Frozen in Norway: Am I the only one who doesn't mind?

Does anyone not mind if Frozen Ever After is in EPCOT?

• Yes

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters

Disstevefan1

Am I the only one who has no problem with Frozen Ever After being in Norway? It's not that bad a fit, is it? It's not a perfect fit, but it's not bad either.
It’s fine. I would have liked it better if we kept the old ride and created a new Frozen ride somewhere else, just like I would have preferred having both Horizons and Mission Space.

But I understand they can’t just keep building new attractions, they must re use spaces.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Frozen in a Norwegian styled part of Fantasyland is fabulous.

Frozen in a Norway pavilion in a World Showcase is not.

But okay, that ship has sailed (Ha! Medium quality word play!) EPCOT is dead, in the IP Replacement Park anything goes.

A lot has to do with timing. The Fantasyland expansion was planned and green lit before Disney knew what a "Frozen" was. I think in hindsight - if the expansion would have happened a bit later Frozen could very well have been the center piece of that expansion.

Minthorne

Only two groups on this one. Those that are quite fine with it and those that think the world is about to end if something in an entertainment theme park might include fantasy.
2E9352AE-7939-4878-A84A-63993A12581E.jpeg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Am I the only one who has no problem with Frozen Ever After being in Norway? It's not that bad a fit, is it? It's not a perfect fit, but it's not bad either.
Funnily enough there’s a similar discussion already going on here

Imagine that.

JIMINYCR

I'm not a Frozen fan and hated to see Maelstrom replaced. Ive ridden it several times each trip but it isnt an attraction I'd wait long for or be disappointed if I missed out on riding it on a trip. Having it in Norway doesnt affect me and I'm not bothered that the film isnt Norway based. I think it never enters the mind of 90% of those who ride it. Their goal is only to entertain their kids wishes to see the characters, sing along and see Olaf. Its the purist, literalist Disney fan that analyzes every little move Disney makes and feels anything out of line ruins the Disney universe and therefore vocalizes displeasure. Being situated in Norway or being somewhere else doesnt change the enjoyment the attraction brings to those who ride.

Chip Chipperson

I like it. I will say that I never rode Maelstrom because I have no idea if the ride existed in 1986 for my 1st visit as a kid and it was closed to build Frozen Ever After when I returned with my wife in 2015. The ride would be amazing in Fantasyland, but I understand why they went with Epcot instead. That park was lacking in headliners compared to Magic Kingdom - and since Fantasyland had just recently received a makeover it made sense to upgrade Epcot rather than trying to find a place to squeeze in a new ride when they had just sunk a ton of money into Fantasyland.

James Norrie

My issue isn't with IP synergy in Epcot. Frozen Ever After is a fun trip through a fictional land loosely based on The Snow Queen, which is rooted in Scandinavian folklore. Norway being part of Scandinavia gives it a fit, even if a tight, shoehorned fit.

My issue is with Epcot evolving the way it has. I can admit to myself that it was fatally flawed from the outset, even before the gates opened in 1982. To have a "Future World" based off of {today's} technology to promote what could happen tomorrow was always going to require constant updates and replacements. Heck, the Astuter Computer Review lasted what, 2 years (if that)??? The writing was already on the wall with the wrangling of leadership between dreamers like Walker and Business-Types like Eisner/Wells. But I digress...

Goofyernmost

Actually I think that’s the definition. Light/dark, on/off, 0/1…

..but then people get all quantum on me and Ziggy never responds clearly.
Question... What would the exact point where light becomes dark be called? I have a light switch that when I switch it off it doesn't go off for about 5 minutes. Absolutely not not light and not dark along with off but still on. Not really absolute?

Goofyernmost

Seriously, though, who besides has no objections about Frozen being in the Norway Pavilion? I wasn't expecting a lot of joking or sarcasm, I was expecting actual answers.
Lighten up just a bit. The answers are quite often in the "joking or sarcasm". Mostly in the sarcasm, but still answers to your question. If someone doesn't reply with "It's an abomination of nature and probably the worse thing that anyone has ever seen in all of history" you can be sure they didn't like it and can't join your club.

Poseidon Quest

My issue is with Epcot evolving the way it has. I can admit to myself that it was fatally flawed from the outset, even before the gates opened in 1982. To have a "Future World" based off of {today's} technology to promote what could happen tomorrow was always going to require constant updates and replacements. Heck, the Astuter Computer Review lasted what, 2 years (if that)??? The writing was already on the wall with the wrangling of leadership between dreamers like Walker and Business-Types like Eisner/Wells. But I digress...

Was it so flawed though? I'll agree that Computer Revue was immediately outdated, but not the rest of the park. Marty Sklar made it clear in his book "Dream It!, Do It!" that Epcot attractions were meant to inspire and fascinate, exciting people for the actual future rather than representing it. Horizons is a bit sci-fi even by today's standards and would still be relevant if still around. World of Motion, like Spaceship Earth, has a strong emphasis on history, with the future being vague enough to adapt accordingly. Journey Into Imagination was timeless, and the original Living Seas isn't irrelevant. I actually did a breakdown of how relevant the science of Living with the Land is, and discovered that while the technology on display there is now widely used, it's not necessarily out-dated and instead works as a contemporary showcase of how the agricultural and fishing industries will continue to evolve.

James Norrie

Was it so flawed though? I'll agree that Computer Revue was immediately outdated, but not the rest of the park. Marty Sklar made it clear in his book "Dream It!, Do It!" that Epcot attractions were meant to inspire and fascinate, exciting people for the actual future rather than representing it. Horizons is a bit sci-fi even by today's standards and would still be relevant if still around. World of Motion, like Spaceship Earth, has a strong emphasis on history, with the future being vague enough to adapt accordingly. Journey Into Imagination was timeless, and the original Living Seas isn't irrelevant. I actually did a breakdown of how relevant the science of Living with the Land is, and discovered that while the technology on display there is now widely used, it's not necessarily out-dated and instead works as a contemporary showcase of how the agricultural and fishing industries will continue to evolve.

Perhaps I should have been more specific: communicore/innoventions is where I was truly pointing the comment. You are correct afaic when it comes to The Land, SSE, JII, and TLS. World of Motion and Horizons proved to fall victim to the update standards, and were replaced by attractions that are much easier to manage expectations on as well as update to keep relevant.

I'm happy that WS has not been terribly affected by much, until recently (past 6 years or so...) at least. Which brings me full circle back to Frozen being in Norway. I never had an issue with El Rio Del Tiempo being replaced by the (very) IP Driven Gran Fiesta Tour. It actually added some life to the ride. I don't think I would have any issue with Mulan in China. I have no qualms about Rat in France. I would have no issue with Mary Poppins in the UK pavilion. To me, these are attractions in the greatest theme park ever conceived (even though I just called it fatally-flawed... I know, I have some cognitive dissonance to work out here lol). Part of Walt's vision of EPCOT was for it to always be evolving, and the park itself is proof that his vision is being honored. It evolved from being an actual city, to what it is now (and I personally believe we got the better outcome). He always said his parks should always be improving, evolving, and replacing/plussing. Why wouldn't that apply to a park with declining attendance and rapidly fading relevance?

Minthorne

Question... What would the exact point where light becomes dark be called? I have a light switch that when I switch it off it doesn't go off for about 5 minutes. Absolutely not not light and not dark along with off but still on. Not really absolute?
If you look closely you can see that exact point in this picture.
68F71A2F-DA80-42FA-8949-6FBD27F44864.jpeg

If you can’t. Keep drinking til you see the dark 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom