Frozen Ever After opening day

MickeyHKP

WOW! That actually looks pretty great! I've never been on Maelstrom (I've only seen it in videos) but visually and technologically this is a HUGE step up! I just wish they included some elements of Norwegian culture in it. That would make it more relevant to the pavilion and feel less corporate. Plus I wish it had a solid story instead of a vague premise and better pacing (but we can't have everything). It's not the best Disney Dark ride to ever come out, in fact I'm not sure it's even the best out in the last 5 years (Mystic Manor and SDL's Pirates are in my opinion) but for what it is it's enjoyable.

publicblast

I heard it was 70 minutes I believe just after role drop today. An idea might be to start at the Epcot Resorts entrance. Even though less gates there are much less people going through there. Though you have to go into FW as you can't walk around WS. If you're willing to run then it could work, as it is about the same distance from Norway. You'll have to be at the gate probably 1/2 an hour to an hour before.
If you mean a literal jog, not sure if security will allow you to. Back in 2004 or so when Mission:Space was the hot ride, my wife and I were there at park opening and tried to bolt for that corner of FW. The CMs stopped us asked us not to run, and I said "OK, we're just going to power walk!" They laughed and let us be, but not sure how they'd react to guests in a full-on sprint.

Edit: I miss Horizons way more than I miss Maelstrom. :(

Magenta Panther

So, I too am impressed with the AAs and the general flow of the ride. I love that they didn't go for a lame "book report" and firm storyline, but rather did more of an "experience" where you visit Arendelle and are entertained by it. I like that it doesn't really detract from the pavilion being Norway.

That said, I would go along with the criticism that some of the scenes are quite sparse. Perhaps that's taking a strong cue from the film, but it makes things look under decorated. In particular the scene with Olaf ice skating followed by Anna & Kristoff -- there needs to be some more background "stuff" to fill it out.

Is Snowball supposed to move more? His limited motion is surprising.

That said, I loved Maelstrom and no matter how nice this is, I will probably be sad riding it for that reason. I wish they would have kept/updated that ride and built a Frozen ride elsewhere (personally, I would have been fine with them using the Summerhus space for a Frozen ride in addition to Maelstrom).

Edit: I will add that not everything needs to be a E-ticket and I think this ride fills a needed niche for Epcot. It's a better version of the smallish FL dark rides that Disney is know for.

That's the one thing in the ride that seems a bit odd...why is Marshmallow (Snowball?) hunched down like that?

BrerJon

The strangest thing I find from watching the videos is I expect the dialogue to be in Japanese, or French, or Chinese perhaps, and am a little surprised to hear English... New rides are so rare in WDW that my brain automatically assumes a new Disney ride YouTube is from a foreign park.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm honestly surprised by all the positive reception here, given how much flack the ride got when it was first announced.

I'm just gonna say right now that I'm not a huge fan of Frozen. I'm sorry, but aside from Olaf the film just doesn't do much for me. I'm also still confused as to why this attraction took so long to build.

As for the ride itself... Meh, it's okay. The best part, in my opinion, is the first scene with Olaf, Sven, and the Trolls. The animatronics and queue look pretty good, too. The "Let It Go" scene could've been done better (the projection effects look good, though).

So all in all, while it's really not my thing and I honestly don't see how it's the most spectacular thing ever as most are making it out to be, it's definitely the best of the Frozen attractions that we've gotten so far (which, yeah, really isn't saying much) and a lot better than something like Little Mermaid or Ratatouille.

The vast majority of the complaints about this early on were about the location. A lot of the people who I have seen give it positive reviews have done so with the caveat that it should have gone into Fantasyland not Epcot.

righttrack

The vast majority of the complaints about this early on were about the location. A lot of the people who I have seen give it positive reviews have done so with the caveat that it should have gone into Fantasyland not Epcot.

Yes. After looking at the YouTube I'm saying to myself wow, what a nice dark ride they have made. Compelling. I just would rather see in Fantasyland.

5thGenTexan

We just last week returned after spending thousands of dollars at DLR. I show one of the videos to my almost 8 year old girl today and she had the same silly grin on her face that she had when we went to see the mini ponies at a local summer library program the other day. She then explained how she wants to go to Florida. Do we have enough money to go to Florida she asks.

I guess we gotta figure out a way to go to Florida. :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Indeed. I'll say what I've said before. Great D ticket. Wrong place. The IP deserved more. Not as an excuse to try and prop the park up.

Cmdr_Crimson

Whenever you have those kinds of thoughts... just look at photos like these... and think of the alternatives
SFMM_GL_MediaDay315.jpg

Disney has long used the queue as the opening chapter of an attraction. Frequently used to introduce concepts (like how its done in Everest).. or set tones and transitions (like Nemo)... or simply entertain and impress while waiting.

The alternative blows.

Could be worse....Six Flags "USED" to do deep theming to there queues during the Time Warner Era when they wanted you to be immersed in the story line SFGAm's Batman The Ride had a good theme until they removed almost 80% of the theming aspect..Entering a beautified new park commisioned by Bruce Wayne. Only to find behind the wall that Havoc reigns in the Slums of Gotham. Only way to escape is to enter the storm drain and accidently enter the Batcave to Help Batman use his new vehicle to wipe out the scum of Gotham...Yes there was a plot to this Coaster.
PB020117.JPG

But, thank the Maker they didn't take it to stupid routes of just making a sign standee with facts of the Frozen Characters while waiting in line..Like they show here at SFGAm's Superman Ultimate Flight....No Story, no plot...Nothing...Plus you can't barely read these due to their angle and distance they are from the queue..
DSC00380.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom