Frozen complainers are finally making headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairstow

What about this? Measly, I know, but it is from Universal Orlando Marketing directly.

https://www.universalorlandoyouth.com/Education/Education-Programs/Guided-Tours.html

Learn how science is involved in creating the world's most technologically advanced theme park. Find out about real life applications of physics, technology, and general sciences that were used to design and build this state-of-the-art theme park. In this program, students will:

• Marvel at the technology used to make The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man® so amazing.
  • Take a look "under the hood" at how The Incredible Hulk Coaster®launches.
  • Learn the role literature plays within Universal's Islands of Adventure®.
Advance reservations are required. Tours are subject to availability and may change without notice. There is a 20-student minimum for each of these tours.

That's so tortured though.
Are we really to the point that we're calling things like Chrichton's airport novels and Gasoline Alley "literature"?

Bairstow

We reached that point 20+ years ago.

...and don't get me started on "Poseidon's Fury" and its irrelevance to Greek mythology...

Anyway, thread is starting to drift.

Assuming this is happening in a linear fashion, I guess China is due for an animated character-related overlay next.
Mulan doesn't move any merch, so maybe that Toy Story Playland we keep hearing about is going there.
Would that make sense? The better question is, does anyone who has money to spend care?

Siren

Original Poster
Sorry about the link, I should have tested it first. I posted the entire article, for those those who couldn't read it.

'His daughter Riley, 7, is an old hand at Disney World, having been 10 times. She said she enjoyed meeting the princesses. But not all the news was good to her, her dad said.

"She's happy there's a 'Frozen ride,' but she's not happy they're getting rid of the Norway ride," Pollack said. "She wanted to boycott Walt Disney World."'

Bless that little princess! :cat:
LOL.

"I think it all boils down to there's more places for people to complain, and there's more places for us to pay attention to them complaining," Thompson said.

I think that line from the article says it all, but its funny one of the people complaining in the article has no children. That being said, in the parks you see more little girls dressed as Elsa than all other Disney princesses combined. Frozen has hit a nerve with the public beyond oversaturation, and while I personally dont find the film to be anything more than average and a little tired of cast members making jokes ending with the punchline "let it go" , the public wants more Frozen.
Very well said & I totally agree with you!

People complain when Disney buys another "franchise" instead of using their own - then they complain when Disney creates one and uses it.
QFT.

Good.

Meet n greets? A must.

Parade integration? Needed.

Fireworks? A crowd puller to a park that needed it.

The ride? Don't go there.

Evicting Cinderella? Wrong.
Evicting Cinderella? LOL. In the show, Elsa is careful to note that they're just visiting and she has no desire to light the castle. It's the people in the crowd, who manage to convince Elsa to finally light the castle. And, you're right - I'm not going there about the ride.

There are many, many dumb things Disney could do to their parks that would make them a buttload of money. Build a DVC over the site of Cinderella Castle. Sell off all of the WDW land not currently developed. Close down several rides in every park while continuing to charge full ticket price (arguably in DHS they've already done this).

There are a LOT of adult guests that care about the more sophisticated and cultural theme of World Showcase, and enjoy being able to go somewhere on property that doesn't feel like an over-toonified Fantasyland. At some point, by intruding on treasured parts of WDW in search of a quick buck, Disney's going to shoot themselves in the foot with their core audience.

Just because it makes them money doesn't mean that it's smart, or that we have to like it.
Who is Disney's core audience? Epcot has been dubbed as "Drunkytown" -- so, maybe Disney is attempting to break away from that stigma.

Siren

Original Poster
Can't read the article but Disney has gone crazy with Frozen. What's next? Frozen sleepover on main street?
I posted the article, sorry about that & LOL, that was funny.

Not embarrassing at all. Look at the source, the Orlando Sentinel, <sarcasm>a paragon of objective and accurate reporting when it comes to Disney </sarcasm>. They've been Disney baiters for years.
LOL. Frozen complaining is just plain obnoxious. I can't open a single thread on this forum without someone whining about Frozen and how their life is ruined, when I just want to see the all the Christmas decorations. It makes no sense to me and it's reached the point of FP+ complaining now.

I hope this forum makes section just for Frozen complainers just like they did for the FP+ complainers and I hope they put it way, way, way at the bottom under Chit Chat. Words cannot describe just how much I *love* the FP+ only forum -- it's absolutely genius because I don't open it at all & blissfully ignore it. LOL.

This speaks a lot about our intellect in today's society. It's also a telling sign as to what it takes to keep our children interested and entertained. Cultural history? Boring! We need to slap a princess name on this to reel the guests in. Sad. There could be plenty of articles written on this subject alone.
Walt's philosophy on the parks was very clear, he sought to entertain with the hope that people learned something rather than educate and hope they were entertained.

Disney is an amusement park --it's not a library, zoo or a museum with rides. It's meant to be a vacation destination, this whole 'educational' value thing at *Disney* is taken way out of context sometimes, except for the specific classes and tours. All life experiences hold some level of educational value. I go to Disney to have fun and whatever I learn is a bonus.

Unfortunately, this change as well as the addition of Avatar Land to AK and some other changes around WDW appear to be driven by short-term thinking not long-term durability. If you look at all of the original rides and exhibits with the possible exception of some of the future world and technology things that became dated everything is still current and not dated.

In 10 or 15 years is frozen going to be a classic or something that has been long forgotten? Same goes for Avatar. The entire way of thinking within Disney has changed drastically in ways that I don't think Walt would have appreciated
OMG.... I can't wait for AvatarLand, the plans look amazing.

aladdin2007

I assure you, there won't be.
The Frozen/Maelstrom thing is not at all unanimously loved within Disney. Mostly it's just some accountants and Imagineers looking to extend their employment a couple more years.

Norwegians whom were involved in talks over the summer aren't too happy either, though without their government support their hands were tied as hard as they tried to get a new deal. Certain aspects regarding keeping Norwegian culture intact were promised by Disney, question is will Disney keep their word, they seem to think Disney will, I on the other hand not so much but will see. :rolleyes:

Siren

Original Poster
Errrrr.... People in the crowd?

You do know it's scripted, right?
Right, just like you know that Cindy is not 'evicted'. Seriously, the Frozen lighting ceremony is very nice and it fits so well. Cinderella has a new movie coming out in March of 2015 featuring Lily James as Cinderella. Lily James plays 'Rose' on Downton Abbey and she is my favorite character.

Anyway, after the holidays Frozen will be booted from the castle ASAP and you can expect Disney to promote the new Cinderella movie like crazy. I'm sure there will be events and special meet & great for Cinderella, etc. I hope that makes you happy.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
"Over the summer, they were pushing it so hard in the parks, and people were taking to it like a bunch of flies to rotten fruit. It didn't really speak to me a lot," said Crane, who is 35 and has no children.

By way of full disclosure, if you guys ever see a man named "George ......." interviewed about Disney World I would make sure my statement is waaaay more over the top than this.

Errrrr.... People in the crowd?

You do know it's scripted, right?

I've been yelling for someone besides Cindy to do the castle lighting my whole life. Since 96 I have been advocating for Claude Frollo since I want to see those foam blocks slowly melt as we are awash in pungent burning tire aromas and a blast of heat accentuated by the humid Florida air. Plus, I know some gypsies are hiding out in there.

lazyboy97o

Im confused, who wants to be a millionaire is still on and hosted by terry crews
But it is no longer on ABC during prime time.

Yes it was changed to literature when they added the Wizarding World of Harry Potter ;). The idea of the park is that its a series of "islands" (hence the name) that had different themes with nothing cohesive (generic "adventure"). I haven't read the book so I don't know if the village of Hogsmeade is an island but I don't think it is. And the beauty of it is that it doesn't matter anyway because that was going in there no matter what because it makes big bucks.
You clearly don't know what you are talking about and are just making things up to try and rile people.

Goofyernmost

I don't ever favor banning things (this case included), but I really don't like the phrases "doom and gloomer" and "pixie duster". None of us should be shoe horned into an opinion box.
And don't forget one of the favorites... Apologist! That one doesn't even make sense, but, defend anything about Disney and that is what one is labeled as. If I like or understand something I am surely not apologizing for it. Most of the time that is what the response is when someone is trying to interject reality and common sense into a discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom