Frozen complainers are finally making headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siren

Original Poster
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...os-disney-frozen-backlash-20141114-story.html

By Dewayne Bevil,Orlando Sentinel

One year after the world premiere of "Frozen," the film's fans can delight in its expanding presence at Walt Disney World. But some theme-park devotees are turning a cold shoulder to the blockbuster and the attention it's receiving.

Kyle Crane, a Disney annual passholder, said he finds this emphasis — through attractions and merchandising — to be suffocating.

"Over the summer, they were pushing it so hard in the parks, and people were taking to it like a bunch of flies to rotten fruit. It didn't really speak to me a lot," said Crane, who is 35 and has no children.

Crane lives in Baton Rouge, La., and makes a handful of trips to Disney annually, including one for his wedding last year. But he's decided to allow his pass to lapse this year in hopes of the phenomenon fading with time.

"I don't fault them at all for trying to strike while the iron is hot right now," Crane said. "But if it's an iron you don't want to be around … maybe this is the year I draw back."

The characters in the film, which debuted Nov. 19, 2013, had a small start at Disney World late last year. Anna and Elsa, the royal sisters of "Frozen," met with Epcot guests in the Norway pavilion. Those sessions soon drew hordes of little princesses and their parents, creating wait times of up to seven hours.

That twosome has since moved to a larger hall at Magic Kingdom, where they were also added to the new "Festival of Fantasy" parade. Next, "Frozen" was given a summerlong celebration — complete with processional, mass sing-along, specialty store and indoor ice rink — at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

In September, Disney officials announced that the Maelstrom ride at Epcot would be converted into a "Frozen" attraction set to open in early 2016.

Elsa, Anna, Kristoff and Olaf, the wacky snowman, have taken over the ceremony that lights Cinderella Castle nights during the holidays. A gingerbread display in Disney's Contemporary Resort features the characters alongside a slew of "Frozen"-inspired treats.

"Frozen" folk are also front and center for the "Once Upon a Christmastime Parade" at Magic Kingdom, and the separate, nationally televised parade that airs Dec. 25 has been rechristened "Disney Parks Frozen Christmas Celebration."

That renaming is especially vexing, said Ashleigh Mertle of Longwood.

"I watched the movie. It's a cute movie and everything, but it's going overboard. It's too much," she said.

Disney has lots of other characters to use, Mertle said.

"I feel like they could be doing other stuff. When 'Brave' came out, that's very popular. Why didn't they do stuff with Merida?" she said. "There's how many other princesses? Eight? I don't understand the hype of it."

An international craze and its backlash are not new, said Robert Thompson, who teaches pop-culture courses at Syracuse University in New York. But social media make it feel more intense today, he said.

"I think it all boils down to there's more places for people to complain, and there's more places for us to pay attention to them complaining," Thompson said.

Disney has been coping with extreme popularity since at least the 1950s, when every kid wanted a Davy Crockett -skin cap, he said.

"Whenever you get these kind of culturally penetrating moments, sooner or later, the penetration becomes so overwhelming that people get sick of it," Thompson said. "In the end, I don't think any of that matters because it's going to be completely trumped by the fact that so many more people are still completely in love with it."

The film made $1.3 billion worldwide at the box office. It has earned $275 million in DVD and Blu-ray sales.

And there's more money to be made.

A Hollywood Studios store called Wandering Oaken's Trading Post is devoted to "Frozen" merchandise. Visitors can purchase items ranging from snow globes ($8.95) to Olaf beach towels (two for $34.95) to Elsa gowns ($69.95).

Jamie Short of State College, Pa., bought her 5-year-old daughter Stella a gown and a doll plus an Elsa-inspired makeover at the Bibbidi-Bobbidi Boutique at Downtown Disney.

"We took the full package, so it was $200. It was a splurge," Short said. "She loved it."

The Shorts attended the sing-along and plotted to get an early spot in line to meet Elsa and Anna at Magic Kingdom.

Bill Pollack of Boston had already checked that off his list. He waited six hours last year, he said.

"They don't have enough, I don't think, considering how popular it is," he said.

His daughter Riley, 7, is an old hand at Disney World, having been 10 times. She said she enjoyed meeting the princesses. But not all the news was good to her, her dad said.

"She's happy there's a 'Frozen ride,' but she's not happy they're getting rid of the Norway ride," Pollack said. "She wanted to boycott Walt Disney World."

How embarrassing is this -- they complain so much and make such a huge spectacle to where the news is focused on them instead of Frozen now. LOL.

Last edited:

Siren

Original Poster
I especially love the little kid at the end who said that she doesn't want the "Norway ride" to go and that she would boycott Walt Disney World. :D
LOL. Yeah sure, that's what the Dad says! They're from Boston and the daughter, who is only seven, already has 10 WDW trips under her belt -- so I think they will be among the very first to see the new Frozen ride.

The Empress Lilly

They're from Boston and the daughter, who is only seven, already has 10 WDW trips under her belt -- so I think they will be among the very first to see the new Frozen ride.
'His daughter Riley, 7, is an old hand at Disney World, having been 10 times. She said she enjoyed meeting the princesses. But not all the news was good to her, her dad said.

"She's happy there's a 'Frozen ride,' but she's not happy they're getting rid of the Norway ride," Pollack said. "She wanted to boycott Walt Disney World."'

Bless that little princess! :cat:

bugsbunny

Why does everything have to be tied to it? Yeah, money. But how many rides and attractions can have Frozen in it?
How was your trip? Great! I had 18 interactions with Frozen including 8 hours of standing in lines to get a picture.

That sounds like a great vacation. How about something for the rest us?

Ranch Dressing

"I think it all boils down to there's more places for people to complain, and there's more places for us to pay attention to them complaining," Thompson said.

I think that line from the article says it all, but its funny one of the people complaining in the article has no children. That being said, in the parks you see more little girls dressed as Elsa than all other Disney princesses combined. Frozen has hit a nerve with the public beyond oversaturation, and while I personally dont find the film to be anything more than average and a little tired of cast members making jokes ending with the punchline "let it go" , the public wants more Frozen.

AMartin767

People complain when Disney buys another "franchise" instead of using there own - then they complain when Disney creates one and uses it.

No. The problem isn't that Disney has created their own characters and are using them in an attraction, in fact, I love Frozen and think that an attraction based on the film is a fantastic idea. The problem lies in HOW they are using the new franchise. Removing a ride that is about THE VERY COUNTRY IN WHICH IT RESIDES is stupid! The Frozen ride belongs in the Magic Kingdom, you know, the place where ALL THE OTHER PRINCESSES ARE! Disney is just being dumb right now with the parks and destroying the integrity of World Showcase in the process. Bad Disney... Bad!

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
"Disney has been coping with extreme popularity since at least the 1950s, when every kid wanted a Davy Crockett -skin cap"

Ahh.. I remember when I was 7 and I made my parents buy me one of these at Animal Kingdom! :) I used it for a Davy Crockett project presentation in 2nd grade! :3

Disney is just being dumb right now with the parks and destroying the integrity of World Showcase in the process.

They aren't being dumb if they're going to make a butt load of money off of it...
66050911603831dbe57039ee18d487f8bb03aaf81e2b2c317c14aefc136a4574.jpg

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
So far I have little problem with most of the Frozen changes (though wish death by monkeys upon those that made the World Showcase decision).
They are mostly things that can be short term. Castle show, M&G, a Christmas commercial parade.
If it ends up a fad, they can be changed again.
Maelstrom, not so much.

Ben_since_1971

So far I have little problem with most of the Frozen changes (though wish death by monkeys upon those that made the World Showcase decision).
They are mostly things that can be short term. Castle show, M&G, a Christmas commercial parade.
If it ends up a fad, they can be changed again.
Maelstrom, not so much.

Agreed - for the most part they are riding the cash cow for as long as they can. Maelstrom? It's a bet by Disney that Frozen will have legs to sustain making the change to the ride. They must think so otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Magenta Panther

No. The problem isn't that Disney has created their own characters and are using them in an attraction, in fact, I love Frozen and think that an attraction based on the film is a fantastic idea. The problem lies in HOW they are using the new franchise. Removing a ride that is about THE VERY COUNTRY IN WHICH IT RESIDES is stupid! The Frozen ride belongs in the Magic Kingdom, you know, the place where ALL THE OTHER PRINCES ARE! Disney is just being dumb right now with the parks and destroying the integrity of World Showcase in the process. Bad Disney... Bad!

So much of what Disney is doing with Frozen seems like a cheap, quick cash-grab - like the Frozen overlay on Maelstrom. I'm glad the complainers are getting a little press, at least on Maelstrom's account.

I too, even though I didn't like the film. would love to see a really good attraction/ride based on Frozen in the Magic Kingdom, or perhaps in DHS. The idea of an ice palace and a snow-covered village in WDW is very enticing, and though I'm not a Frozen fan, you wouldn't be able to keep me away from it. But TDO has chosen to take the lazy route, and TDO, if you're reading this...EVERYBODY KNOWS IT. It's just that some don't care because Frozen! :p

Mike S

So much of what Disney is doing with Frozen seems like a cheap, quick cash-grab - like the Frozen overlay on Maelstrom. I'm glad the complainers are getting a little press, at least on Maelstrom's account.

I too, even though I didn't like the film. would love to see a really good attraction/ride based on Frozen in the Magic Kingdom, or perhaps in DHS. The idea of an ice palace and a snow-covered village in WDW is very enticing, and though I'm not a Frozen fan, you wouldn't be able to keep me away from it. But TDO has chosen to take the lazy route, and TDO, if you're reading this...EVERYBODY KNOWS IT. It's just that some don't care because Frozen! :p
Oh, we will see a really good Frozen attraction. In Tokyo DisneySea. Thank god for the OLC.

HouCuseChickie

We got back on Wednesday and I was mixed on the whole Frozen madness.

Honestly, my 2 biggest issues...

1. Castle Dreamlights - no, the issue wasn't with the show to illuminate the castle...it was about the underlying lighting color schemes for the Dreamlights. I always loved all of the color schemes, but this time there were only a few since I guess it was all done to fit in with the Frozen theming. The castle primarily shifted between turquoise and that icy white color. It's still very pretty, but there were just so many neat/beautiful color transitions and combos that weren't being utilized this year because of Frozen theming.

2. Princess Costumes/Attire - We have 2 little girls and have spent our last few trips to WDW in princess/girly character mode. They've been everything from Cinderella, Ariel, Belle, Tinkerbell, Sleeping Beauty, Alice, Rapunzel, Merida and Snow White. And on all of our trips with them, we've seen little girls in a decent variety of princess gear. This trip, the girls stayed home, but I couldn't help but notice there were 20-30 Elsa's for any other princess costume/attire I spotted. I don't know...it was just kind of sad to see a sea of Elsa's when you used to see a high level of princess/female character diversity.

This even extends outside of the parks. A friend of mine went to Disney on Ice the other night and the bulk of the audience left as soon as the Frozen portion was over.

Ultimately, I liked Frozen...liked the characters...liked the story...liked what I saw of the new show to light the Dreamlights...loved the Contemporary's gingerbread sculpture...and will reserve judgment for the Maelstrom overlay until I actually see it. Still, I can't help but be saddened to not see all of the colors under the Dreamlights and to see so many little girls be in "Elsa or nothing" mode when it comes to the princesses and female characters.

MarkTwain

They aren't being dumb if they're going to make a butt load of money off of it...

There are many, many dumb things Disney could do to their parks that would make them a buttload of money. Build a DVC over the site of Cinderella Castle. Sell off all of the WDW land not currently developed. Close down several rides in every park while continuing to charge full ticket price (arguably in DHS they've already done this).

There are a LOT of adult guests that care about the more sophisticated and cultural theme of World Showcase, and enjoy being able to go somewhere on property that doesn't feel like an over-toonified Fantasyland. At some point, by intruding on treasured parts of WDW in search of a quick buck, Disney's going to shoot themselves in the foot with their core audience.

Just because it makes them money doesn't mean that it's smart, or that we have to like it.

Seabasealpha1

I'm glad someone who's not on the bandwagon has finally gotten some notice.

I've already ranted...and some other members...to use a southern phrase..."bless their little hearts"...don't agree with the protests...

I'm sure they'll carry on with the overlay...

Any idea as to when that's to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom