Frozen complainers are finally making headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I know, but still, in theory it took place in "Norway. I'm also a full supporter on more disney movies/characters in the world showcase.
So...you just want every park to be Magic Kingdom? Awesome. Lets just make every ride exactly the same And every restaurant should serve the exact same thing and every hotel should look exactly the same.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I'm not.
I doubt very seriously that anyone in the larger media would recognize a short Disney World boat ride as a significant tribute to Norwegian culture or history.

your trivializing the issue down to being as simple as a silly little boat ride. The larger issue at hand is more about society today as a whole and its lack of refinement and Disney catering to that very lack whereas they used to attempt to broaden a persons view.

It would make an excellent story. A company that used to want you to walk away with a better view of the world. Now they dont care what you walk away with, as long you bought it in a gift shop using your magic band.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
We have been in the parks all week, and at no time did I feel like Frozen was more prominent than any other disney character. It's what you make it... We have had a great week and all those little princesses running around look very cute.
Agreed. I too, just returned from an 11 day trip.
3/4 of the little costumed princesses were dressed as Elsa; hundred of little boys clutching an Olaf stuffed toy. Nobody harmed in the process.

47 year old woman here, travelling without kids, thoroughly enjoyed the Frozen Singalong @ DHS.
Twice. In the same day.

janoimagine

Why does everything have to be tied to it? Yeah, money. But how many rides and attractions can have Frozen in it?
How was your trip? Great! I had 18 interactions with Frozen including 8 hours of standing in lines to get a picture.

That sounds like a great vacation. How about something for the rest us?
Frozen jumped the shark when I saw Frozen themed Duct Tape at the local Meijers.

MagicHappens1971

So...you just want every park to be Magic Kingdom? Awesome. Lets just make every ride exactly the same And every restaurant should serve the exact same thing and every hotel should look exactly the same.
That's not what I said, are all the rides in Magic Kingdom the same? No! All I said was that Epcot needs some upgrades, and bringing in the Disney Princesses is not a bad idea.

Hula Popper

We have been in the parks all week, and at no time did I feel like Frozen was more prominent than any other disney character. It's what you make it... We have had a great week and all those little princesses running around look very cute.

Agree. We went for 6 days in mid-October. I've got three girls who loved Frozen, particularly my two youngest. We were at MK for about 6 hours on day 1, EPCOT for a full day on day 2, MK for a full day on day 3, HS for 7 hours on day 4, AK for 5 hours and MK for 7 hours on day 5, and did a character breakfast and the MNSSHP on our last day.

Did a ton of stuff. The only Frozen related things?
-A glimpse of A&E in the Festival of Fantasy Parade day 1.
-The Frozen Sing Along at HS on Day 4.
-A&E meet and greet, checking out some Frozen merch, and seeing the brief Frozen segment during the castle projection show on Day 5

Maybe I'm not forgetting something, but it definitely wasn't much. Maybe an hour out of the entire trip? And my girls loved seeing A&E. Definitely no Frozen overload in the parks when I was there.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's not what I said, are all the rides in Magic Kingdom the same? No! All I said was that Epcot needs some upgrades, and bringing in the Disney Princesses is not a bad idea.
I feel like this has all been said already in the Frozen replacing Maelstrom thread, but here goes. EPCOT does need upgrades badly. But they don't need to do it by adding more toons in world showcase. There are so many other ways they could go to improve EPCOT without going the Frozen Maelstrom route. Imagination/Universe of Energy/Wonders of Life pavilions could all be refurbed or completely gutted and redone. There were also several proposed new pavilions for world showcase (the concept art for Brazil was posted on another thread) or new rides added to Japan or Germany. Cramming Frozen into a small space in Norway isn't the only way to attempt to improve EPCOT. It's a bit lazy and could actually add to capacity issues in the park. Maelstrom is a low capacity ride and we all know how popular Frozen is. The lines could be huge for a very short ride. That's not going to make a lot of people happy.

The other reason it's a bad idea is Frozen deserves more. It's a smash hit that will eventually be considered a classic. They should be building a true E-ticket ride/mini land in MK where it would fit better. Give the people what they want, not a 4 minute boat ride. It's gonna be real hard to tell a good story with that short of a ride. They could have used some of the land behind Fantasyland to build an ice castle, a true e-ticket ride, a meet and greet area and maybe even a restaurant. Something on par with the rumored Frozen area for Japan.

Bairstow

your trivializing the issue down to being as simple as a silly little boat ride. The larger issue at hand is more about society today as a whole and its lack of refinement and Disney catering to that very lack whereas they used to attempt to broaden a persons view.

It would make an excellent story. A company that used to want you to walk away with a better view of the world. Now they dont care what you walk away with, as long you bought it in a gift shop using your magic band.

They never actually cared. You're buying into the company mythos way too hard.
The only reason the Norway pavilion existed in the first place was because Disney was able to convince Statoil to bankroll it in the hopes it would boost US tourism to Norway. Once that trend tied down, and Statoil stopped paying "rent" as it were, there was no reason for the pavilion to stand as it is.
Disney's wanting their paying theme park guests "to walk away with a better view of the world" was never part of the actual equation, regardless of what the Walt Disney Company would wanted you to think.

lazyboy97o

The only reason the Norway pavilion existed in the first place was because Disney was able to convince Statoil to bankroll it in the hopes it would boost US tourism to Norway. Once that trend tied down, and Statoil stopped paying "rent" as it were, there was no reason for the pavilion to stand as it is.
Disney's wanting their paying theme park guests "to walk away with a better view of the world" was never part of the actual equation, regardless of what the Walt Disney Company would wanted you to think.
Who sponsored the Columbia? Liberty Arcade? The Canada Pavilion? You're the one buying into a rewritten history, the idea that Disney always viewed theme parks as silly amusements of no consequence.

aladdin2007

It was a conglomoration of Norwegian companies formed together called NorShow, not just one any in particular individual corp. Heres a brief history that was published recently, (I'll have to dig up the link).... The pavilion ended up costing around $46 million. NorShow paid $34 million, not including a $2 million donation from the Norwegian government, and an $8 million loan from the government as well. The Walt Disney Company picked up the remainder of the cost, roughly one-third. NorShow sold the pavilion to Disney in 1992 for $26 million, a loss of $8 million. The Norwegian government continued to support the pavilion however for a five-year term from 1992-1997, with a contribution of $200,000 a year because they felt it was a good promotional tool. They renewed for an additional five-year term, but then finally decided in 2002 to drop all financial support, against the strong recommendations of the embassy in the U.S., feeling they were not receiving the same tourism benefits..I'll add in that several big attempts were made to regain support over the last ten years, the most recent final attempt being this past August, but the Norwegian government has outright refused and the continued battle over who should pick up the tab for a new movie didnt help matters.

I have to disagree with the bolded part, in the early years of the park I do think Disney wanted and cared that park guests walk away with a good positive sense and having learned something about the respective countries. All that has changed today sadly.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Honestly, epcot is so boring. Disney made these movies, but of course when the idea of a ratatouille ride came up everyone was okay with it, but if they put a beauty and the beast ride in france, no one would like it either. So like?
That's a fair point. I think some of the ire isn't just shoving Frozen (which did not take place in Norway) into Maelstrom instead of adding a new experience. It's not just about it being a cartoon...but about the fact they aren't really adding anything at all. The ride count won't increase at Epcot due to this...so what does it bring?

aladdin2007

That's a fair point. I think some of the ire isn't just shoving Frozen (which did not take place in Norway) into Maelstrom instead of adding a new experience. It's not just about it being a cartoon...but about the fact they aren't really adding anything at all. The ride count won't increase at Epcot due to this...so what does it bring?

bonuses to the neanderthals who thought it was a great cheap idea to overlay and implement, instead of something brand new from scratch.

Mike S

Huge lines to a space too small to handle them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom