From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

kap91

Whats interesting is that even though the father was trying to fight the alligator did not let go. Are they really that stubborn or was this alligators views towards humans normalized?

I hadn't heard that - yeah that's even more weird. Generally the minute a gator starts getting pummeled - particularly in the snout - they go away.

The only way I could see all of the above happening is people have been feeding and interacting with it a lot and for a long time. Now that I'm hearing the kid was in the water that combination of events seems more plausible considering they hunt in shallow water- obviously a direct violation of the beach policy but terrible and probably not even on the minds of parents (if they weren't from the south) nonetheless.

I do take issue with the people blaming Disney for not taking care of the alligator population. While they may be at fault in other ways here - there's no reasonable way to completely control an alligator population in 40 square miles of swamp. Hell there's no way to guarantee that just in a small lake or fenced in pool - happens all the time down here. Disney does what they can - engineering banks of water bodies where possible to make them uncomfortable for the gators, removing and relocating any large ones they find, etc - but there's no way to be foolproof with it.

Disney Analyst

No, Disney does not allow people to enter the water. No swimming means stay out.

I watched the press section, the Disney spokesperson definitely seemed like she needed to pull herself together there at the beginning. I don't think she was meaning to be cold, just very focused on not breaking down on camera.

rob0519

Or someone did something else terrible and this was their plan.. they are both disgusting possibilities, but a gator snatching a child is just odd.

I'm sorry, but I can't follow this. Who else would have done something and what would that have been? What type of plan could be involved in this situation?

oceanbreeze77

I'm sorry, but I can't follow this. Who else would have done something and what would that have been? What type of plan could be involved in this situation?
It is an odd story and I myself waited to hear more about the case before fully believing it. I think what the poster is alluding to is that there ARE sick and twisted people out there who do this to their children. "Look over here while we run away". Although I don't think this is the case right now I can see why one would think its a possibility. More recently we saw this with the japanese kid who got lost "while berry hunting" even though the parents actually left him in the forest on purpose.

FrankLapidus

I'm pretty sure the signs say no swimming but I believe they allow wading in the water, which is what it sounds like was going on here.

They don't allow wading, I've stayed in two resorts with access to a lake or lagoon and was told both times at check-in that entering into the water is strictly prohibited. I was at the Grand Floridian a month ago, I stood pretty much where this incident happened and witnessed two CM's who were setting up the screen for the movie night stop a child entering into the water.

It's Florida, entry into any body of water like a lake or lagoon is placing your life in jeopardy and Disney very clearly warn against anyone going into that lagoon.

R W B

Wait, hold on. People are already trying to absolve Disney of any wrongdoing? Priorities are wrongly skewed in this case. Disgraceful.
What else am I suppose to do at 1:45am 650 miles away? Sure I feel bad for the family for their loss and wish for the best but...

That really doesn't matter. No, that kid and his dad should NOT have been out there, but putting out a sign says you know there are dangers. There should have been someone watching, on duty, there should have been some kind of a barrier or safety measures if you decide to have a beach designed for guests to utilize it, at that resort on that lake.
No, Disney didn't need someone on duty or a barrier there. Why do people think we need someone to hold our hands for everything these days. How about pay attention to the signs that are posted?

I don't think its completely the parents fault given the information. BUT For me its "Who would let their 2 year old near a body of water without someone an inch away"
I do think the parents are completely at fault here.

Call me insensitive, a jerk, or anything else you want but people need to have some self liability. Just because something tragic happened on a businesses property doesn't mean that business is automatically at fault. If these parents followed the warning signs that are posted then this kid would probably be tucked away into his bed sleeping right now. Yes, its brutal and too soon for some or most but it is what it is. This is a horrible and tragic situation and the feeling of literally fighting for your sons life a loosing is something that father has to deal with for life now. I just hope he doesn't beat himself up too bad because he still has 2 other children that will need him to be there for them.

Shane7694

This is just horrible.. Prayers for the family.. I also can't believe people are on here saying some of the stuff I've read..

Gringrinngghost

Preview for my Article on Behind the Thrills which will recap the whole event sofar for everyone:
Gut wrenching news out of the Grand Floridian Resort at Walt Disney World tonight as a 2-year-old boy on vacation with his family from Nebraska was taken by an Alligator into the seven seas lagoon.

The Reedy Creek Fire Department, which is the emergency services arm of the Walt Disney World Resort, responded to a 9-1-1 call about a 2-year-old being dragged into the water by an Alligator at the Grand Floridian Resort at 9:21 p.m. local time. The Orange County Sheriffs Office along with Reedy Creek and Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission responded to the scene.

The incident occurred about an hour into Disney's showing of the film Zootopia reportedly on the beach. “Everyone here at the Walt Disney World Resort is devastated by this tragic accident; our thoughts are with the family. We are helping the family and doing everything we can to assist law enforcement,” said Jackie Waller of Walt Disney Resorts. The Orange County Sheriffs Office has brought in 50 deputies and two marine units while the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission are pulling in extra resources and conducting a joint investigation with the Sheriff's office. Officials from the Florida Fish and Wildlife and Orange County Sheriffs Office are on a vessel with sonar equipment and an alligator trapper.

It was reported that the 2-year-old child was reportedly playing in about a foot of water, but Sheriff Jerry Demings of the Orange County Sheriff's Office didn't elaborate to whether it was a pool or the seven seas lagoon which the latter has "No Swimming" signs. Sheriff Jerry Demings said during a news conference that the father tried to jump in the water to rescue the boy from the alligator. The parents were also alerting a lifeguard but were unsuccessful in their efforts. The boy's father has few scratches on his hands from the rescue attempt and is being assisted by the Orange County Sheriff's Office victims advocates.

The Alligator has been estimated to be around 4 to 6 or 7 feet in length. It has been reported that Walt Disney World actively removes alligators above 7 feet long from their waterways. In an emailed media advisory to the local media outlets, around 12:30am the Sheriffs Office stated that the search and rescue operation had turned into a search and recovery operation. The Sheriffs Office will remain on scene and conduct an active search until the child can be recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom