Frozen at Disney's Hollywood Studios for the summer?

doctornick

That's something of a disappointment. Kids will eat it up, but a proper 'Broadway-style' show would literally have broader appeal. Frozen deserves better, and a show (or attraction) which will last for more than a few months.

I'd actually be more interested in the fireworks show.

In an ideal world IMHO: this Frozen show would just be a place holder for when a higher quality Frozen show gets put into the BatB or VOTLM theaters.

Captain Chaos

That's something of a disappointment. Kids will eat it up, but a proper 'Broadway-style' show would literally have broader appeal. Frozen deserves better, and a show (or attraction) which will last for more than a few months.

I'd actually be more interested in the fireworks show.
I been thinking about the show, and it falls right into the demographics Disney aims for... kids, more specifically, little girls... Adults, in their eyes, are only ATMs who must give up their life savings (or little Jamie's college fund) for 1 week at Walt Disney World...

mm52200

Honestly this used to be the usual for Disney in the 90s when a new film was released. Every film in the 90s either seemed to have a stage show or a parade or something more elaborate than a meet and greet which is what the films get today.

lazyboy97o

Honestly this used to be the usual for Disney in the 90s when a new film was released. Every film in the 90s either seemed to have a stage show or a parade or something more elaborate than a meet and greet which is what the films get today.
Once again, this is Disney's culture of not considering theme parks to be a legitimate creative medium. The Studios pays for the promotion in the parks and they have no interest in paying for more.

WDW1974

I think it has nothing to do with Potter at all. There isnt much of a reason to stay at DHS at night, right?

I did a bit of 'research' and I can confirm what Dave has reported. And it doesn't really have anything to do with Potter ... more to do with Frozen being a huge franchise and someone up very high wondering why and how the Studio's biggest hit has no presence at the Studios in the first summer season post release.

But I also wouldn't expect much from this very late Frozen Initiative.

Disneyson

I hate to bring the Uni-Disney debate into this, but perhaps to make it more of a Universal Studios Park/Disney's Hollywood Studios thing --- I can imagine that, if I had booked a four day trip to Orlando (and were not as knowledgable about the parks as we are) I would equate Universal Studios and Hollywood Studios as equivocal because, as is obvious, the both have "Studio" in their name. And if I had to choose to go to one or the other, I would (this summer, at the least) choose Universal Studios, considering the amazing press/news/entertainment/word of mouth/fandom coverage of Diagon Alley. Unfortunately, to make this trip possible in my four days, I would drop Hollywood Studios, mainly because it's the one that has the least new marketing attached to it and "I've already been to a studio park".

So, that Disney is trying to make Hollywood Studios a /destination/ this particular summer seems plausible. Adding Frozen would 1. Add a draw that rivals the Potter fandom, 2. Makes the two studio parks instantly differentiated, making a separate trip to "the other studios" necessary (especially if media underplays the ability to see Anna and Elsa in the Magic Kingdom), and 3. Adds a new thing to a needy DHS, which is somewhat of a longterm problem any who.

I mean, just a day or two after Diagon Alley was announced I saw the Disney Parks Blog with a new Olaf logo, posting about Olaf merchandise that would mostly be available in the fall, anyway, but made it seem as though "Frozen is in the park /now/ so go!" I can easily see some sort of pun on "In Summer", being a slogan. "Get Frozen In Summer/ this Summer" at Disney's Hollywood Studios...?

I think it's incredibly smart marketing.

MarkTwain

Disappointed if they're just going the sing-along route - sounds like they're going for pleasing the kiddies vs entertaining families, and I think Disney's way off mark if they're assuming kids are the only ones interested in Frozen.

Just curious because I haven't been following such things, but how of much the park is affected by the firework shows? It will be interesting to see if late night crowds do substantially increase, how much of the park will actually get to remain operational.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

Disappointed if they're just going the sing-along route - sounds like they're going for pleasing the kiddies vs entertaining families, and I think Disney's way off mark if they're assuming kids are the only ones interested in Frozen.

Well, that's all conjecture at this point.

lazyboy97o

I hate to bring the Uni-Disney debate into this, but perhaps to make it more of a Universal Studios Park/Disney's Hollywood Studios thing --- I can imagine that, if I had booked a four day trip to Orlando (and were not as knowledgable about the parks as we are) I would equate Universal Studios and Hollywood Studios as equivocal because, as is obvious, the both have "Studio" in their name. And if I had to choose to go to one or the other, I would (this summer, at the least) choose Universal Studios, considering the amazing press/news/entertainment/word of mouth/fandom coverage of Diagon Alley. Unfortunately, to make this trip possible in my four days, I would drop Hollywood Studios, mainly because it's the one that has the least new marketing attached to it and "I've already been to a studio park".

So, that Disney is trying to make Hollywood Studios a /destination/ this particular summer seems plausible. Adding Frozen would 1. Add a draw that rivals the Potter fandom, 2. Makes the two studio parks instantly differentiated, making a separate trip to "the other studios" necessary (especially if media underplays the ability to see Anna and Elsa in the Magic Kingdom), and 3. Adds a new thing to a needy DHS, which is somewhat of a longterm problem any who.

I mean, just a day or two after Diagon Alley was announced I saw the Disney Parks Blog with a new Olaf logo, posting about Olaf merchandise that would mostly be available in the fall, anyway, but made it seem as though "Frozen is in the park /now/ so go!" I can easily see some sort of pun on "In Summer", being a slogan. "Get Frozen In Summer/ this Summer" at Disney's Hollywood Studios...?

I think it's incredibly smart marketing.
I don't think anyone but Disney and some of the fan media would play up a sing-a-long (or even a full on stage production) as anything close to he Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley.

Cesar R M

Just curious because I haven't following such things, but how of much the park is affected by the firework shows? It will be interesting to see if late night crowds do substantially increase, how much of the park will actually get to remain operational.
Exactly what I was thinking.
they're just ignoring the teen and young adults crowd.

Ignohippo

Without going into detail of how i know this, I have several independent sources that confirm this.

This is the information I have. Believe me or don't. But everyone who knows me and knows my rep knows I wouldnt post this unless I was 100% solid on this.

Not doubting you a bit. Just saying my folks know nothing about it. It doesn't make your info any less credible.

Ignohippo

Good point about the size of the theatre, the M&G madness reveals the current level of interest...

But thinking forward - there should ALWAYS be a third show staged (whether in the PT or in the AIE location). Frozen now, and then...when the next hit comes along...that one. A smallish show can be cast and staged relatively quickly (Lord knows MUCH more quickly than a ride can be built ;)) and changed out when the numbers drop. If no big hit is available - don't close a theatre in a park that DESPERATELY needs attractions. Instead, stage a "Disney's Greatest Songs" show like one you might see on a DCL ship. People would eat that up! There could be internet voting for songs to be included, requests...it'd be money in the bank. And something for older folks and little kids, to boot.

To chime in on Jedi - if you've ever made the mad dash with a son to sign up for JTA - you'd know that increased capacity would be MUCH appreciated. Even getting to the park (in early December) 45 minutes before opening, and hot-footing it to the sign up - my kid got the midday show. By the time the CM took his name, they had cut the queue off. The park wasn't even "officially" open yet. :jawdrop: Oh, just occurred to me, can you FP+ JTA now?

And one more about JTA...my kid and I go to the LEGOLAND (Windsor) Star Wars weekend every year. There are lots and lots of ADULTS doing (the LEGOLAND version of) JTA (I won't lie, I was judging a little :p). Presumably DHS could do that as well, if capacity were increased. Lots of $$$ to be made from selling merchandise with that one, I'd bet. :greedy:

War and Peace again, sorry...

Agreed about JTA and yes, we've done it.

Only thing is, a bigger stage doesn't necessarily mean more kids but it'd be great if it did. I'm not sure how they would give kids the "spotlight" if they added any more kids to it.

What would be helpful is if they could have an area in front of the stage where kids who aren't in the show could still be given lightsabers and go through the moves with a Jedi Master just like the kids onstage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom