Frozen in Norway: Am I the only one who doesn't mind?

Does anyone not mind if Frozen Ever After is in EPCOT?

• Yes

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters

Dreaming of Disney World

I like it. The Norway ride was ok. Really the best part was the little drop in the ride track. I have no interest in Norway's history, and I would only reride for the drop. But the Frozen ride is entertaining. My family loves that movie. My favorite part is when you see Elsa, and you start going backwards as she sings Let It Go. And as you go on you hear her singing all around you. It's much more entertaining than a history lesson on Norway. This is Disney World, not history world.

Po'Rich

I'm rather mixed about it all. I like the Frozen ride (except for the creepy projection-animatronics), and I really like what they've done with the ride queue. However, Disney's Arendelle is not Norway. I liked that World Showcase would provide a glimpse into various cultures and not just present more Disney Fantasies (as we can easily find in Magic Kingdom).

By replacing the Norway Pavillion with Disney's Arendelle, we take a step towards transforming Epcot into another Fantasyland. In my view, such a move starts to eliminate some of what makes Epcot different from Magic Kingdom and Disneyland.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Only two groups on this one. Those that are quite fine with it and those that think the world is about to end if something in an entertainment theme park might include fantasy.
Or those that are happy to have a Frozen ride in Norway but think shoehorning it into the existing footprint of the existing ride was a bad move.

Goofyernmost

Or those that are happy to have a Frozen ride in Norway but think shoehorning it into the existing footprint of the existing ride was a bad move.
Come on they may have not expanded the ride over a few feet, but the fact that expanded the pavilion and the general area very extensively. I don't see where they had any need to expend the ride itself.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Come on they may have not expanded the ride over a few feet, but the fact that expanded the pavilion and the general area very extensively. I don't see where they had any need to expend the ride itself.
Instead of creating something new and original the imagineers had to shoehorn the ride into the existing footprint. therefore a sub par ride imho.

Goofyernmost

Instead of creating something new and original the imagineers had to shoehorn the ride into the existing footprint. therefore a sub par ride imho.
It's in the dark, in a boat floating along on water with a completely new show from the previous one. My feeling is using that argument is a massive overreaction because of losing an attraction that some liked. Was the old show so massively tremendous that the new one cannot compete or does one really feel that they remember every inch of the water ride part and the twists and turns were memorized and the likeness is disturbing. I only remember the path when it came to the backup and drop, but even the change it doesn't seem like the same thing. The entire current pavilion IS the show, not just the ride part.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's in the dark, in a boat floating along on water with a completely new show from the previous one. My feeling is using that argument is a massive overreaction because of losing an attraction that some liked. Was the old show so massively tremendous that the new one cannot compete or does one really feel that they remember every inch of the water ride part and the twists and turns were memorized and the likeness is disturbing. I only remember the path when it came to the backup and drop, but even the change it doesn't seem like the same thing. The entire current pavilion IS the show, not just the ride part.
I am not so much concerned with losing an attraction, I just hate when all they really do is reskin an existing attraction vs a full demo and rebuild.

They could have done so much more had they been able to start with a clean slate, but they are stuck with trying to fit a modern ride into late 80's chassis.

You can take the engine out of 2021 Vette and shove it in a 1976 Vega and while it will be better than the original Vega, it will never be as good as the Vette it came out of.

elcheapo

Do you all realize while the theming is different it’s the same boat ride QUOTE="Dreaming of Disney World, post: 9907101, member: 117317"]
I like it. The Norway ride was ok. Really the best part was the little drop in the ride track. I have no interest in Norway's history, and I would only reride for the drop. But the Frozen ride is entertaining. My family loves that movie. My favorite part is when you see Elsa, and you start going backwards as she sings Let It Go. And as you go on you hear her singing all around you. It's much more entertaining than a history lesson on Norway. This is Disney World, not history world.
[/QUOTE]

Goofyernmost

I am not so much concerned with losing an attraction, I just hate when all they really do is reskin an existing attraction vs a full demo and rebuild.

They could have done so much more had they been able to start with a clean slate, but they are stuck with trying to fit a modern ride into late 80's chassis.

You can take the engine out of 2021 Vette and shove it in a 1976 Vega and while it will be better than the original Vega, it will never be as good as the Vette it came out of.
Reality check... just exactly what makes you think they would have done it any better if they had nuke'd the old building and messed up World Showcase even more. Reality Check #2... Maelstrom never was a highly popular attraction. All they did was improve and boast up the Norway pavilion and expanded the pavilions size and popularity. I fail to see anything that is bad about that.

Goofyernmost

Loosing something I liked is part of it.

Squeezing something in that would have benefited from being purpose built is another.

Locating it where it shouldn’t have been put is another.

But it’s the Bobs Diznee.
I will give you the losing something you like as legit. I question the purpose built and location as only random. You, of all people know that EPCOT Ctr. had died on the vine. Sad, yes, but none the less absolute. I just stated that the idea that it would have been any better had the started from scratch is just wishful thinking. They needed something to brace up Norway so it could at least stay as part of World Showcase. The only future for Norway was closure or destruction or in all probability both. They can no longer get countries to foot the bill for a new Pavilion, that is reality, So they did the next best thing they put in Frozen which has a Scandinavian feel to it and used it to keep World Showcase looking the same. It's all well and good to have liked something that is now gone. I have huge numbers of those things from MK, EPCOT, DHS and even DAK gone over the last 38 years that I miss a lot, but change is necessary to make sure things do not get stagnant. My opinion is that they did a very nice job saving something that was on the road out. Think about the number of closed for decades attractions that currently exist and a quick thought will indicate that Disney has no problem boarding up buildings for years. I'm just thankful that they found a way to keep that location alive. That particular thing was just one of the Bob's and I feel that he made the right choice considering the workable options.

Prince John

Maelstrom will always have a fond place in my heart, but I understand why this overhaul was made. In a perfect world, Disney could have used space elsewhere to put Frozen, and leave Norway as it was, but life's not always that simple. It is what it is, the Frozen ride is decent enough (LOVE the "village" queue). My biggest complaint would be the tunnel of just... nothing, as you go backwards after Elsa's palace. Just some lights and a whole lotta nothing. I really missed the polar bears from Maelstrom's version. That section really needs something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom