Frozen complainers are finally making headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S

Yes it was changed to literature when they added the Wizarding World of Harry Potter ;). The idea of the park is that itsa series of "islands" (hence the name) that had different themes with nothing cohesive (generic "adventure"). I haven't read the book so I don't know if the village of Hogsmeade is an island but I don't think it is. And the beauty of it is that it doesn't matter anyway because that was going in there no matter what because it makes big bucks.
Marvel Comics, newspaper comic strips, Jurassic Park was a book before it was a movie, The Lost Continent being based on stories of old legends and myths, and finally children's books written by Dr. Seuss. Yup, nothing really tied them together.

Lee

Adventurer
Yes it was changed to literature when they added the Wizarding World of Harry Potter ;). The idea of the park is that its a series of "islands" (hence the name) that had different themes with nothing cohesive (generic "adventure"). I haven't read the book so I don't know if the village of Hogsmeade is an island but I don't think it is. And the beauty of it is that it doesn't matter anyway because that was going in there no matter what because it makes big bucks.
Untrue.
IoA was about printed stories and myths from the beginning.
Kong will be the first departure from that.

Actually, Kong is a direct descendant of the early twentieth "lost world" novels by writers like Arthur Conan Doyle and Edgar Rice Burroughs. So if they call that area something other than Kongland, they could still be maintaining the original concept.

Last edited:

Lee

Adventurer
And I am anticipating someone pointing out "that's why they should build it at MK or DHS, because Maelstrom can't handle those crowds." MK doesn't need an attendance boost at the moment, DHS is getting Star Wars (and probably more), obviously it has no place at DAK (which is getting Avatar and Rivers of Light anyway)....that leaves 1 park that needs to absorb more of the crowds.
I just can't.....:banghead:

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
I think a lot on here would go with option 3: keep World Showcase as World Showcase. Just saying...
In which case, can we move Food & Wine, please?
Having just returned from WDW, I can tell you that WS is un-navigable (even in early afternoon), due to too many people, too many booths, too many new water-side restaurants, and did I mention, TOO MANY PEOPLE?

This was Hubby's first trip since 2009, and he was not impressed with all the changes. The last F & W he thoroughly enjoyed, but now vows to never return to Epcot during the Festival.
He also could not get over Off Kilter's replacement ... but that's for another thread.

Now with the food & alcohol additions to the Flower & Garden Festival, it's starting to feel like WS is just becoming one year-long food and booze fest. It seems to be less and less about showcasing each nation's culture, and more and more about selling mediocre food and over-priced libations.
I rue this more than the loss of Maelstrom.

If not for the American Adventure and the Mexico Pavilion, I would be just as happy to skip WS altogether; which makes me sad, as it USED to be awesome.

xstech25

In the morning there is probably going to be a gathering of Disney high ups around an office computer laughing their a** off at you guys.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Untrue.
Kong will be the first departure from that.
I believe it originally (way way pre-concept phase) was going to be about cartoons (specifically comics, not the animated ones)...but I could be wrong. I think it was Jurassic Park's success in the box office that led them to expand the concept a bit more.

Jurassic Park, which made a ton of money in the theaters and was wildly popular...got it's own mini-land, in a new park.

Not a reskin of Twister. :p (just kidding, I know Twister wasn't around then)...

Sound familiar?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And I am anticipating someone pointing out "that's why they should build it at MK or DHS, because Maelstrom can't handle those crowds." MK doesn't need an attendance boost at the moment, DHS is getting Star Wars (and probably more), obviously it has no place at DAK (which is getting Avatar and Rivers of Light anyway)....that leaves 1 park that needs to absorb more of the crowds.
I already pointed that out several pages back. It's true. Frozen deserves better than this. The ride is short and has a low capacity. Long lines don't make people happy. If they built a legit, high capacity e-ticket in MK more people could enjoy it every day, it would be a much better and longer ride and Norway could remain as is and it would have the added bonus of being thematically appropriate.

EPCOT seems to do OK with attendance without Frozen. It's not the same situation as DHS or what DCA was before the overhaul.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I already pointed that out several pages back. It's true. Frozen deserves better than this. The ride is short and has a low capacity. Long lines don't make people happy. If they built a legit, high capacity e-ticket in MK more people could enjoy it every day, it would be a much better and longer ride and Norway could remain as is and it would have the added bonus of being thematically appropriate.

EPCOT seems to do OK with attendance without Frozen. It's not the same situation as DHS or what DCA was before the overhaul.
What EPCOT is missing is more rides and attractions...things to eat up people and keep the lines shorter. However, as I noted, this isn't adding anything in that respect.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
As far as Kong breaking the "theme", it does. But, considering there was a novelization of it, and that it was strongly influenced by the lost world genre of books, like Conan Doyle, etc...it still could work.

Frozen...has pretty much nothing to do with Norway, outside of some design influences and the smurf...er...trolls.

xstech25

Man we're really lucky to have the inside scoop from you, i'm sure nobody important like Staggs or Iger wants anything to do with the strategic plan of their largest and most famous/successful vacation destination.

Bairstow

Untrue.

I know this has been hashed out here repeatedly, but is there an official confirmation of this?
This still strikes me as fan-canon.
Was the "literature" overtheme ever pop up in any official printed materials or adverts, or during the dedication ceremony?

I always thought Islands of Adventure's overarching theme was self-evident from the title.

xstech25

Other than the fact that he is directly involved with anything to do with Frozen's growth plan since it's the company's synergistic bread & butter at the moment.

Lee

Adventurer
I know this has been hashed out here repeatedly, but is there an official confirmation of this?
Was the "literature" overtheme ever pop up in any official printed materials or adverts, or during the dedication ceremony?

I always thought Islands of Adventure's overarching theme was self-evident from the title.

It's been years, but I've heard it said by Spielberg and others back around the time the park opened. It wasn't ever promoted that way, but that was the underlying premise.

englanddg

One Little Spark...

What about this? Measly, I know, but it is from Universal Orlando Marketing directly.

https://www.universalorlandoyouth.com/Education/Education-Programs/Guided-Tours.html

Learn how science is involved in creating the world's most technologically advanced theme park. Find out about real life applications of physics, technology, and general sciences that were used to design and build this state-of-the-art theme park. In this program, students will:

• Marvel at the technology used to make The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man® so amazing.
  • Take a look "under the hood" at how The Incredible Hulk Coaster®launches.
  • Learn the role literature plays within Universal's Islands of Adventure®.
Advance reservations are required. Tours are subject to availability and may change without notice. There is a 20-student minimum for each of these tours.

xstech25

I've made my point clear and you have made yours clear, at this point arguing in circles is not going to accomplish anything. If anyone is interested in our discussion they can go back and read the last 4 or so pages but it's a waste of time trying to discuss the matter any further. You're right, Disney management is evil and stupid and doesn't know what they're doing, that must be why the company is worth twice as much now as since Iger took over and the stock is up 300% since 2009. I've got to work in the morning so i'm going to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom