From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveeeeed

Ironically... I think the INVERSE would cause more of a stir. Everyone knows the alligator's aren't Disney's creation or what people come to Disney for... yet the attractions are.

And everyone knows there is alligators in Florida....
Attraction deaths/injuries happen at pretty much any park around the world, it is a risk just like any vehicle in motion has, but people that don't know about the alligators, or assume there won't be one have no prior way of knowing without a sign or something along those lines.

Chef Mickey

SSL shoreline was gross already and now proven to be dangerous. They should build elevated boardwalks around the whole thing. They'd be more attractive than the water line they have now anyway, and would make it near impossible for a guest to get near the water.
You underestimate peoples' stupidity. People will get themselves into trouble and ultimately blame will be placed upon whoever has the most money.

EngineJoe

Attraction deaths/injuries happen at pretty much any park around the world, it is a risk just like any vehicle in motion has, but people that don't know about the alligators, or assume there won't be one have no prior way of knowing without a sign or something along those lines.
It was a freak accident. You don't see watch out for being struck by lighting warning signs or beware the armadillos that are contagious with leprosy signs and there's a much higher probability of dying from that or becoming a leper then being killed by an alligator.

Daveeeeed

It was a freak accident. You don't see watch out for being struck by lighting warning sidings or beware the armadillos that are contagious with leprosy signs and there's a much higher probability of dying from that or becoming a leper then being killed by an alligator.
My point is some people have no way of knowing there could be an alligator that could attack you there. There's not evens signs!!! This is a tourist destination it is different than some random place too.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You may know there are gators there, but if you're not from the south, and if you assume Disney wouldn't have them you would have no way of knowing that there could be gators there without signs etc.
They may, if they even think about it, assume that Disney has some sort of netting or something in SSL to prevent that around the hotels...which, they don't...but, I could see someone unfamiliar with the local biology assuming that Disney would take such a precautionary step (which they won't/can't).

PorterRedkey

Ironically... I think the INVERSE would cause more of a stir. Everyone knows the alligator's aren't Disney's creation or what people come to Disney for... yet the attractions are.

And everyone knows there is alligators in Florida....

Maybe, but when I worked for Disney 25 years ago people would ask when the 3:00 parade started. People are on vacation, their worries are left behind. Alligators are not on most guest minds at all.

That kid just wanted to put his feet in the water, it is such tragedy. So sad.

prberk

Grand-Floridian-Exterior-Night_fixed.jpg

Sigh. So, sad. This image was already my wallpaper. I can't help but think of the serenity of this scene juxtaposed with the tragedy that occurred here (or nearby).

Sigh again. My prayer is that the family, and especially the father, will find solace in the time that he had with his son -- and with faith, will see him again.

Daveeeeed

They may, if they even think about it, assume that Disney has some sort of netting or something in SSL to prevent that around the hotels...which, they don't...but, I could see someone unfamiliar with the local biology assuming that Disney would take such a precautionary step (which they won't/can't).
I think it is more about people assuming that there are not going to be alligators in SSL, or even Bay Lake. Alligators can walk for miles on land, but if your not from the south you legitimately can't be to blame if signs are not posted.

EngineJoe

That doesn't downplay it though.

Yes but there's not much Disney can do to prevent such a freak, small probability occurrence other than constantly killing and annihilating all the gators 24/7 on their resort property.

Putting up a sign or a sea wall would only reduce the probability from .00000001 to .000000011%

scmit02

Will something change? yes. Will it be extreme? Maybe. But paving over SSL? If it isn't there...the gators move, they just don't go poof. I don't think there is one resort on property that doesn't have body of water with a gator in it (rides don't count).

This morning the news said that in the 60/70s there were about 1,000 gators in FL. Today there are over 1.5 million! As I type this now I see one 25 yards from my office parking lot. On my way home I will 1 or 2 more in the man made drainage ponds in my neighborhood. I have had them under my car, in my back yard, at my front door. I don't live near a natural lake and don't live on water...they walk!

If you don't have "man made" bodies of water WDW would be underwater every time it rains. Disney doesn't spend all that money building lakes, rivers, ponds because they are pretty it is because they are required, serve a purpose and allow WDW to exist.

polynesiangirl

The Seven Seas Lagoon is kinda gross. That water is nasty, the shorelines are weedy, puke-green and mucky in places, and any time I see people swimming in there (in spite of the posted signs, it happens ALL the time,) I think they are insane. You could not pay me to get in that water, and there was no doubt in my mind that it was teeming with gators. While I don't know that Disney NEEDS to change anything given how extremely rare this event was, I maybe wouldn't be opposed to a barrier/additional deterrent of some sort that would be a CYA for them. I mean, I LOVE the loop resorts for many reasons, but "let's go hang out by the man-made swamp" has never been high on my list of things to do, anyways. It's not like the SSL is super-glamorous as it is.

This crazy scenario just never crossed my mind, though, in part because "fatal, unprovoked alligator attack along a shoreline at Disney World" is not something we've ever heard of happening before.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You may know there are gators there, but if you're not from the south, and if you assume Disney wouldn't have them you would have no way of knowing that there could be gators there without signs etc.

The point being... a news story highlighting the fact there are GATORS IN FLORIDA and GATORS CAN KILL doesn't have a lot of teeth.

This only has traction because its DISNEY and the story relies on the idea of the safe serenity that people expect on their vacations is violated by such an act.

Where as if it were a Disney attraction accident.. not only is your vacation ideal crushed... we have the angle of Big Corporation does bad things... scandal.. etc

EngineJoe

Will something change? yes. Will it be extreme? Maybe. But paving over SSL? If it isn't there...the gators move, they just don't go poof. I don't think there is one resort on property that doesn't have body of water with a gator in it (rides don't count).

This morning the news said that in the 60/70s there were about 1,000 gators in FL. Today there are over 1.5 million! As I type this now I see one 25 yards from my office parking lot. On my way home I will 1 or 2 more in the man made drainage ponds in my neighborhood. I have had them under my car, in my back yard, at my front door. I don't live near a natural lake and don't live on water...they walk!

If you don't have "man made" bodies of water WDW would be underwater every time it rains. Disney doesn't spend all that money building lakes, rivers, ponds because they are pretty it is because they are required, serve a purpose and allow WDW to exist.

Yeah there not much Disney or anyone can do other than the state of Florida enacting a gator species extermination program. And even that would take a long time to extinct the population of gators.

Daveeeeed

The point being... a news story highlighting the fact there are GATORS IN FLORIDA and GATORS CAN KILL doesn't have a lot of teeth.

This only has traction because its DISNEY and the story relies on the idea of the safe serenity that people expect on their vacations is violated by such an act.

Where as if it were a Disney attraction accident.. not only is your vacation ideal crushed... we have the angle of Big Corporation does bad things... scandal.. etc
Exactly, but people like the family of the child from Nebraska probably didn't think that there would be gators in the lake. The gator was just using it's instincts it is not to blame, but of poor signage, and removal of the gators etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom