From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT

21stamps

There are scorpions all over Florida - I found one (dead, thank God) when I moved my daughter's bookcase. So, if they're here in NE FL, they're in the Orlando area.
Omg I actually didn't know that! I've only seen them in the Keys. Im from Boca Raton which is still sub tropic and luckily never came across one!

I learned 2 new things today. Armadillos carry leprosy and more scorpions than I thought. Yuck

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I don't think Disney will let it go that far.

Exactly. They will settle this, no way they want the PR issues of this being slugged out in court. On top of that depending on the liability argument that could be raised and set precedent for future cases (not gator related just any injury on property) is not something Disney will want established.

thomas998

Please don't refer to the news agencies. If you watch the actual press conference the police chief confirms that the child was indeed in the water. It doesn't matter either way, but he was in the water.

Actually some of the news agencies probably have more information on what was going on than the sheriff, the sheriff wasn't there and was probably focused on trying to find the boy most of the day, the news agencies probably didn't give a rat's behind about the boy and were going after every possible witness they could find in hopes of getting information before the other guy. The news that claimed he was 10 feet from shore in very shallow water was one quoting the lifeguard at Disney.... Which I would expect to have more insight than the sheriff that didn't arrive until well after the event was over.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

At least be correct. The kid was standing in water. Standing. And every body of water in Florida has alligators. People still go in them. Also, if he would have been at the waters edge the EXACT same thing would have happened. Doesn't matter if he was a foot in or a foot on the sand.
So people ARE allowed in the water but just not to SWIM in the water?

thomas998

Omg I actually didn't know that! I've only seen them in the Keys. Im from Boca Raton which is still sub tropic and luckily never came across one!

I learned 2 new things today. Armadillos carry leprosy and more scorpions than I thought. Yuck

You have to be on the look out for scorpins all over the place.... My aunt in Oklahoma got zapped by one in a shoe, so they are certainly much further north than you would think if you were thinking they only liked tropical climates.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
There are scorpions all over Florida - I found one (dead, thank God) when I moved my daughter's bookcase. So, if they're here in NE FL, they're in the Orlando area.

Oh, lord no, really? I grew up in LA and was terrified of them as a kid. I sure hope they aren't here in NW Florida..... Cockroaches and scorpions... *shudders*

tissandtully

Disney is completely at fault for turning a blind eye to guests that feed alligators, this is the only thing to blame. Gators don't just get that close to people if they aren't being fed illegally. Anyone blaming the parents is a heartless person.

Mat Cauthon

Actually some of the news agencies probably have more information on what was going on than the sheriff, the sheriff wasn't there and was probably focused on trying to find the boy most of the day, the news agencies probably didn't give a rat's behind about the boy and were going after every possible witness they could find in hopes of getting information before the other guy. The news that claimed he was 10 feet from shore in very shallow water was one quoting the lifeguard at Disney.... Which I would expect to have more insight than the sheriff that didn't arrive until well after the event was over.
So if the lifeguard saw him wading in the water 10 ft from the shore before being attacked why didn't he tell the parents to get him out of the water.

Cletus

You have to be on the look out for scorpins all over the place.... My aunt in Oklahoma got zapped by one in a shoe, so they are certainly much further north than you would think if you were thinking they only liked tropical climates.
We used to catch them by the hundreds (no joke) here in MO (near St Louis).

21stamps

I totally admit that I didn't know that until now!

Bolt

So if the lifeguard saw him wading in the water 10 ft from the shore before being attacked why didn't he tell the parents to get him out of the water.
Lifeguards don't watch the beaches, just the pools so it must have been a coincidence in timing.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Me too. Armadillos carry leprosy. Wow. But then I've never seen a live one, only road kill. And I thought scorpions only lived in semi arid places like Southern California.

But nothing surprises me now after I watched a coyote saunter down my street last week.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Disney is completely at fault for turning a blind eye to guests that feed alligators, this is the only thing to blame. Gators don't just get that close to people if they aren't being fed illegally. Anyone blaming the parents is a heartless person.
Gators are opportunistic predators. They are very active at night and that's a prime feeding time for them. The child looked like prey to the gator. The gator was looking for prey and was not picky about what it was. It is just as dumb to feed a duck as it is a gator because then the duck keeps coming to humans for food which then brings the gator because the gator is looking for the duck. But if it comes across anything that can be prey for it then it will eat it. People need to think about the whole food chain when they're feeding the animals there.

HouseHacker97

how did disney turn a blind eye? there are signs that forbid it and everytime someone is seen doing it they are told to stop. What else can they do? they relocate gators all the time

21stamps

Me too. Armadillos carry leprosy. Wow. But then I've never seen a live one, only road kill. And I thought scorpions only lived in semi arid places like Southern California.

But nothing surprises me now after I watched a coyote saunter down my street last week.
The first thing I did when I moved to the Midwest (one of first things anyway).. Purchased an air horn because I am in serious fear of coyotes snatching my 4lb dog. I read so much about them before moving. So far I haven't seen one personally, and hope that I never do.

Oh, and the HUMONGOUS wolf spiders that like to weave a web on my deck-- I'm so scared of them. I'd take a palmetto bug over a giant spider any day.

Sorry- for being completely off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom