Frozen complainers are finally making headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkTwain

Here's what I don't understand: we've had press publicizing the Frozen overlay of Maelstrom (usually neutrally or positively, or at least as part of a larger article explaining the popularity of Frozen), and now we have press reporting the guest criticism of the Frozen overlay - again, with a mostly neutral or even amused tone.

But why is it up to the guests to do the criticism? This isn't like Mr. Toad or Snow White, where reasons for the disappointment are primarily based on nostalgia and sentiment for the ride from its diehard group of fans. There's actually a bit of a story here: Disney is closing a ride based on a country's national culture, to open a ride based on an American-branded film. I'm surprised Time or Newsweek don't at least want to publish a small editorial or opinion piece about what this says about the pervasiveness of modern branding, our culture's changing interests (or lack thereof, in other cultures), and American society as a whole - and to me, it really says a lot.

When EPCOT Center opened, the press reported with enthusiasm about the park's cultural and intellectual accomplishments, and what the park represented at a level beyond the standard character-themed amusement park. Why is it up to fans to do this today?

lazyboy97o

Here's what I don't understand: we've had press publicizing the Frozen overlay of Maelstrom (usually neutrally or positively, or at least as part of a larger article explaining the popularity of Frozen), and now we have press reporting the guest criticism of the Frozen overlay - again, with a mostly neutral or even amused tone.

But why is it up to the guests to do the criticism? This isn't like Mr. Toad or Snow White, where reasons for the disappointment are primarily based on nostalgia and sentiment for the ride from its diehard group of fans. There's actually a bit of a story here: Disney is closing a ride based on a country's national culture, to open a ride based on an American-branded film. I'm surprised Time or Newsweek don't at least want to publish a small editorial or opinion piece about what this says about the pervasiveness of modern branding, our culture's changing interests (or lack thereof, in other cultures), and American society as a whole - and to me, it really says a lot.

When EPCOT Center opened, the press reported with enthusiasm about the park's cultural and intellectual accomplishments, and what the park represented at a level beyond the standard character-themed amusement park. Why is it up to fans to do this today?
In the public consciousness is this move really surprising or just today's Disney being today's Disney? When was the last time Disney, on their own, did something being a branded experience?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Like I said in another post, they have completely frostbitten the public now. Enough is enough.

Remember what Disney/ABC did with Who Wants to be a Millionare? Once it took off I think it was on 5 or 6 nights a week. Complete overkill and then it was gone. Frozen seems to be getting a similar treatment. I wonder if Frozen Maelstrom will last longer than the Who Wants to be a Millionare show at MGM Studios.

Bairstow

I'm surprised Time or Newsweek don't at least want to publish a small editorial or opinion piece about what this says about the pervasiveness of modern branding, our culture's changing interests (or lack thereof, in other cultures), and American society as a whole - and to me, it really says a lot

I'm not.
I doubt very seriously that anyone in the larger media would recognize a short Disney World boat ride as a significant tribute to Norwegian culture or history.

The interest in 1981/82 was because EPCOT was a new theme park destination with millions of dollars worth of new attractions and things to see. Any lip service paid to "cultural and intellectual accomplishments" was just making the most of the press kit Disney provided.

That the park has gradually drifted from its original stated mission and subject matter is of interest and concern only to diehard fans who are nostalgic for the older park.

MagicHappens1971

No. The problem isn't that Disney has created their own characters and are using them in an attraction, in fact, I love Frozen and think that an attraction based on the film is a fantastic idea. The problem lies in HOW they are using the new franchise. Removing a ride that is about THE VERY COUNTRY IN WHICH IT RESIDES is stupid! The Frozen ride belongs in the Magic Kingdom, you know, the place where ALL THE OTHER PRINCES ARE! Disney is just being dumb right now with the parks and destroying the integrity of World Showcase in the process. Bad Disney... Bad!

Considering that frozen did take place in Norway I think it fits.

Polydweller

Bairstow

I cant get the article to come up either, its taking me in circles, it opens but then blinks and goes to the main page and does the same thing over and over after clicking on the article.

The article is considered "premium content" and is supposed to only be readable by Sentinel subscribers.

RMichael21

I cant get the article to come up either, its taking me in circles, it opens but then blinks and goes to the main page and does the same thing over and over after clicking on the article.
Same thing with me. You have to sign up in order to view it regularly. :rolleyes:

thelookingglass

First they didn't react to have it in the parks because they thought it would flop - mistake number 1. Then, they responded in a completely tactless way by going completely overboard. Enough is enough - at least make some attempt to mask what a cash grab this all is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom