Frontierland Shooting Arcade completely removed?

devoy1701

I had a feeling about this when it first went under refurb. Will be interesting to see what comes of it when the scrims are taken down.

boufa

Original Poster
Let me clarify my initial post, the shooting arcade is being rebuilt from ground up

No one is suggesting it is going away, I just found it shocking that they would completely remove a building and build brand new as part of a refurb. (and as pointed out by other posters, it went mostly unnoticed here)

The shooting arcade is scheduled to re-open September 30th. Its the building that is reported to have been removed, and built new again. They also don't put up scrims for things they are removing, only walls. This area clearly is going to be a shooting arcade still.

The curiosity is how much or what OTHER stuff might they be doing that would require the reconstruction of the building. It might not be an outpost for the game, it could just be one of the interactive elements.

Here is the link to the pictures http://orlandoparksnews.blogspot.com/2011/08/magic-kingdom-update-tiki-rooms-new.html I like wdwmagic, it is my first stop for daily news, but this guy keeps a tight watch also, seemingly brick by brick.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
anyone remember the massive arcade there and the shooting gallery. i used to spend hours there, probably drove my parents nuts..."we spend all this money comin here and you just want to play in the arcade?!"

I'm so glad you brought that up. The old Contemporary arcade was amazing! I remember having so much fun in there as kid in the mid to late 80s, especially at the shooting gallery. If I remember correctly, I believe it was open all night. The old arcade was huge. The new arcade on the 4th floor is a joke compared to the original.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Let me clarify my initial post, the shooting arcade is being rebuilt from ground up

No one is suggesting it is going away, I just found it shocking that they would completely remove a building and build brand new as part of a refurb. (and as pointed out by other posters, it went mostly unnoticed here)

The shooting arcade is scheduled to re-open September 30th. Its the building that is reported to have been removed, and built new again. They also don't put up scrims for things they are removing, only walls. This area clearly is going to be a shooting arcade still.

The curiosity is how much or what OTHER stuff might they be doing that would require the reconstruction of the building. It might not be an outpost for the game, it could just be one of the interactive elements.

Here is the link to the pictures http://orlandoparksnews.blogspot.com/2011/08/magic-kingdom-update-tiki-rooms-new.html I like wdwmagic, it is my first stop for daily news, but this guy keeps a tight watch also, seemingly brick by brick.
That is good news. I typically favor a full out gutting vs. a spit and polish. Now I am really looking forward to what will be there when the tarps drop.

djkidkaz

Yeah the MK shooting gallery is the best one I've ever seen. So much to shoot and interact with, it's very well done! The only problem was that the guns always had problems. So they should definitely replace those. My guess is they are redoing the building probably so it has more of an overhang to have a castmember under it as a sorcerer checkpoint. This will also draw more attention to the fact there is a shooting gallery there as right now it's pretty tucked away and I'm sure goes unnoticed by most.

FutureWorld1982

I am the one that posted the pictures, and I wanted to confirm that I personally saw that everything inside the building was gutted. They completely removed also the stand where the guns were previously attached to. Of course, they may just completely re-do it with no visible change to the guests, or change its purpose altogether.

mickeysaver

The one thing that I would love to see is some sort of credit card slot on the game station rather than the quarter slots. If this were to go away, I would have one unhappy camper in the house. Going to the MK means we always have to get quarters the day before.

I had noticed when I was there in late 2010, the CM's were having ton's of issues with the Guns registering, machines eating money, etc. Especially on left side. So much so, that we were given several free games for our patience. My kids love it, so I'm glad that it's hopefully getting some of the attention that it needs.

jjharvpro

I'm not completely distraught about this. Though some consider the Shootin' Arcade a classic, it is very dated.

I thought with the refurb, they might add some enchancements, but also add in the elements that are part of Sorcerers of the MK. So I expected the Arcade to stay as it is, just with the new elements of the interactive game and such.

juniorthomas

I'm not completely distraught about this. Though some consider the Shootin' Arcade a classic, it is very dated.

I thought with the refurb, they might add some enchancements, but also add in the elements that are part of Sorcerers of the MK. So I expected the Arcade to stay as it is, just with the new elements of the interactive game and such.

Yeah, it was incredibly dated and probably one of the least Disney unique attractions there (being that there are incredibly similar shooting galleries on boardwalks and other theme parks across the country). Still, it was pretty fun.

As a person who enjoys the shooting arcade, I would hate to see it go. I think a bit of updating would be great. Not necessarily changing the set, but making the guns and targets a little more receptive.

That said, the need to use quarters is a huge hassle.

I was recently at DCA where they have actual "midway" style games. You have to load up credits on a card which is the exact same as the ones used in the resort arcades.

If those machines were placed out there, it will be a lot easier. Also, I believe most people who go to WDW as resort guests get a complimentary $5.00 arcade card with their tickets, etc.

You would have a continuous use from resort arcade to Frontierland Shooting Arcade.

Just an idea...

mightynine

How far have we slid when putting a quarter into a machine becomes a major undertaking?

Think of less like that and more "Who's carrying cash or change these days?"

Especially at WDW, where you could go your whole trip just using your key card to handle any transaction.

Just sayin'.

dreamfinder

How far have we slid when putting a quarter into a machine becomes a major undertaking?

Think of less like that and more "Who's carrying cash or change these days?"

Especially at WDW, where you could go your whole trip just using your key card to handle any transaction.

Just sayin'.

This.

I know that a majority of the change I receive gets dumped in the room at night, to get in the Disney jar when I get home. And even so, that change is minimal since most stuff gets put on my KTTW card.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom