Frozen Ever After opening day

JoeCamel

I heard it was 70 minutes I believe just after role drop today. An idea might be to start at the Epcot Resorts entrance. Even though less gates there are much less people going through there. Though you have to go into FW as you can't walk around WS. If you're willing to run then it could work, as it is about the same distance from Norway. You'll have to be at the gate probably 1/2 an hour to an hour before.

Why? it is a C or D, relax. Pass it by and just "Let it go!"

The ride will be here for the next 20 years with little to no wait after the first few.

Daveeeeed

Why? it is a C or D, relax. Pass it by and just "Let it go!"

The ride will be here for the next 20 years with little to no wait after the first few.
I was responding to someone that wanted to go very soon, so the wait dare still going to be huge. In the long run though there's not going to be no waits, it'll just not be even close.

JoeCamel

I was responding to someone that wanted to go very soon, so the wait dare still going to be huge. In the long run though there's not going to be no waits, it'll just not be even close.

Yeah it will. The frozen fever is a flash in the pan and will die so this ride will just be another distraction on WS. It is not a game changer must ride so once the "new" fever dies it will be a walkon.

The entire ride was a two year late reaction to the impact of the movie, even if F2 hits this ride is less than what should have been built.

Mike S

From @SleepEatDisney :hilarious:
image.jpeg

AEfx

I like the AAs, but can't help thinking the ride lacks imagination.

Imagine if Pirates of the Caribbean was done in the style of Frozen Ever After?

Instead of action scenes of burning towns, battles, bride auctions and treasure hauls, you had a series of rooms featuring pirate animatronics doing little more than waving at you. Jack Sparrow waves at you, Barbosa waves at you, an amazing animatronic of Davy Jones waves at you, and then they invite you to a meet and greet.

Likewise, imagine a Frozen ride where instead of the AAs just standing around gawping at the guests in the boats, we witness the characters actually doing something - maybe the snow creatures running amok as Elsa's powers get a bit out of hand, maybe have the reindeer slipping around on a pool of ice, a scene of Olaf trying to dodge a fire... imagine a ride where each scene is a carefully constructed sketch of story, 'business' as Walt Disney used to call it.

But instead they just stand there, singing and waving.

That's a silly comparison, IMO.

How about the Haunted Mansion, if you want to go there? That's mostly just watching ghosts hanging out and/or "waving" at you. The choice of comparing it to Pirates is...odd to me. Or even the HM, for that matter.

In any case, the audience for this ride is not looking for "battle scenes". They are looking for exactly what they got - some really nice show scenes which get pretty up-close with their favorite characters who look like they just stepped out of the film and into reality. They also avoided the "book report of the film" trope that so many people express dislike for around here.

I don't know how anyone can look at this ride and not see it as far and above what was there. People can (and will) argue about placement until the end of time, and clearly capacity is going to be a huge issue - but the attraction itself is stellar considering the scope of the project.

Those AA's are simply amazing. This finally sold me on the "animated face" AA's. I mean, the movement is so life-like (look at Elsa's arms in the "Let It Go" scene!) that I would swear some of them look like live actors with masks on they are so convincing, fluid, and well-done. They are so good it's almost creepy. And the sheer number of them in the attraction is really such a hugely pleasant surprise.

This ride is a slam dunk visually for your standard animated film dark ride - I can't help but think anyone that can't admit that (even if it's not to their personal taste) is just holding on to sour grapes, because Disney hasn't done anything this good in Orlando in a very long time, particularly when you look outside of the MK.

Daveeeeed

Yeah it will. The frozen fever is a flash in the pan and will die so this ride will just be another distraction on WS. It is not a game changer must ride so once the "new" fever dies it will be a walkon.

The entire ride was a two year late reaction to the impact of the movie, even if F2 hits this ride is less than what should have been built.
It's kind of like Kong, nothing revolutionary, but still a ride you want to ride. Only reason it's having these mega waits even on opening day is because of capacity. It'll still be a great ride to have, and it will be interesting to see how popular this ride will be in the long run. Give it a week and you'll be able to ride it with very high waits just not 300 minute waits, and once summer is over it will be manageable, but still high. Not the best ride as it is not an E, but still a solid D

Last edited:

JoeCamel

It's kind of like Kong, nothing revolutionary, but still a ride you want to ride. Only reason it's having these mega waits even on opening day is because of capacity. It'll still be a great ride to have, and it will be interesting to see how popular this ride will be in the long run. Give it a week and you'll be able to ride it with very high waits just not 300 minute waits, and once summer is over it will be manageable, but still high.

I agree, by the end of the year this will be down to Malstrom waits. Certainly if TDO puts anything else in EPCOT. I hope the DVC lounge helps with capacity.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's kind of like Kong, nothing revolutionary, but still a ride you want to ride. Only reason it's having these mega waits even on opening day is because of capacity. It'll still be a great ride to have, and it will be interesting to see how popular this ride will be in the long run. Give it a week and you'll be able to ride it with very high waits just not 300 minute waits, and once summer is over it will be manageable, but still high. Not the best ride as it is not an E, but still a solid D

Can you say Peter Pan? Yeah... I thought you could. Expect something like that... It's going to average 40+ mins on solid days I'm sure.

Goofyernmost

Think of it this way: compare Pirates of the Caribbean in MK to DL, TDL, or DLP.
OK, I will, if you will consider this... Pirates created it's own story. It wasn't a movie before it was an attraction. Which ever way the story went had to be correct because they were making it up as they went along. No matter what they create for that attraction it is the story and it's sequence is correct because it is made up as they go.

Attractions like Mermaid or Frozen were preceded by a movie with a set story and a lengthy character building sequence in the movie. We didn't need to be shown the story in detail because we already knew it. However, they didn't really follow it that rule closely on Mermaid and tried to tell the same story in a dark ride. They were soundly criticized for leaving out parts that many people liked. Mostly all had a different like that they were upset about that was missed.

Except for a few recognizable songs and possible scenes Frozen did not follow the movie in story, it was somewhat different. To me that is the only way that they can safely do it. They still will be getting flack for leaving out or cutting short some of the songs, but, the songs and the story told in the attraction isn't the same as the movie. It is just snippets in time not a complete story.

Even with the inclusion of Capt. Jack in Pirates, it isn't the same story that they movie depicts and that works fine. In fact, it works better because it is a new story wherever it happens to be.

EPCOTCenterLover

For what it is, a show-horned attraction that is out of place in the park chosen, it's nice. Not worthy of the property and certainly not the wait. The AA's do impress- even if the cost cutting is obvious in some areas. I'd give it a C+ / D-. Could and should have been so much more...

JoeCamel

1,500 compared to 1,000. Not terrible, but not good for a D ticket

1500 is not happening. That is max with all the boats running and this has larger problems than theoretical capacity, with it going 101 this many times on the first and second days so many times means you get 300 at best.

Should have had 2 months of softs to see if it should even open.

Goofyernmost

you are correct that it wasn't uncommon to see 45 min+ waits at Maelstrom during busy seasons.
In all my visits it would be extremely uncommon to see a 45 minute wait for Maelstrom. In fact, I never remember waiting for it other then the first time I rode when it was fairly new. After that, I weaved through those switchbacks non-stop and just got on the ride with no wait at all.

gmajew

Premium Member
Here are my thoughts on the ride after riding it.

The que is very well done. Really they did a great job and the place looks great.

The ride itself exceeded all my expectations. It is a must do ride for me and my family from now on. The animatronics were amazing. Simply awesome!! Everything worked when we ride ever effect was on and they each and everyone of them were awesome

I agree with some that few spots had some dead space something more could have been done but I don't think I would have added anything. As the lift hill added anticipation to getting to the top to see Elsa.

Overall ride was as good a dark ride I have been on and would be a top tier in MK.

My final point is I agree with everyone else and my two boys and wife Said same thing this belongs in a different park.

Even with that being said it was great to see this kind of quality done again and is a great addition to the attraction lineup.

Epcot now needs to decide its direction. If they are going to pump some money in and make this park something great again they need to do it now as this ride will draw an entire new age group to park and what they have here now needs some major work.

Energy Imaginaion and two more rides in countries are needed bad.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For what it is, a show-horned attraction that is out of place in the park chosen, it's nice. Not worthy of the property and certainly not the wait. The AA's do impress- even if the cost cutting is obvious in some areas. I'd give it a C+ / D-. Could and should have been so much more...
Is that in school grades where A is good and F is failed or in tickets meaning a high C/ low D ticket?

If you meant tickets I think you are about right. I would lean closer to D. Same ballpark as the Fantasyland dark rides.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In all my visits it would be extremely uncommon to see a 45 minute wait for Maelstrom. In fact, I never remember waiting for it other then the first time I rode when it was fairly new. After that, I weaved through those switchbacks non-stop and just got on the ride with no wait at all.
It got more crowded at night as people finished dinner or waited for Illuminations. I do remember seeing it posted at 40 mins but I never got in the line so it could have been a lot faster than posted as most rides usually are.

Mike S

OK, I will, if you will consider this... Pirates created it's own story. It wasn't a movie before it was an attraction. Which ever way the story went had to be correct because they were making it up as they went along. No matter what they create for that attraction it is the story and it's sequence is correct because it is made up as they go.

Attractions like Mermaid or Frozen were preceded by a movie with a set story and a lengthy character building sequence in the movie. We didn't need to be shown the story in detail because we already knew it. However, they didn't really follow it that rule closely on Mermaid and tried to tell the same story in a dark ride. They were soundly criticized for leaving out parts that many people liked. Mostly all had a different like that they were upset about that was missed.

Except for a few recognizable songs and possible scenes Frozen did not follow the movie in story, it was somewhat different. To me that is the only way that they can safely do it. They still will be getting flack for leaving out or cutting short some of the songs, but, the songs and the story told in the attraction isn't the same as the movie. It is just snippets in time not a complete story.

Even with the inclusion of Capt. Jack in Pirates, it isn't the same story that they movie depicts and that works fine. In fact, it works better because it is a new story wherever it happens to be.
Not what I was talking about at all but whatever. I meant how there will be better Frozen rides made elsewhere as rumored. Just like all the other Pirates compared to ours here in Florida. The exact details remain unknown except that Tokyo is getting a whole land but I'm expecting big things if this is how our ride turned out.
Is that in school grades where A is good and F is failed or in tickets meaning a high C/ low D ticket?

If you meant tickets I think you are about right. I would lean closer to D. Same ballpark as the Fantasyland dark rides.
Dark rides like Pan and Pooh would be C. This is definitely D.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom