Frozen Ever After opening day

Bolt

LOL!

But....if they see consistent wait times of like 10 minutes or less, you can be sure they'll decide to save some money by only have 2 or 4 princesses in there instead of 6 and closing one or two of the rooms.

Maybe instead, they can reconfigure the entrance/queue and use one of the rooms for Olaf.
True - when I was there on Wednesday the line was out past the entrance though. I assume it'll get busier once the general public realize that both they aren't at MK anymore and what Sommerhus is, as the outside doesn't really show it. Also - I can see a resurgence of interest after Frozen 2.

MrPromey

I guess having your guests stand, wait and melt in the summertime Orlando sun is all part of the new WDW magical experience.

You'd hope that as we all sit around armchair quarterbacking, that Disney actually knows what they're doing better than us but when you see an attraction like Little Mermaid where you can often spend as much time winding through the elaborate snake-like queue looking for the start of the line as you actually do waiting in the line, and then see what's happening in the Norway pavilion, it just boggles the mind.

So one attraction is based on older IP and given an omnimover system that provides one of the highest capacity ride options Disney has and they still build out a queue longer and more elaborate than anything fantasyland has up until that point, even with most of the other attractions having nowhere near the capacity.

The other is what is still an insanely popular IP and it's a re-skinning of what was only a moderately popular half-ride that had trouble with capacity, even with the general lack of enthusiasm from most of the public, towards it. Then they give it a rinky- (for some reason censored) queue that immediately gets overwhelmed and probably will for the next couple of years to help destroy the atmosphere in that part of the park further? What they have there looks like they were somehow unprepared for this. How on earth could that be the case?

I get why they probably went the way they did with the ride. Seems ridiculously short-sighted but whatever. I'm letting that... Nope, not going to say it - but not being prepared for lines like this? I'm not just saying they should have a longer queue, I think they should have had a Dumbo-style system ready to go for this on day one.

Maybe they'll start a pin adventure for the queue though. You pay your $15 up front and at the water station in line. Then, they can sell clue cards for things to find at gift stations further down the line where you can buy more clue cards until you get to the start of the permanent queue? :banghead:

Last edited:

tirian

I attributed it to not having FP+ but maybe it's a combo of that and having the meet-and-greet in a park that both sees lower attendance overall and isn't (yet, at least) thought of for most people, as a place to take young children for this kind of thing.

... Of course, high wait times in the MK may have also been the result of a dearth of frozen related attractions in that park to handle consumer demand for the IP. What's more interesting than a meet-and-greet? A ride, so the wait may be lower as a result of what people perceive as a better use of their waiting time next-door, too.

It's probably a combo of all of the above but it feels more satisfying to pin it strictly on FP+ so I'm going to stick with that, I think! ;)
As I posted a few days ago, Disney expected the M&G to absorb the bulk of the crowds heading into Norway. The plan was for the massive M&G to offset the attraction's low capacity. The long M&G lines in Fantasyland at the MK convinced "someone" the M&G lines would also develop at the Giant Bar Known as World Showcase. Someone was smoking crack.

The long ride crowds and 10-minute M&G waits demonstrate what happens when a high-profile attraction based on an insanely popular fantasy IP is shoved into a small space in a park that doesn't use fantasy IPs to attract guests.

chiefs11

As I posted a few days ago, Disney expected the M&G to absorb the bulk of the crowds heading into Norway. The plan was for the massive M&G to offset the attraction's low capacity. The long M&G lines in Fantasyland at the MK convinced "someone" the M&G lines would also develop at the Giant Bar Known as World Showcase. Someone was smoking crack.

The long ride crowds and 10-minute M&G waits demonstrate what happens when a high-profile attraction based on an insanely popular fantasy IP is shoved into a small space in a park that doesn't use fantasy IPs to attract guests.
And anyone with two brain cells to rub together saw this coming. But, their solution to this will be to add even more fantasy IPs in Epcot.

peter11435

Not in my experience...

The bulk of rides at WDW have covered queues.
Most rides have covered or indoor queue. But many rides have extended queues beyond that are outside and uncovered. FEA has an indoor air conditioned queue. Go to the parks on extremely busy days and you will see that BTM, HM, IASW, SDMT, TT, GMR and many others will utilize queues that are not covered.

DisneyDebRob

Most rides have covered or indoor queue. But many rides have extended queues beyond that are outside and uncovered. FEA has an indoor air conditioned queue. Go to the parks on extremely busy days and you will see that BTM, HM, IASW, SDMT, TT, GMR and many others will utilize queues that are not covered.
More quality rides will eliminate the lines that extend into the outdoor queue. Spread the mass of people around. It's the only answer.

peter11435

More quality rides will eliminate the lines that extend into the outdoor queue. Spread the mass of people around. It's the only answer.

So you think if there were more quality rides in the park the demand for frozen would be less?

It would not be. The people who want to ride FEA would still be in that line. People are waiting hours because they want to ride FEA not because it's the only thing to do. Virtually nobody is riding FEA more than once per day and most guests would still want to ride the attraction at least once even if there were more quality rides. The only think adding more quality rides to Epcot would do is increase park attendance and this increase demand at FEA.

DisneyDebRob

So you think if there were more quality rides in the park the demand for frozen would be less?

It would not be. The people who want to ride FEA would still be in that line. People are waiting hours because they want to ride FEA not because it's the only thing to do. Virtually nobody is riding FEA more than once per day and most guests would still want to ride the attraction at least once even if there were more quality rides. The only think adding more quality rides to Epcot would do is increase park attendance and this increase demand at FEA.
Yes I do. It happens not only in every major theme park, but other places also. If the line is 2 hours, and there's another ATTRACTIVE option that's not tired and 15 years old, people will spread out and go to that for a shorter wait, and come back when the line is more manageable. If it's between Frozen and rides that are 15-20 years old that they have been on many times before, they will wait, hence the long lines. Epcot is full of tired rides and attractions. Another reason why this was such a bad fit.

peter11435

Yes I do. It happens not only in every major theme park, but other places also. If the line is 2 hours, and there's another ATTRACTIVE option that's not tired and 15 years old, people will spread out and go to that for a shorter wait, and come back when the line is more manageable. If it's between Frozen and rides that are 15-20 years old that they have been on many times before, they will wait, hence the long lines. Epcot is full of tired rides and attractions. Another reason why this was such a bad fit.
But no matter how many good rides there are in the park, people will still want to see the newest attraction. And people who are fans of frozen will still want to ride. Frozens problem is not lack of other attractions in the park it's lack of capacity that doesn't meet the demand for the attraction. As time goes by demand will decrease. But cacacity will remain way to low. When people go to a theme park they expect to ride all of the major attractions. With FEA that is simply not possible due to its extremely low capacity.

The answer for alleviating lines at frozen is decreasing dowtimes to maximize the capacity they do have, increasing load efficiency; better grouping, possibly a single rider line, adjustments to allow fully loading boats, and long term possibly even redesigned boats that allow for a 5th row. Adding additional new attractions will only make the problem worse.

seabreezept813

And I'm sure Gran Fiesta Tour got its AAs so it wouldn't look too much like an even cheaper disappointment than FEA.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I love the Gran Fiesta Tour for what it is..a boat ride with no waits or expectations. Also a fun diversion after a few margharitas. Maybe I just like it because it's one of the only attractions in the World where you can literally be the only one riding it at a time. And I probably will be stoned for this feeling, but I enjoy the Caballeros and do think of them as loosely tied to education because of Walt's work in Latin America.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom