From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

WEDwaydatamover

I don't think anyone is at fault on this one. It's a horrific incident and my heart goes out.

You can't reason with an alligator any more than you can sue it.

Herbie

Wasn't swimming allowed at some point? How long did that last? Even after that, I always assumed that you were allowed to walk along the edge of say the Poly beach (completely uninformed here, so now I know...) Is there still water-skiing on the lake? I feel like I read that they used to have machines in the bottom of the lagoon to generate waves for surfing...

It's a tragedy alright. Not much to say. :(

zooey

Besides gators don't they keep people out of the water because of the deadly amoeba in the shallows? You wouldn't want to wade in that water at any time of day. Disney needs to explain all that with more than "no swimming."

WEDwaydatamover

Swimming and water sports were encouraged probably into the late 80s/ early 90's.

There were "supposedly" brain eating amoeba found in River Country which share the same waters.

I just assumed (no swimming) in the waters was too many lawyers in the kitchen so to speak.

Liability vs lie ability.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Kind of makes you wonder how something like this never happened years ago BEFORE the "no swimming" signs were posted. I know that I have plenty of pictures of me hanging out in that water as a kid in the 80s.

Yeah I have to admit as sad as this is I still have to wonder in the back of my mind if this is 100% legit or if this is some sick twisted person. Certainly sounds possible tho so very sad

Disneyhead'71

Pretty beat up right now. Long week. And the third horrible news story since Fri. night. But we are here to keep y'all informed.

image.jpg

WEDwaydatamover

GhostHost1000 - While I can appreciate your partial feeling that something just doesn't feel right...

Disney has surveillance footage I'm certain.

LeafsFanNL

What a terrible tragedy. I think it is important to remember that the family is from a place where being by the water late at night is relatively safe. I mean, here in Newfoundland the only hazard in the water is hypothermia. People can be forgiven for not recognizing the hazard. Many warning signs are of the CYA variety, and some people ignore them.

G00fyDad

Besides gators don't they keep people out of the water because of the deadly amoeba in the shallows? You wouldn't want to wade in that water at any time of day. Disney needs to explain all that with more than "no swimming."

In Florida a No Swimming sign should be enough to warn people of the inherent dangers of going near a large body of water like SSL. Florida and alligators are synonymous. This is a tragic accident and I can barely comprehend this without wanting to cry for this family. I just keep seeing my little 2 year old grandbaby Noah in that situation. :cry: Part of the problem is that too many people get sucked into that bubble of safety they feel at Disney. They make false assumptions and let their guard down.

WEDwaydatamover

It is a very upsetting happening. It's been a hard week for Orlando. As long as we have nature and nut jobs these things will happen but not 99.9999999999999999% of the time at WDW.

I'm waiting for the guy to correct me and tell me it's 97.3%

G00fyDad

It is a very upsetting happening. It's been a hard week for Orlando. As long as we have nature and nut jobs these things will happen but not 99.9999999999999999% of the time at WDW.

I'm waiting for the guy to correct me and tell me it's 97.3%

Actually, it's 96.4%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom