From the Press Event - New celebration to be called "What Will You Celebrate?"

jt04

I thought there were two big annoncements today???

Personally I am celebrating the fact I did not allow myself to get drawn into the "big announcement" hype. Congradulations me!:sohappy:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
NEW YORK (Sept. 18, 2008) – Everyone who visits a Walt Disney World Resort or Disneyland Resort theme park on their birthday in 2009 can get in free, as Disney Parks embraces a newly identified family travel trend called “celebration vacations.”

In this new national trend, American families are hitting the road to mark life’s special occasions – birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, reunions and more – with a “celebration vacation.” In 2009, Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts will lead this growing trend with new entertainment and services that allow guests to turn their personal milestones into magical Disney experiences.

And to kick it all off – a first-ever opportunity for guests to receive a free ticket to one of the Walt Disney World or Disneyland theme parks on their birthday in 2009.

“Birthdays are the one occasion that we all share every year,” said Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, at an announcement event today in New York. “We thought a free birthday ticket would be the icing on the cake as we extend this new ‘celebration vacation’ trend to Disney Parks.”

Disney parks provide the perfect setting for this new style of vacation that celebrates the special occasions in life, Rasulo added.

Whether a guest is celebrating a birthday, an anniversary, Quinceañera or any special occasion, Disney parks already are filled with favorite characters, world-class attractions and entertainment, and legendary guest service – exactly the “something for everyone” that trend-watchers say families look for in a “celebration vacation.”
“The special moments in your life become truly magical when you celebrate at a Disney park,” Rasulo said. “Sharing a milestone at Disney connects families, friends and generations.”

Nationwide Survey Reveals ‘Celebration Vacation’ Trend

A nationwide survey of nearly 4,600 adults conducted by Ypartnership – co-author of the influential National Travel Monitor – showed that 70 percent of U.S. leisure travelers have taken a vacation with the primary purpose of marking a special occasion in their lives – a “celebration vacation,” as Ypartnership President and CEO Peter Yesawich termed it.

Respondents mentioned a broad range of events worth celebrating with a special vacation – not just birthdays and anniversaries but a first vacation with children, a job promotion or recovery from an illness.

Whenever something positive happens in their lives, people seek out ways to make them more special, Yesawich said, and vacations are clearly perceived as both an appropriate and desirable way to do so.

Time does pass quickly and there is a growing trend to slow down our frenetic lifestyles and stop to rejoice around the things that matter,” he said. “Families on ‘celebration vacations’ are looking to truly commemorate moments in their lives – in special places everyone can enjoy.”

Research showed that when they take that “celebration vacation,” families are looking for destinations that provide activities for children and – better yet – activities adults and children can enjoy together.

Given these findings, it’s not surprising that Disney Parks topped the list of destinations where families would most like to celebrate these special occasions,” Yesawich said.

wild01ride

NYC for 50 gibillionth time

I think that the poster was asking how those who are not in NYC are keeping up with the news - there seems to be some source for an online streaming version of the press conference.
I think they've gathered that NYC is the location of the press conference!

DivineMadness7

What about the people who wear "Happy Birthday" buttons 2 or 3 months before/after their birthday? :rolleyes:

Edit to add: I still find it a bit ridiculous that certain websites are "censored" on here. Big brother, where art thou?

dazzer68

well nice one disney! we are coming home the day before one of our party has a birthday! if we had none birthdays were going to big things we would have booked it to cover the birthday! surley a lot of people (overseas travellers) have booked for next year holidays, they should be running 2 years in advance not a few months. nothing to celebrate yet!

WildLodgeFan

Well since we are going on a "Celebration Vacation," (celebrating DD's 16th Birthday at WDW next week) I would have to say kudos to the marketing department as realizing an opportunity to increase profits. I'm interested in seeing what type of promotions/packages they will be offering as part of this campaign.

njDizFan

ohhhh, so close. I'll be there(dec 25th-Jan2nd) with my daughter, who's birthday is December 31st 2008.
can I get an exception!!??

wchoodjr190

This does change the way u travel

instead of worrying about not packing the toothbrush you now have to not forget the birth cert and Marriage cert
I'm sure they know what there doing, but right now I see the already frantic and stressful start to a vacation being just a little bit more frantic and stressful

Have a Magical Day

New2WDW

OK then, how will this pan out for packages....Everyone in the room must be on the same package and tickets so everyone will be free on that day! :lol:

Seriously though, if you go down on a package and buy 4 or more days of tickets and a bday person gets in free then they will be wasting a regular ticket. Even then the free ticket replaces a +/- $30 ticket when you have a multi-day ticket. I guess the only way to really take advantage of this Free BDay is to go down for a quick weekend trip and save the $80 for that persons ticket. Just doesn't sound right to me overall. :veryconfu

calismic

I'm curious myself what the Character Experiences will cost, because let me tell you....I am getting married December 11th, 2008 and Mickey and Minnie do NOT come cheap!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom