From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Movie night on the beach? IDK. Gonna have to let time play this one out.

I've rarely seen gators around the Seven Seas Lagoon. I know of some in Bay Lake (north of the contemporary is a known spot) but I've never seen a gator big enough to be a nuisance/threat in a guest area before.

There was fairly large gator in that area a month ago as posted by @tikiman ... who I have no idea whether or not still drops by here.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
In 2011? I was staying at Sports and was fishing in the little lake in back and saw a gator (I have video on my phone of him).

All the sudden this dude comes out of his room and starts making that loud kissing sound with his lips. The gator came over to about maybe 10 feet away from us. I was like "Dude how did you know that would work?" His response..."We were throwing him chicken the past 2 days and making that noise while we were doing it."

I posted about it in a trip report I did. I not sure what year and I'm way to fat and lazy to look right now.

But you know....People...

WDW1974

Only thing I can think would cause this is that guests have been feeding these Gators..so unbelievable :(

This is a problem. I recall a few years back seeing about a 4-5 footer in the water at the entrance to the Beach Club and idiots were tossing pizza to it. I calmly explained why what they were doing was wrong, possibly illegal and dangerous and ... I was told to go blank myself I went in and demanded to speak to the on-duty manager (no, wasn't staying there ... just lying and parking on my way into EPCOT because I am an awful person!) and he didn't take it as seriously as I would have hoped. Two days later I was there (dining this time) and on the way in, the gator was still there.

jlsHouston

We are here at GF on property...left for EPCOT around 5 and then dropped the 3 kiddos not in diapers at Sandpiper and took the 2 in diapers with us to millennia mall to get the 6 year old who's turning 7 in 2 days a few gifts...so we just returned. And as everybody is posting we have a helicopter circling non stop overhead, cops everywhere, state law enforcement... I dunno this is absolutely sad, terrifying, depressing, tragic. I just don't have the right words.

WDW1974

So sad. But Disney will take action against this. Probably closing off all beach areas in the resorts, not just GF.

Which is as ridiculous as most of their kneejerk responses. ... wildlife is a fact of life.

Florida black bears have been spotted in FW in the last few weeks. You just educated people and hope they act responsibly ... or you simply kill every animal you possibly can.

tissandtully

This is a problem. I recall a few years back seeing about a 4-5 footer in the water at the entrance to the Beach Club and idiots were tossing pizza to it. I calmly explained why what they were doing was wrong, possibly illegal and dangerous and ... I was told to go blank myself (no, it wasn't Jake as far as I know!) I went in and demanded to speak to the on-duty manager (no, wasn't staying there ... just lying and parking on my way into EPCOT because I am an awful person!) and he didn't take it as seriously as I would have hoped. Two days later I was there (dining this time) and on the way in, the gator was still there.
It's most certainly illegal, unless I guess since it's on WDW property they can do whatever they want. I'm born and raised Central Florida with Gators in my backyard and I've only heard of maybe small dogs being grabbed, a two year old is same size I guess, but around a whole crowd of people?

tissandtully

Which is as ridiculous as most of their kneejerk responses. ... wildlife is a fact of life.

Florida black bears have been spotted in FW in the last few weeks. You just educated people and hope they act responsibly ... or you simply kill every animal you possibly can.
Are there bear trash cans at FW?

s8film40

Wow. Has anything like this even remotely happened before? I know there are gators on property, but it's interesting that one that big would be hanging out in 7SL, and be aggressive enough to come out of the water to get a child.

If true, very sad....and scary.
There was an incident some time ago with an adult who's body was found in the lagoon between GF and MK. I never got the full story but what I heard was it was thought he had been attacked by a gator.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That is extremely unusual behavior and indicates to me that this gator was a problem and likely had been fed by people (maybe those great bungalows allow more gators to be lazy diners).
I was thinking the same thing. Gators generally avoid groups of people unless they have been fed and begun to associate people with food. When that happens, all bets are off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom