From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Exactly, but people like the family of the child from Nebraska probably didn't think that there would be gators in the lake. The gator was just using it's instincts it is not to blame, but of poor signage, and removal of the gators etc.

Your post was about the media impact... that's what I was responding to.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Probably. Maybe not. They tried to deal with Disneyworld like the rest of the state...and, I'm not sure that's the right thing to do.

Floridians are aware of this, or learn quickly...frankly, most Southerners would be aware. But, this family was from Nebraska. Or, just imagine some British family?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/terrified-brit-family-chased-alligator-8197003

I suspect, however, that the beaches will be severely altered and or shuttered after this...and they'll call that that...but, it doesn't stop issues in areas like, say, Ft. Wilderness, etc...

Frankly, imho, with a property like Disney, they should be allowed to remove gators upon discovery, at least in certain waterways...and, the State flat out admits/implies that is not the case. As their regulations for the rest of the state, the gator needs to be deemed a "nuisance" first, then the contract approved, and that could take days if not weeks...

Under Chapter 120, FWC should be able to enact emergency rules and I am sure a tragedy like this will provide the motivation to do so. Will have to ask my neighbor and former colleague who is still with FWC if this will be the case.

Then Governor Chiles and the Fla Legislature implemented changes to the agency rule making process to (1) make it more transparent and (2) provide for a more structured period of public comment. Having been involved in the rule making process, it's not as simple as you'd like. On one side you've got stakeholders who want less regulation. And on the other side, you've got those who say you (the agency) aren't doing the job the Legislature empowered you to do. And both will sue to stop agency action they think is illegal. On top of that, you may have federal agencies that have oversight of your agency's activities (very common for both environmental agencies in Florida).

At the very least, Disney should update signage at all resorts on bodies of water and consider installing barriers. But I've golfed at public & private courses that don't have signage or fences around water hazards. I just keep a close eye on the gators I see sunning themselves and just take the stroke if my ball ends up near them.

Visitors to Florida need to educate themselves about some of the wildlife we have, especially those visitors from overseas or parts of the U.S. (thinking Midwest) unfamiliar with some of the animals unique to Florida and the South. Travel agents can proved such info. Popular venues like Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, etc., can provide info on their websites. Not just about gators, but water moccasins and snakes in general, bears, raccoons (major carrier of rabies), coyotes (watched one saunter down my street last week), etc. Visit Florida can also provide info on their site, even though that's counter to their mission of promoting the fun and sun of Florida.

PhotoDave219

The point being... a news story highlighting the fact there are GATORS IN FLORIDA and GATORS CAN KILL doesn't have a lot of teeth.

This only has traction because its DISNEY and the story relies on the idea of the safe serenity that people expect on their vacations is violated by such an act.

Where as if it were a Disney attraction accident.. not only is your vacation ideal crushed... we have the angle of Big Corporation does bad things... scandal.. etc

Well, yes. Take Disney out of the equation and it's just weird Florida News.

polynesiangirl

I guess you've never been canoe'ing or other activities out on ponds, lakes, etc. Live a little...
I was only speaking for myself (and no, for the record, you are correct. I am not really into that stuff.) That said, I have been to many lakes in my lifetime, and I was primarily trying to say that, as lakes go, I don't personally rate the Seven Seas Lagoon as one I find especially pretty, or compelling as a place to swim or hang out in its current state. I suppose the idea of swimming in it appeals to some people. Evidently it must because I see people doing it every time I visit WDW.

LAKid53

Premium Member
SSL shoreline was gross already and now proven to be dangerous. They should build elevated boardwalks around the whole thing. They'd be more attractive than the water line they have now anyway, and would make it near impossible for a guest to get near the water.

However, a boardwalk (along with signage and park rangers) didn't stop a visitor to Yellowstone from stepping off it and falling into a highly acidic geyser and dying......

HouseHacker97

Good article about the legal liability in Florida from wild animal attacks. http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/opini...nny-cevallos1015PMVODtopPhoto&linkId=25587412

great article. I don't think disney will likely lose a lawsuit because it really seems like Disney cannot be liable in this situation. However, the only thing i can think of that might sink disney's battleship here is if CM's were aware of the child in the water at the time or were aware of people feeding the alligators prior to the attack

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
great article. I don't think disney will likely lose a lawsuit because it really seems like Disney cannot be liable in this situation. However, the only thing i can think of that might sink disney's battleship here is if CM's were aware of the child in the water at the time or were aware of people feeding the alligators prior to the attack
Disney will cut a check well before a trial ever happens and this is me saying Disney isn't at fault. But being right or wrong doesn't matter sometimes. This case would be bad PR.

Nemo14

One death in a horrific freak accident/incident and 103K hits on this thread in less 24 hrs. ... 49 people murdered and another 53 injured or maimed not much action on multiple threads, despite the fact the murderer is said to have targeted Disney originally.

One could surmise that the issue of alligators eating children at WDW is much more of a danger than the proliferation of weapons of war/mass destruction being legal in this country. Or people simply thinking that having such a violent gun-loving society is a good thing.

I dunno. It all makes me sick.

Y'all talk dumb talk about paving over the Seven Seas Lagoon ... or how much money Disney will pay ... or whether common sense should ever count in our society ... or whether Disney could have done more to warn of potential wildlife encounters ... I'm going to move on to something less important and less taxing ... Bob Iger's Legacy and SDL.
Perhaps because the thread about the shooting got too nasty?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Aligators can climbs walls and run at 25 mph.

Yeah, nothing makes one stop and wonder at what a gator can do like seeing the picture of one climbing the wall next to someone's front door... looked like it was trying to ring the door bell...

There was a picture in National Geographic several years ago of a croc standing on its tail to reach a monkey on a tree limb several feet above water. I had the same reaction to that picture that I had to the one of the Great White leaping several feet above the surface to catch a seal. Like "holy , they can do THAT?!!!"

Electricsoup

Perhaps because the thread about the shooting got too nasty?
As I'm sitting in Epcot waiting for the show in Canada to start, I thought about this. For me personally - I was able to wait to unpack that mental luggage from the shooting. But this was literally outside my window. The shooting is horrific and terrible. This is the same but has the element for more people to be in these shoes. We easily could have been on that beach, it's our home resort. And it also went on for 18h with no resolution. That breeds a different flavor of conversation.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm kinda tired of the, they are from Nebraska they probably didn't know there were gators in a lake in Florida. I live in MD and gators in water in Florida is kinda obvious to me, and I've only vacationed there.
I'm sure they knew at some level, but knowing they exist vs how prolific they are in central FL are two different matters.

MOXOMUMD

(Seriously...is there any dangerous wildlife in Ohio??)
Black bears, bobcats, coyotes...lots of deer that want to run in front of your car. Someone plowed over a coyote a mile down my road. We grew up learning don't provoke them, leave them alone and they'll do the same but watch your kids, pets and small livestock outside until any threat has migrated out of the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom