Frozen in Norway: Am I the only one who doesn't mind?

Does anyone not mind if Frozen Ever After is in EPCOT?

• Yes

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters

Walt Disney1955

Aside from everything, it is a very good ride. I think they do a tremendous job of it. It still has that old Norwegian Maelstrom feel to it and if you rode Maelstrom you can understand, but the ride on its own is still very good. Now.....................like others have said, is it a better fit in Magic Kingdom? Yeah, I think so. Would work great in Fantasyland. It is pretty big though. I can see to an extent why some people want to see Epcot stayed more geared towards adult-themed rides. As that one famous Hitler spoof video said (the one where he complains about different things, one video being Disney) they may as well put mouse ears on the Spaceship Earth! I think you could argue World Showcase could have been untouched with the IPs. I can see that. But as I have stated before, there could still be a wonderful Mary Poppins ride in England. If it were up to me, Maelstrom ride stays and Frozen is in Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland. Just to sort of preserve the mystique a bit.

Heppenheimer

I wouldn't mind a Frozen-themed tour of Norway. If it sparks an interest in some little girl to learn more about the real country, then mission accomplished. Likewise, a Mary Poppins-guided tour of London or the UK as a whole would satiate Disney's addiction to inserting its IP in every square inch of the parks, but still remain true to World Showcase's original purpose.

It's not like you're need to give kids a dry, boring lesson on geography. The well-known and loved Disney "fantasy" and "storybook" looks derive heavily from the cultural landscapes of the UK, France, Germany, and to a lesser extent, Italy and now Norway. Just put the characters in the real environments and you kill two birds with one stone- you don't stray too far beyond the original intent of Epcot as a permanent World's Fair, and Chapeck gets to shill more Disney merchandise, just perhaps trinkets that are a better fit for each World Showcase pavilion.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Am I the only one who has no problem with Frozen Ever After being in Norway? It's not that bad a fit, is it? It's not a perfect fit, but it's not bad either.
I've never had any issue with it. I do understand though there are some Epcot purist who will analyze every minuet detail of the park. but I also don't have a problem with seeing Disney characters in a Disney park.
I thought maelstrom was old boring and tired.

Heppenheimer

Disney wants you to spend the big bucks to go on one of their cruises for that.
Oddly enough, Norway is one the few destinations I would visit on a cruise. Some of its most gorgeous natural features (the fjords), are best appreciated by boat.

Hey, did you hear that Chapeck? Rather than using a ride to advertise a movie that you've already squeezed dry for every last penny, you could use the Norway pavilion to promote another one of your high-margin business lines.

Animaniac93-98

Oddly enough, Norway is one the few destinations I would visit on a cruise. Some of its most gorgeous natural features (the fjords), are best appreciated by boat.

Hey, did you hear that Chapeck? Rather than using a ride to advertise a movie that you've already squeezed dry for every last penny, you could use the Norway pavilion to promote another one of your high-margin business lines.

The Norway pavilion used to promote tourism to Norway.

Ironic that they don't do that anymore now they sell their own tours and cruises to the country.

JAB

The problem I have with FEA in Norway is that Arendelle, while obviously inspired by real Scandinavian countries, is fictional, and World Showcase had always been about real countries. Things like the Stave Church Gallery exhibit they had on how Norway inspired Frozen was fantastic, and exactly the type of thing that should be there to tie the Disney IP to the real country, but a Frozen-themed attraction crosses the line for me.

That being said, I'll still ride and enjoy it.

SteveAZee

If the goal is to have the pavilions reflect the character and culture of the countries they represent (from the architecture to the cast members to the food), then Frozen doesn't make much sense. I don't hate the ride... it's enjoyable. I spent a lot of years enjoying Maelstrom too.

vikescaper

I don’t mind the ride but it isn’t a must do for me while at Epcot. Back before the pandemic hit, I would only go on it if I could get a fastpass for it. I think I have been on it once or twice since the parks reopened last year. Without Fastpass, the line is usually too long for such a short ride.

Inspired Figment

Was it so flawed though? I'll agree that Computer Revue was immediately outdated, but not the rest of the park. Marty Sklar made it clear in his book "Dream It!, Do It!" that Epcot attractions were meant to inspire and fascinate, exciting people for the actual future rather than representing it. Horizons is a bit sci-fi even by today's standards and would still be relevant if still around. World of Motion, like Spaceship Earth, has a strong emphasis on history, with the future being vague enough to adapt accordingly. Journey Into Imagination was timeless, and the original Living Seas isn't irrelevant. I actually did a breakdown of how relevant the science of Living with the Land is, and discovered that while the technology on display there is now widely used, it's not necessarily out-dated and instead works as a contemporary showcase of how the agricultural and fishing industries will continue to evolve.

I honestly really liked Computer Revue but of course it would’ve had to have been updated as time went on to showcase the newer technology running the park. Otherwise I agree with you though.

wdw2011por

Am I the only one who has no problem with Frozen Ever After being in Norway? It's not that bad a fit, is it? It's not a perfect fit, but it's not bad either.
I don’t mind it and my daughter loves it. First two times to Epcot we didn’t even give Maelstrom a second thought. Frozen Ever After, however, brought us in. But for me, one of the things about Disney is the movies and the emotional aspect of them. Seeing those represented in the rides is a plus for us. But I guess my view/opinion is influenced by a sweet little girl who lights up at the princesses.

champdisney

Frozen is nice and all in the Norway Pavillion, I don't necessarily agree with the placement but the attraction itself isn't all that bad. Just wish Disney responded to the rapid success to The Lion King 26 years ago like they did with this franchise. As it is, The Lion King huge popularity remains to this day, I don't see this happening with Frozen 20 years from now.

Just my thoughts. Not intending to steer the conversation to go elsewhere.

ppete1975

Depends on what World showcase is.
1982-3 It was a way to travel to other countries when that wasnt easy, there was no internet, and outside of national geographic magazines most people had never seen these places. Locations were staffed with people from those countries. And it was a way to drive tourism.

2021- none of that is needed any more. Covid caused the removal of countries being staffed by people from those countries (i think thats still in effect, if i am wrong let me know and ill edit), we have the internet, and travel is easy.

World showcase has went from a way to boost tourism and goodwill (also an offshoot of walts original epcot)- to an all year festival for drinking and eating.

Due to this it really doesnt matter any more in my opinion, just like the original Future world, World Showcase in their original forms is not longer relevant. So its been transformed.

Unlike future world im curious what this will look like in 10 years.

Cadbury

I posted this in another Maelstrom vs. Frozen thread a few weeks back but for those of you who didn't get to see it, here's what might happen if Olaf met the trolls from Maelstrom....

47znjp.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom