Frozen Ever After opening day

HonorableMention

So from the videos I've seen of today's ridethroughs, it seems like the second Sven is having some issues working. By the way, there's a video somewhere that shows the end scene's animatronics turning off. It just adds to the list of scary dead Olafs.

Edit: Found the video!

tirian

They are used for internal purposes, but, even the ones that they do are used by people that never were involved with it when it was legit and meant anything other then... let's make sure we make extra money on these. Today we might even call it the actual tier system. A way of ranking on popularity. It's like so many people visiting Epcot will say that "tomorrow were going to go to WDW" when we know that they are talking about MK. They aren't wrong, just not specific enough. There cannot be "E" Tickets rides when there are no tickets. I have never heard Disney publicly call anything new, anything other then "E" ticket when it is used at all. Which is seldom. It may still be a measure of something, but, it is based on different things depending on who you talk too. I'd even bet that there are millions out there that have never heard of it at all and has absolutely no meaning to them. It is not solidly definable anymore. Not to mention that it was a judgement call when it was in use.

It boils down to this... if you think that it is an "E" then it is an "E". It is totally subjective. If I like something a lot, even you, will not convince me that it is a "C" or a "D". Why? Because even you, a person that I trust with Disney history, still has your own personal taste and biases toward things that are Disney based on how you think they should be. If you didn't you wouldn't be the unofficial historian. What Disney used to be is a nice memory, but, I'm not sure it would even work in the world as it is now. It has absolutely no significance or meaning to the average guest that doesn't have a list of ratings based on those letters. It's like the "Flying Circus" Parrot sketch. It's a dead bird... It has passed... It is no more, in any official public sense.
Not to dogpile on you, but Marni's response is correct. WDI still designates the attractions according to the old ticket system, and even if the public doesn't understand it, the designation is still there and still means something to the people who design the attractions.

You're right. Everyone is entitled to an opinion—Muhammad Ali's favorite ride was supposedly Dumbo—but that doesn't mean that a ticket label is arbitrary or relative. Facts are objective; you don't get to create your own truth.

Edit: And the designation meant an attraction was highly desirable because of its theming and technology, not because Disney necessarily made more money off it.

Marlins1

There are several types of theme park tourists.
The Rides Fan
You know these people. Many of us belong here. Enjoyment of a theme park = enjoyment of rides. Most have a favorite type of ride that they either mostly or exclusively ride (thrill rides being the most common)
I'd say about 70% of theme park tourists fall in this category. More like 50% at WDW because of
The Magic Fan
Comes to WDW for the magic. Probably what that reviewer belongs in. Similar to the Rides Fan but usually prefers dark rides, spinners, and familiar stories. Is a sucker for songs from the movie.
The Party Animal
Favorite park: Epcot.
Favorite activities: Yelling on roller coasters, making obscene gestures at ride cameras, trying to find bars at Magic Kingdom, being at bars at Epcot, not being at Animal Kingdom, climbing pyramids.
The Lifestyler
I'm not discussing this type.
The Theme Fan
The rarest type. Believe in the integrity of theme parks as an art form. Talk about weenies, forced perspective, and berms. Marvel at the genius of Disney's international parks. Don't believe Frozen should be in an educational pavilion about the country of Norway. Often post on forums about theme parks about the different types of theme park tourists.

Go to Universal more than Disney even though Disney still does environments better.
Great description of the categories but I think most WDW fans fit into more than one of these categories. I actually see myself in all five which is why WDW remains my favorite theme park destination but I enjoy Busch and Uni parks as well.

Last edited:

gobstoper27

So from the videos I've seen of today's ridethroughs, it seems like the second Sven is having some issues working. By the way, there's a video somewhere that shows the end scene's animatronics turning off. It just adds to the list of scary dead Olafs.

Technical difficulties...so soon?!?

chiefs11

yes it was posted in the other frozen thread that it reopens on Monday, with a new Norwegian exhibit on Norwegian wood working artistry, something like that, but def good news.
I swear I saw people going in there today, but I didn't myself. Did it open early? The 'inspiration for Frozen' sign was still up at the entrance.

aladdin2007

I swear I saw people going in there today, but I didn't myself. Did it open early? The 'inspiration for Frozen' sign was still up at the entrance.

interesting, not sure but heres the post:

spiritofNorway said:
Great news!
The stavechurch seems to be getting a pretty Norwegian exhibition after a Norwegian news article I read today. There is a Norwegian woodcarver, that also originally carved wood for the pavilion stavechurch and bakerybuildings, that carved some woodworkreplicas for the exhibition. He also carved the cabinets thats in all the three meet&greetrooms. Im glad to see Disney doing a real good, authentic job here!

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Not to dogpile on you, but Marni's response is correct. WDI still designates the attractions according to the old ticket system, and even if the public doesn't understand it, the designation is still there and still means something to the people who design the attractions.

You're right. Everyone is entitled to an opinion—Muhammad Ali's favorite ride was supposedly Dumbo—but that doesn't mean that a ticket label is arbitrary or relative. Facts are objective; you don't get to create your own truth.

Edit: And the designation meant an attraction was highly desirable because of its theming and technology, not because Disney necessarily made more money off it.
I promised myself I wouldn't get involved with this topic anymore, but, you and no one else knows what they used for criteria when assigning a "rating" originally. I'm sure how much it cost them to build it figured in. How much detail was involved, etc. That said, it would have very quickly lost it's "E" status if no one was lining up to see it. I know that they banter about the use of Letter ratings within the company and even mention it from time to time, just like all of us tend to continue to use a phrase that has long since ceased to exist. Even after all these years, people still call MK... Disney World. That really doesn't change anything. Let's say that a 20 or even a 30 something hears that something is an "E" ticket ride. Do you really think that it means anything to them? If anything they might think that an "A" rating would be the best since that is the sequence of lettering we use for everything else.

Now lets go to the original purpose of the lettering system. When you bought your ticket to enter Disneyland (cause that's where it started) you either bought or were given initially (I'm not sure which) a book of tickets with a counted number of A through E tickets in it. There were fewer E's then anything else because those were the one that Disney projected that people wanted to see. Since it was a limited number and those are the attractions that you wanted, you went back and bought another book of tickets and maybe another and so on. That was based on what they thought you would pay extra to see. It might have been in line with quality, but, it wasn't always. Tell me what is the technical marvel with Small World. None! A bunch of semi- moving dolls, allegedly singing a catchy tune while you rode around in a boat. Big damn whoop! However, it was one that was a must see so it was an "E". It isn't anymore, yet it still has the same quality that gave it that rating before. Why isn't it still an "E"?

Like now, letter rating may have existed, but, there was never a hard manual stating how to rate them, it was based somewhat on what they thought would happen and changed whenever the public reacted a different way by either unexpectedly deciding that it was good, or in many cases the other way around as well.

So, if you don't think that wasn't about making more money, then I have a ocean front plot of land in Arizona that I would like to sell. The same thing applies today, however, there is no additional revenue feed by calling anything an "E" anymore, they just still do because they expect it to do well. If it doesn't they will never mention it again. But, continue to believe that it means anything other then expected popularity if you want, but, there is nothing about it that is important anymore.

Take the 7DMT for example. That was promoted as an "E". They promoted the hell out of that thing. It was going to be the best thing since sliced bread. I believe that they still consider it an "E", however, all our ride quality experts say it is a C or D at best. So, what are they basing it on that the original creators aren't using? All those words to say this, call it what you want, place any random letter you can think of on it, it is still going to be only as good as the majority of guests think it is. They are making that call, not the head office or a few people on a discussion board.

Much to the pleasure of many, I am done with this topic. The horse is dead.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm starting to think they should have had a "B" mode projection behind the animatronics for problems...not that Disney EVER has problems with their animatronics, but they could run the ride in that mode at least

Phil12

Not when Walt was still alive. The Tiki Room cost more than an E ticket because Walt personally owned the attraction. Therefore, your "facts" in this case are incorrect.

In the beginning (1955) there were no ride categories. It was only after several months of operation that ticket books were sold containing A, B and C tickets. The "D" ticket came about in 1956 for the express purpose of charging more money for the Jungle Cruise. And the "E" didn't arrive until 1959.

Also, ticket labels changed with time based upon their ability to make money (i.e. their popularity). Many "D" ticket rides were upgraded to "E" ticket rides because of their popularity.

And as I recall, some rides were demoted in ticket pricing because they didn't draw crowds. So in reality, the ticket designations were all about making the most money and charging what they could get away with. Walt was no different than Bob Iger in that regard.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Exactly. "Time to move on," "You're beating a dead horse," "Just accept it" and "Quit complaining and get used to it" are internet forum-code for Shut Up -- thinly-veiled attempts to censor the content of a conversation.

Or... people lacking the realization that while they keep trying to insert the topic.. others aren't buying in.. and then it just becomes droning on and detracting.

It's one thing when it's a discussion.. but when you just keep repeating what everyone knows and is intentionally not rehashing.. well then yes, it's annoying and someone should say MOVE ON. We don't need to discuss it when its accepted common understanding.

tirian

Not when Walt was still alive. The Tiki Room cost more than an E ticket because Walt personally owned the attraction. Therefore, your "facts" in this case are incorrect.

In the beginning (1955) there were no ride categories. It was only after several months of operation that ticket books were sold containing A, B and C tickets. The "D" ticket came about in 1956 for the express purpose of charging more money for the Jungle Cruise. And the "E" didn't arrive until 1959.

Also, ticket labels changed with time based upon their ability to make money (i.e. their popularity). Many "D" ticket rides were upgraded to "E" ticket rides because of their popularity.

And as I recall, some rides were demoted in ticket pricing because they didn't draw crowds. So in reality, the ticket designations were all about making the most money and charging what they could get away with. Walt was no different than Bob Iger in that regard.
I'm not talking about the history; I'm talking about the way they designate it now.

It doesn't matter, though. The topic is definitely dead.

Daveeeeed

Guys? I have to wonder how this turned into a ticket debate.
-It is now used differently than the original way
-It measures scale today
-Disney uses it slightly differently than the public
-It does not measure opinion
How does that turn into a debate???!!!
Please just go back to talking about Frozen Ever After or the future of Epcot or whatever.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Quite often during a ride stop or E stop AAs will slowly return to home and stop moving for safety.

EPICOT

I think the argument should not be about the ticket designation, but rather if FEA will be seen and advertised as a headliner attraction for EPCOT. The merits of whether this ride should be a headliner or not is what should be argued.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom