Frozen at Disney's Hollywood Studios for the summer?

lazyboy97o

Its FLORIDA! This will be a hit.
Probably owing more to be Frozen and even just Disney. You would be surprised at how dead ice rinks in the south can be during the summer. It just does not connect with a lot of people.

Funny, its not like they are a business trying to make $$$.

To be clear from my point of view $10 for 1/2 hour of ice skating is DIRT CHEAP, cheaper than it is here before ice skate rental charges.
Really? Wow, you're getting ripped off. It is not much more at the Ice Den for an hour and forty-five minutes.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Probably owing more to be Frozen and even just Disney. You would be surprised at how dead ice rinks in the south can be during the summer. It just does not connect with a lot of people.

Really? Wow, you're getting ripped off. It is not much more at the Ice Den for an hour and forty-five minutes.

There is one rink serving a population of over 300,000 and they open privately during the day for hockey and figure skating and evenings for 2 hours. It costs $25 or so for skating, $5 for skate rental whether you stay 15 minutes or 2 hours.

wdwfan4ver

The cost of use of skates and access to the rink at DHS actually is more expensive than what the local Ice arena near me charges.

The local ice area near me charges each kid 10 years and old under $3.50 for a secession and $3.00 for ice skate rental. It costs each 11 to 17 year old and 60 years old and older $4.00 for a secession and costs $3.00 for ice skate rental. Even people 18 to 59 years old only have to pay $6.00 a secession with an additional $3.00 for ice skate rental.

Violiav

Soo things in different areas cost different prices? I'm paying less than 6 for evening movies, whereas 8 years ago in San Diego I was paying more than 10 for the same thing (even taking HD extreme vision into account).

Dwarful

As much as I love ice skating........and I do LOVE ice skating. No way am I going to pack our skates and lug them all the way to HS. Can you imagine some idiot trying to put them in a backpack swinging them around all day. Seems like an accident begging to happen. As far as the 'rental socks' our local play lands have thick socks for $1 a pair if you bring a child that doesn't have them (note field trips I always bring a few extra $1s because some little darling ALWAYS shows up in flip flops or some other sockless shoe). but you BUY the socks for $1 there is no renting. ughhh....no thanks. Helmets???? And if its not real ice??? forget about it ;)
$10 per half hour seems steep to me at least for my area especially after I have already paid to get into the park.

disney4life2008

Don't worry - you can enjoy DHS without having to participate.

Hat Stage sits empty during the day - so bonus show during the day
Premiere Theatre sits empty - so not missing anything
Soundstage One sits empty - so not missing anything
Dance Party is a Dance Party - no change for you.
Fireworks launch at 9:45pm - turn your head on the way out, hell, you might be able to get out of the lot easier since you are over the crazy

LOL I will check out the fireworks but the other events are not of interest. But I will buy the Olaf doll - he is cute.

disney4life2008

As much as I love ice skating........and I do LOVE ice skating. No way am I going to pack our skates and lug them all the way to HS. Can you imagine some idiot trying to put them in a backpack swinging them around all day. Seems like an accident begging to happen. As far as the 'rental socks' our local play lands have thick socks for $1 a pair if you bring a child that doesn't have them (note field trips I always bring a few extra $1s because some little darling ALWAYS shows up in flip flops or some other sockless shoe). but you BUY the socks for $1 there is no renting. ughhh....no thanks. Helmets???? And if its not real ice??? forget about it ;)
$10 per half hour seems steep to me at least for my area especially after I have already paid to get into the park.

Yea that does seem like a risk on behalf of disney. Very interesting points.

morningstar

Does that mean that guests will be required to wear helmets, or they will be optional? Seems like it might be a bit of overkill to me

Theme parks really don't like press about people getting injured at their park. I'm guessing they will enforce the policy.

Also, I really hope that the 'rental' socks aren't actually even re-used. Even if they're washed between uses, that just grosses me out to think about! I'll share (clean) socks with family and friends, but I don't even want to consider sharing with people I've never met!

I think you will be required to wear socks, but they can be your own socks, just like you can wear your own skates or helmet. They will just have socks on hand because some people didn't plan ahead and didn't wear socks to the park that day. I think you are probably right, they won't re-use the socks. They might even let you keep them as a souvenir. But in any case if the socks are gross you can wear your own.

morningstar

it's funny to me to read those who seem to not get the craze of this. Kind of reminds me of people i've encountered this month who don't get "soccer fan" and where this craze for the World Cup comes from. I'm not a soccer fan but I enjoy the event because it's once every four years and it's a chance to root for the US.

Anyway futbol aside, no matter what Disney movie that comes out there is always someone who loved it & someone who doesn't "get it."

Long story short, everything is overrated to someone (else everyone would rate things the same). When it comes to something rated highly by many, it's talked about much. The few who think it's overrated are drawn in and there is a lot of talk about it being overrated.

Disney Analyst

Up here in Canada, you can skate on a lake for free...

But where I live the lake doesn't freeze... so we also use one of several arenas... Skate rentals are pretty cheap, and that's all you pay for...

RayTheFirefly

I don't remember the article but it talked about renting skate and helmet forn $10.00 but it said you could use your own. Based on that I would expect the ice time is free. If I'm wrong I'm sorry but how can they charge $10.00 to rent stakes and helmet and give free ice time and then charge for those who have their own equipment.

Who in Florida is going to even have ice skates, let alone bring them to a theme park?

RayTheFirefly

Lots of people in Florida skate. I used to go down there for competitions all the time when I was a kid.

ETA: I have skates, though, and I would definitely not be lugging them around HS.

Interesting! I live in New Orleans, LA, and I don't think I've ever met a single person here who's even seen an ice skate in a store. Haha. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom