From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParentsOf4

They might only be temporary measures but nothing they do now or in the future should come as a surprise to anyone.
I wonder about these rope fences. We've seen the tremendous press coverage this tragedy has received. It's been on the front page of numerous mainstream newspapers and the headline story for many broadcasts. Presumably, Disney recognizes that a visible response is needed immediately. Long-term, I wonder where this goes.

Based on what I know at the moment, I think the right solution is additional signage, Guest & Cast Member education, and a strictly enforced "don't feed the alligators" policy.

Last edited:

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
See this is what people get with all the incessant whining and Disney shaming due to a freak accident.

They will probably have to do the same thing at the beach club and yacht club at the boardwalk and the beaches at the Swan and Dolphin all to satisfy the whiners and give them the illusion of safety.

I assure you this fence idea was internal and not listening to whining. While they might not be negligent in this case. If they did nothing and it happened again, they sure would be.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
What do you think Disney should do about guests feeding the alligators though? I would think that would be very difficult to stop just like any guest feeding birds and ducks

Simple, TRESPASS THE SOB's No feeding Gators PERIOD. Feeding birds a bad idea but almost impossible to avoid if you are eating outdoors and drop something. But feeding the GATORS is a DELIBERATE ACT.

EngineJoe

I wonder about these rope fences. We've seen the tremendous press coverage this tragedy has received. It's been on the front page of numerous mainstream newspapers and the headline story for many broadcasts. Presumably, Disney recognizes that a visible response is needed immediately. Long-term, I wonder where this goes.

Based on what I know at the moment, I think the right solution is additional signage, Guest education, and a strictly enforced "don't feed the alligators" policy.

Fences won't address the Poisonous Bufo frog which is especially dangerous to small pets and small children.

They will probably have to shut down the wilderness lodge now because it is full of "dangers"

s8film40

Simple, TRESPASS THE SOB's No feeding Gators PERIOD. Feeding birds a bad idea but almost impossible to avoid if you are eating outdoors and drop something. But feeding the GATORS is a DELIBERATE ACT.
Yeah this is the real reason they have to build a fence. Not because people are whining and complaining but rather Disney doesn't want to be confrontational and tell someone they can't do something.

EngineJoe

So many water areas. Even at Pop there are tons of walkways toward the parking lots that are just feet from the water. It'll be curious to see how extensive they get with these.
It's gonna cost Disney a lot of money just to give an illusion of safety to combat a freak accident that happens rarely just to appease the whiners.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It's feeding the gators that caused the problem, The kid could have been 10' from the waters edge and the gator could have grabbed him in the blink of an eye, A small gator can do 25 MPH on land, A toddler what 3-4 MPH tops.
Actually, the experts have stated that the reason was twofold - night time when they feed the most, and since the boy was making noise, the gator figured it to be a wounded animal, and therefore, easy prey. Quite spouting stupid stuff.

21stamps

Actually, the experts have stated that the reason was twofold - night time when they feed the most, and since the boy was making noise, the gator figured it to be a wounded animal, and therefore, easy prey. Quite spouting stupid stuff.
If it is true that people were feeding the gators and that's why it came so close- then no, it wouldn't have mattered if the boy was in or out of the water.

The same way that alligators come in to people's back yards because others nearby choose to feed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom