Frozen in Norway: Am I the only one who doesn't mind?

Does anyone not mind if Frozen Ever After is in EPCOT?

• Yes

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters

mharrington

Original Poster
Even if they don’t.. that still doesn’t change the fact that it’s a ‘Movie’ themed park with ‘Movie’ focused rides… just like Universal is, minus the Studio Tour part.

They need to change the name of the park then, so that there is no "studios" in the name. What, though, I don't know. I do know, however, that the name of the studio park in Paris should also change its name. They are going to get a Frozen land.

Inspired Figment

They need to change the name of the park then, so that there is no "studios" in the name. What, though, I don't know. I do know, however, that the name of the studio park in Paris should also change its name. They are going to get a Frozen land.
I mean.. considering the rides are still focused on the ‘films’ that the ‘Disney Studios’ makes… there isn’t much need to change the name tbh… but if they do, it’d probably be best to make it something along the lines of. “Disney Cinemagic Park”.. Just look at Universal. They’ve been deviating a lot of their recent attractions comparatively to focus more on being ‘within’ the movies or studio IPs they own, rather than the filmmaking process.

mharrington

Original Poster
I mean.. considering the rides are still focused on the ‘films’ that the ‘Disney Studios’ makes… there isn’t much need to change the name tbh… but if they do, it’d probably be best to make it something along the lines of. “Disney Cinemagic Park”.. Just look at Universal. They’ve been deviating a lot of their recent attractions comparatively to focus more on being ‘within’ the movies or studio IPs they own, rather than the filmmaking process.

I'm just saying that the word "studios" should be dropped from the name, because it's not actually a literal studio anymore.

Inspired Figment

I'm just saying that the word "studios" should be dropped from the name, because it's not actually a literal studio anymore.
Okay.. but Disney Studios Paris as far as I’m aware isn’t a working studio and still has the studios name. Let’s not forget to mention Universal Japan & Singapore.. they’re not working studios as far as I’m aware either.

mharrington

Original Poster
Okay.. but Disney Studios Paris as far as I’m aware isn’t a working studio and still has the studios name. Do you think they should change the name of that park also? Let’s not forget to mention Universal Japan & Singapore.. they’re not working studios as far as I’m aware either.

Yes, I think the studios park in Paris should have its name changed, too, as I said.

Inspired Figment

Only you seem to be saying that. I’m not.
To be fair Marni, he/she isn’t the only one saying that. A good number of folks have said the same thing atleast in regards to that… even Disney themselves had considered changing the name due to the fact it’s no longer a working studio. I don’t think anybody should argue though, that it isn’t a ‘ride the movies’ focused park like Universal Studios however, because it most definitley is.

However, I think atleast within this forum, which the poster I definitely feel like should’ve gotten by now, is that most of the folks ‘here’ don’t think Frozen Ever After is a good fit for the Norway pavilion at EPCOT.. 2 forum threads weren’t needed to get that feedback for this question. Now, if he were to ask the folks currently in charge at Disney this question or possibly even another group of folks on another social media site. They may feel more like the OP does… and in that case, well, hopefully the OP feels happier or validated that others share his or her opinion.. and that’s fine. You know, everyone has different opinions.

Last edited:

mharrington

Original Poster
Only you seem to be saying that. I’m not.

Your argument is going around in circles

Well, why is it called a studio when it long ceased to function as a literal studio? There should be another reason for it beyond just being another name for "movies".

Inspired Figment

Well, why is it called a studio when it long ceased to function as a literal studio? There should be another reason for it beyond just being another name for "movies".
You’ve basically answered your own question.. because the movies are the product of the Disney movie ‘studios’. That’s their reasoning.. and it’s the same reasoning Universal does the same type of rides mainly versus the ‘filmmaking’ focused ones they used to do and why Universal Singapore & Japan aren’t currently working studios as far as I’m aware.

mightynine

Because it’s a theme park themed toward Hollywood and movies? This is like asking why is it called the Magic Kingdom when there’s not actual Magic and royalty in the park.

mharrington

Original Poster
You’ve basically answered your own question.. because the movies are the product of the Disney movie ‘studios’. That’s their reasoning.. and it’s the same reasoning Universal does the same type of rides mainly versus the ‘filmmaking’ focused ones they used to do and why Universal Singapore & Japan aren’t currently working studios as far as I’m aware.

I really have no say about Universal, but why is it still called a studio at Disney? I am asking in part because I was raised on the castle parks (especially Disneyland) and Epcot, and also because the park is no longer a real studio. Maybe if they changed the name, it wouldn't be so bad. I also am willing to overlook thematic issues in Epcot.

mightynine

Even then, the name of Magic Kingdom also makes sense due to Cinderella castle and the presence of Disney Magic throughout the park (though not strictly fairytale/fantasy themed of course, that’s of course destined to Fantasyland.. but the “Magic” of what Disney’s capable of producing as a whole applies to the whole park. Both names still apply to their overall themes I think.

All I’m saying is the OP is taking the name of DHS too literal, for whatever reason. It doesn’t have to be an actual working studio because it’s a theme park at a vacation resort.

mergatroid

I think it could fit well in Norway if they actually included real parts of Norway in there and actually made the ride scenes & “plot” flow nicely. The problem is it’s just “ride past a bunch of your favorite characters singing songs from the movie (out of context I might add)” & “we’re gonna see Elsa in her ice castle” and what does Elsa sing to us when we get there? “Let it Go” while pushing us away? Could’ve sworn we were invited to visit Elsa at her ice castle right? So how does that song nor her action there make sense in that context?? Then basically we end it with Olaf singing “In Summer”.. for what reason exactly? Are we celebrating how summer feels in Arendelle, in Norway?? What am I really supposed to take from that experience? If it’s only “see & hear your favorite characters & songs from Frozen”, I call that a really poor excuse for not only an EPCOT World Showcase attraction that’s supposed to remind me of Norway, but as a Frozen ride on it’s own. Great Spfx & animatronics don’t make the ride. (They did fine in that regard). The execution of the subject or concept at hand does.

I’d say, if they wanted to invest to make it actually relevant to the theme of Norway & Norwegian culture at hand, taking inspiration from Frozen 2 (which is much more culture focused, thrilling in story regarding its action & plot and actually fits the nature of a flume ride) and having the flow, action, & songs make sense in regards to the context of the ride. That’d be great.. but as it stands, Under Chapek I don’t see that happening anytime soon.
You could pretty much say that about many rides making sense though? What's the 'story' with Pirates (before or after Captain Jack Sparrow was added) and how does it make 'sense'?

We're out at sea and suddenly go down a slope where there's a big pirate ship (how did the ship get there if there's a drop from the sea into the dock?) firing at a town containing more pirates? We see pirates causing mayhem and at the end some pirates locked up and a pirate not locked up with all the treasure. So are we being taught that it's ok to be a pirate and rob and steal as long as you're good at it, or is it a set of scenes to enjoy without thinking everything through too much?

How about Peter Pan if we'd not seen the film, would the scenes all make perfect sense?

We're flying over London and approaching a tropical island. There's some children, mermaids, pirates and Indians there, why? How did the kids get there, why is one walking the plank and why are there Indians there? There's a boy in green who's subdued the pirates and captured the ship, how did he do this? A pirate is standing on an alligator's jaw, how did that happen?

I could go through other attractions too but you get the idea. Some are better than others at telling a story, but a ride only has so much time to tell a 'story'. A lot of the time the visuals and the effects are what make the ride, if we want to find fault to the extreme of the lyrics not matching exactly what's happening then we could rubbish any attraction ever built.

For me Frozen would have probably been a better fit in the MK or DHS, however Maelstrom was something I rode only as long as the wait was only 10 mins or less. I believe the Frozen attraction is a far better 'ride' than Maelstrom was, far more entertaining and fun. I used to really hate the show you were encouraged to watch following Maelstrom, I'm sad to admit I used to run if the doors were still open to avoid it. Eventually they kept the doors open so it was optional, but I seem to remember originally they kept you in an area after disembarking and 'made' you all watch it?

Inspired Figment

I also am willing to overlook thematic issues in Epcot.
fair enough, I’m sure there are people willing to overlook thematic issues at EPCOT and really any other park. However, I’d argue that it doesn’t neccesarily make Disney’s current creative decisions with the park “right”. Though that’s also my opinion, just as you have the opinion that it may be “right” in your eyes. When it comes to this forum though, as should be clearly seen by now I’d hope, most people don’t feel that way as what can be seen in both threads you created regarding the topic. Try asking the question in another forum or social media outlet and see if you get a different response. Clearly you aren’t happy with the response you’re getting here, so if you genuinely only want your opinion validated, I’d try another site or forum to see if you get different results

Little Green Men

But it's not a studio park. Disney's Hollywood Studios has long since abandoned any pretense of using its facilitates as a studio. Universal still uses its parks as real studios, even in Florida. How can it continue to be called "studios" if it's not actually used as a studio?

I just don't think it's fair to be so critical about Frozen being in Norway when it's not the worst offender theme-wise.
It’s a movie park themed to the golden age of hollywood and stepping into movie worlds

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom