. They were set to give you certain sensations & the ambiance of certain locations & what Pirates or ghosts do or how it feels to go through a haunted house or a Caribbean being pillaged by Pirates or how you felt within the movies (the feeling of actually flying over/through Neverland and Peter Pan battling Captain Hook). That’s not the same situation in Frozen Ever After’s case. I rewatched the attraction recently to refresh my memory and There is ‘Infact’ a linear story setup in journeying to Elsa’s ice castle and her inviting us for a summer celebration. The only problem is the way they executed the scenes setting up that journey with the ride system ( the Kristoff & Anna scene is just a repeat of the first scene in essence with little to no difference in the action going on, making it not very interesting or captivating) and by the time
we meet Elsa, she pushes us away, singing at us to “Let it Go” (unlike where at the very least in the first two previous scenes. They ‘did’ add lyrics to both “Wanna Build a Snowman’ & ‘First Time In Forever’ that Elsa is setting up/inviting us for a “Magic night” or a “snowy summer day for me and you”), then the snow monster comes up in the next scene, yells “I’m free!” (for what reason in context of the story & scenes setup, I don’t know..) and then it ends with Anna, Elsa, and Olaf singing “In Summer” with no changes to the lyrics to make it fit within the ride’s story. Is ‘that’ the celebration we were supposed to attend or no? I thought everyone in the kingdom was invited. Shouldn’t it have been an ending with more than just Anna, Elsa, and Olaf.

It’s mainly the execution of the idea that suffers, wherever it’s placed. Though at EPCOT, it particuarly sticks out like a sore thumb due to it making little to no effort to actually tie it into Norway in a fun & unique way.

Last edited:

mergatroid

I’d argue then the presentations within Norway should’ve been updated to be more captivating without compromising it’s original purpose & intent.

In regards to the attraction examples you gave. I’d say, None of those were exactly intended to tell a linear story that made sense. They were set to give you certain sensations & the ambiance of certain locations & what Pirates or ghosts do or how it feels to go through a haunted house or a Caribbean being pillaged by Pirates or how you felt within the movies (the feeling of actually flying over/through Neverland and Peter Pan battling Captain Hook). That’s not the same situation in Frozen Ever After’s case. I rewatched the attraction recently to refresh my memory and There is ‘Infact’ a linear story setup in journeying to Elsa’s ice castle and her inviting us for a summer celebration. The only problem is the way they executed the scenes setting up that journey with the ride system and by the time
we meet Elsa, she pushes us away, singing at us to “Let it Go” (unlike where at the very least in the first two previous scenes. They ‘did’ add lyrics to both “Wanna Build a Snowman’ & ‘First Time In Forever’ that Elsa is setting up/inviting us for a “Magic night” or a “snowy summer day for me and you”), then the snow monster comes up in the next scene, yells “I’m free!” (for what reason in context of the story & scenes setup, I don’t know..) and then it ends with Anna, Elsa, and Olaf singing “In Summer” with no changes to the lyrics to make it fit within the ride’s story. Is ‘that’ the celebration we were supposed to attend or no? I thought everyone in the kingdom was invited. Shouldn’t it have been an ending with more than just Anna, Elsa, and Olaf.

It’s mainly the execution of the idea that suffers, wherever it’s placed. Though at EPCOT, it particuarly sticks out like a sore thumb due to it making little to no effort to actually tie it into Norway in a fun & unique way.
I think you're really looking to find faults if you go to this extreme? When you say "she pushes us away after being invited" did you expect to stay there indefinitely? She waves her hands a bit but that's all, she doesn't say "Clear off" and spit at you :D

If you want to say it's ok to judge some rides one way and not others that's ok, just seems a bit odd to me.

Last edited:

celluloid

It sucks they could not have left at least an "oh no" moment with Marshmallow rescuing us from a fall. The kinetic energy and great design of the open cavern is completely ruined and now a pointless waterfall.

Inspired Figment

Also, when we’re talking about flume rides with music & a linear story. Splash Mountain is a perfect example of this done properly. Each of the scenes flow nicely and fit within the context of the setup story… Br’er Rabbit wanting to leave his home while outsmarting Br’er Fox & Br’er Bear who are out to catch him.. same with some of the rewritten song lyrics and how they fit with the action of each scene along with the ride system.
I think you're really looking to find faults if you go to this extreme? When you say "she pushes us away after being invited" did you expect to stay there indefinitely? She waves
Nope, but a better way to do that would’ve been for her to atleast “sing” or tell us she was using her powers to transport us to the spot where the celebration was taking place she was possibly getting ready to go to/meet us at or something.. possibly to the ‘tune’ of Let it Go’.. but not the same lyrics.

Last edited:

celluloid

Well, why is it called a studio when it long ceased to function as a literal studio? There should be another reason for it beyond just being another name for "movies".

There is still a ton of references to the behind the scenes and romantacized idea of show business of putting on productions.

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular(presuming it opens)
Backlot Express
Muppetvision 3D
G Force Records
The clientele for Tower of Terror were the Hollywood Elite working in show business.
The street settings and ficiton facilities
Sci Fi Diner.
Various props and set pieces scattered around the park.
Star Wars Launch Bay is literally an exhibit of props and pieces from the films.(presuming it can reopen)
Walt Disney Presents

mergatroid

Also, when we’re talking about flume rides with music & a linear story. Splash Mountain is a perfect example of this done properly. Each of the scenes flow nicely and fit within the context overall story… Br’er Rabbit outsmarting Br’er Fox & Br’er Bear who are out to catch him.. same with the song lyrics and how they fit with the action of each scene.

Nope, but a better way to do that would’ve been for her to atleast “sing” or tell us she was using her powers to transport us to the spot where the celebration was taking place she was possibly getting to go to or something.. possibly to the ‘tune’ of Let it Go’.. but not the same lyrics.
And there'd be loads of people complaining about the iconic song being changed. It's Olaf if I'm not mistaken saying "we're going to the ice palace", you do realise he's not the sharpest tool in the shed? But anyway, fair enough. It obviously isn't to your liking and it's not any different to me than anything other rides do, we see it differently but that's not a bad thing.

Inspired Figment

And there'd be loads of people complaining about the iconic song being changed. It's Olaf if I'm not mistaken saying "we're going to the ice palace", you do realise he's not the sharpest tool in the shed? But anyway, fair enough. It obviously isn't to your liking and it's not any different to me than anything other rides do, we see it differently but that's not a bad thing.
There weren’t people complaining about any of the song lyrics being changed in Splash Mountain to fit within the way the scenes are setup in the ride. And yes, you’re right regarding Olaf. Still. If Olaf, Krostoff, and Anna are all getting us excited to see Elsa & Elsa treats us that way, singing at us to “Let it Go” & pushing us away with her powers. It comes off as Elsa not wanting to see us and for us to “let it go”. Lol! If that wasn’t supposed to be the celebration we were supposed to be invited to that Olaf and everyone else mentions earlier in the ride.. then that scene doesn’t make much sense within the context setup for the story IMO. I almost feel like the Snow Monster should’ve been put in that scene, then the Frozen trolls afterwords before the final drop, ‘then, have a better finale scene with everyone at the celebration with Elsa doing fun magic tricks and the like for everyone there.

Still though, I think the animatronics and spfx are fantastic for sure. But yeah, like you said.. we have different opinions on the matter and that’s fine.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

So do you view it as a re-theme or a replacement?
Replacement. Because the show itself is ‘drastically’ different from the original. To the point little to none of the original show scenes exist anymore. (Think like Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway compared to the Great Movie Ride) So it’s a replacement. A retheme is something like Small World & Haunted Mansion Holiday , the Country Bear Vacation Hoedown & Christmas shows or Tiki Room: Under New Management.

Inspired Figment

But in all honestly, I suppose all those terms could all be used interchangeably. Another word for the retheme examples used are overlays.. but ultimately it can either be temporary ‘or’ permanent depending on what Disney decides to do with it.. so yeah.

BlakeW39

And what about the Studios? Where are the objections about lands themed to Toy Story and Star Wars being put in a studio park, even though the studio concept is long dead? The only way those would be thematically appropriate is if they had filming equipment around, like a real studio, such as lights and cameras, and that the Toy Story midway ride or Rise of the Resistance are not actually "rides", but watching something being "filmed".

1. There have been objections to Toy Story & Star Wars in DHS

2. DHS is in an identity crisis right now, and currently it's just viewed as a "ride the movies park," so Star Wars and Toy Story fit just fine, as would Frozen.

3. EPCOT has a strong identity, like it or leave it, and so a thematic inconsistency will be reacted to strongly. DHS does not have a strong identity, and its theme isn't really even clear let alone cohesive.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well, why is it called a studio when it long ceased to function as a literal studio? There should be another reason for it beyond just being another name for "movies".
Maybe they should. But either way that has nothing to do with a Frozen ride being in the third park. Personally I’ve already said it should have gone in Fantasyland as best, and then DHS.

ohioguy

A Frozen section should be built in DHS, as that park perfectly lends itself it IP-themed lands. It, like Toy Story, is one of the biggest properties Disney owns. As for Norway and FEA, it is what it is. EPCOT really needed/needs a revitalization. It simply couldn't ignore the fact that visitors wanted thrills and not just edutainment. I would look for almost every pavilion around World Showcase to eventually receive a bonafide attraction, except for perhaps Morocco.

Phineas85

I don't mind it at all, I think it's very magical and a wonderful experience for the fans of the ride.

My initial issue with it was I felt it a shame (not the end of the world btw!) that EPCOT was moving away from the more conservative education and innovation type park by doing it, as EPCOT is the one park I would always recommend to those who maybe aren't into theme parks but would want to give one a try if they were in the area. For the most part, I would say this is still true.

I also thought that a franchise as big as Frozen deserved a whole new ride and land if it's own, and not just a redressed older ride and area, but it does seem to work - utilising the old load area as part of the ride and using the old unload for both has gained a significant amount of ride. I was sorry to see The Maelstrom go as Norse Mythology and Culture was an area of interest for me, but I suppose it could have been seen as boring for younger and more modern audiences.

It's part of the package now and think has earned it's place however - it is a memorable experience to take kids on it who enjoy it, as well as meet the stars in the (very well themed) meet and greet!

Heppenheimer

There weren’t people complaining about any of the song lyrics being changed in Splash Mountain to fit within the way the scenes are setup in the ride. And yes, you’re right regarding Olaf. Still. If Olaf, Krostoff, and Anna are all getting us excited to see Elsa & Elsa treats us that way, singing at us to “Let it Go” & pushing us away with her powers. It comes off as Elsa not wanting to see us and for us to “let it go”. Lol! If that wasn’t supposed to be the celebration we were supposed to be invited to that Olaf and everyone else mentions earlier in the ride.. then that scene doesn’t make much sense within the context setup for the story IMO. I almost feel like the Snow Monster should’ve been put in that scene, then the Frozen trolls afterwords before the final drop, ‘then, have a better finale scene with everyone at the celebration with Elsa doing fun magic tricks and the like for everyone there.

Still though, I think the animatronics and spfx are fantastic for sure. But yeah, like you said.. we have different opinions on the matter and that’s fine.
I've always kind of viewed Elsa as the real villain of Frozen anyway. Maybe her pushing us away is Disney finally showing us her true colors.

Heppenheimer

Blue Sky Imagineering idea... if you want a Frozen-themed land at a Disney property that really fits thematically, revive Walt's aborted 1960s idea for a ski resort (although, find a new location, since Mineral King is now part of a National Park).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom