Frightened by the enormity of it all...

gcn504

Original Poster
I'm coming to WDW for the first time ever in a few days time staying at the Caribbean Beach with my daughters who are 5 and 3. I'm really excited for them as they are looking forward to it like nothing else.

I've found this site useful and trawled thru the Top Tips but you do go into a meltdown trying to cram in all the information: which rides, where to eat etc etc especially for a first-timer like me.

One of the queries I have is around cash: I'm from the UK & when I visit Dallas on business *everywhere* takes Amex and you can put tips on it etc so have little need for cash. Staying at a resort hotel I think I read the stuff I buy around WDW can be charged to my room which you presumably settle at the end of the visit. Aside from visits to Sea World and perhaps Universal and odds and sods like groceries (water etc). Is there much need for cash as opposed to plastic in WDW?

Any other top tip for a first timer greatly appreciated.

wannab@dis

You can add resort charging to your room key and it will "settle" to your credit card upon checkout. Each resort level has a different credit "allowance" for charging to your room so you may need to call the front desk and have it reset if you are running low. It's painless and only takes a couple of minutes to do. Maybe someone will chime in with the limits since I don't remember the specifics. I didn't have to reset mine this past trip since we were using the Dining Plan so there were no major dining charges to the room key.

As far as cash in the parks, you really only need it for a FEW kiosks that are not set up for charging. Very few remain and most are simple drink carts scattered in the parks. We've rarely needed more than $20 in cash throughout a day.

Enjoy your trip! :wave:

TheDisneyGirl02

Using plastic around the parks is a good idea. You may want to carry a little cash with you (for carts that may not have credit machines, though I believe most of them do), maybe $50 or so. You can put a credit card down for your room and everything can get charged to that. I'm not sure if they set a limit on the amount you can charge to your room or not. I would check about that when you check in. Carribean Beach is a wonderful resort. I'm arriving for my WDW trip on Sunday and we're staying at Carribean Beach.

Have a great trip!

TheDisneyGirl02

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
As mentioned before WDW is almost completely cashless. There are only a few kiosks and show vendors that don't accept room charges and there numbers seem to be falling almost daily. You will more than likely not need more than $20 at any one time. When I take my family of 5 to the parks for the weekend we might spend $40 or $50 cash over the entire weekend.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I think you are normal in being a bit intimidated by all that is available at WDW and around Orlando. The best thing you can do to get the most out of your trip is to do a bit of pre-planning. There will be a lot of walking whatever you do, so with your two young girls, you will need to set a comfortable leisurely pace....think marathon rather than sprint.

If you haven't already, pick up one of the tour books, I think the "Official Guide" by Birnbaum will meet your needs. There are also specialty books focusing on trips with younger children. Generally if you can get up and get to the parks early, you will have a few hours with lighter crowds (and wait times). Familiarize yourself with Fast Pass and use it where applicable. In your first four days, plan on visiting one park per day then you can adjust the rest of your schedule based on what they seem to enjoy most.

Magic Kingdom is probably where you will spend much of your time, Animal Kingdom has a lot to offer younger ones followed by MGM and Epcot (IMHO). Pick two or three attractions that you consider must do's and hit that first, then explore other items the parks have to offer. Shows are good to do later in the day (FOLK in AK, Lights,Motor, Indy, Playhouse and Little Mermaid in MGM). If you want to do some sit down meals, dinner shows like Hoop de do Review, character meals, you should make reservations now.

It may be a good idea to plan on going back to the hotel mid-day for a swim or a nap so you are fresher for evening activities like parades and fireworks. Just don't feel you have to "do it all"....you just can't.

If you have any specific questions, fire away or feel free to PM me.

Pioneer Hall

Everywhere you go will accept AMEX. Even if you go to Universal or Sea World you will be fine using it. Besides for small outdoor carts your card will be good everywhere (and even in Disney, you can use a card at many of the small carts).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
For a first timer I`d recommend the Birnbaum guide to WDW - the regular one, not the `with kids` or similar editions. You can get it in the UK (WH Smiths or the Airport perhaps?) and it is a good way to kill the 8-10 hour flight.

Enjoy, you lucky so and so :D

barnum42

The only cash you may need will be for tolls if you plan to drive on certain roads and maybe for tipping purposes.

Other than use the plastic. The only thing we from the UK have to be aware of is when UK banks put an extra charge on transactions carried out abroad, but as you are an old hand at charging abroad you will know if this applies to your Amex Card.

Have a great time and take things at a steady pace rather than rushing.

DisneyBride94

If you are staying at a Disney Resort, you can charge everything to your account...so yes, there is not need to bring much cash.

Have you considered the dining plan? That way two meals a day are prepaid, including tips...and you also get a snack a day per person...

Anyhow...welcome to the boards...you'll have a fantastic time!

joelleharbert

I felt exactly like you when we took our first trip two years ago. We had three kids, all different age groups, so it was hard trying to figure out which each child would enjoy doing. We also spent alot of money and I didn't want anyone to feel like we missed something. In the end, I think I overplanned, because once we got there, the parks were empty and the kids just moved from one attraction to the next. Even with six of us there, we probably spent less than $30 in cash everyday at the parks. We just charged everything else to credit card to avoid having to take money to the parks. It worked out great! Have a great time and don't worry. You'll have fun even if you miss a few things here and there. WDW is so big and there is so much to do and see that you won't be able to do it all anyway, so just enjoy what you can. :wave:

slappy magoo

There's a school of thought that says, if you only use a credit card instead of cash, you will eventually spend more, because you never open up your wallet to see your cash dwindling away. So you better believe WDW tries to be as credit card friendly as possible!

When you land, I'd suggest getting a hundred dollars from an ATM, and break it down so you have 15 singles, 5 $5, and the rest in 20s. This way, with the singles & fivers, you have all the tipping options you need or if someone wants soda or gum from a vending machine. That might take care of all your cash needs right there, but if I'm wrong, there are ATMs in every park and resort.

colliera

Charging Limits

The charging limits are keyed to the level of resort at which you are staying. Value resorts are $500, Moderates are $1000, and Deluxe resorts are $1500. As stated before you can have your tab charged back to the credit card and reset the "Workd Key" to the max limit if you need. If you go to the front desk they can print a copy of your charges at any time so you can see where you are and check your charges before checkout.

Since you are staying at the CBR the limit will be $1000.

LudwigVonDrake

Take your time and go slow :) You don't realize how much walking you do and at the end of the day, you will be tired and you will sleep well each night. Go back to the hotel in the middle of the day to swim in the pool, hang out in the room or the arcade. Drink lots of water and I would suggest carrying no more than $50 on you while in the parks. You won't need more than that.

Have a great trip!! :wave:

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS :D

wannabeBelle

I think the cash topic has been covered pretty well!!! As far as any other tips, remember this is a vacation, not a commando take over. The girls are little and will get hot and tired prety quickly. Dont schedule to be up at the crack of dawn everyday or if this is normal for your group, make sure you schedule in some nap time in the afternoon. I also prefer a sit down dinner to relax and unwind. as opposed to grabbing a counter service meal on the run which always feels rushed to me. Florida is hotter than you can imagine so make sure that hydration and sunscreen are BIG priorities for you and your family. A lot of sunscreen can go a long way to making your vacation pleasant. The sun can get pretty intense and I have burned a few times without even noticing it. Definitely pick up a guide book, The Birnbaum's one for kids specifically is the one I would recommend. Have the kids go through it and pick out 2-3 items a piece per park that are must do's. This will give you a nice leisurely pace. Dont overlook EPCOT as most kids I know actually love it there. The Kidcot fun stations in the World Showcase are a great chance to let the kids get a breather and while one parent can stay with them, the other can look around the country that you are in!!! Most of the street shows in EPCOT are great and many kids are known to dance during sets of Off Kilter over in the Canada Pavilion!!! Any other questions, please post here and Ill try to help if I can!! Belle

gcn504

Original Poster
Thanks all for your advice. Off to bed now with our flight in the morning to be in WDW Saturday late afternoon.

Cheers.

minnie2000

The only cash you may need will be for tolls if you plan to drive on certain roads and maybe for tipping purposes.

Other than use the plastic. The only thing we from the UK have to be aware of is when UK banks put an extra charge on transactions carried out abroad, but as you are an old hand at charging abroad you will know if this applies to your Amex Card.

Have a great time and take things at a steady pace rather than rushing.

Make sure you've always got a few quarters on you. One time, we arrived, and driving from the airport, we took a wrong turn. To get back we needed to get through an unmanned toll, which only cost 25c, but we only had notes, not coins. There was no-one to ask, and then a car pulled up behind us. We started to panic when the driver got out, as we were blocking the way - we couldn't go forward, as we had no coins to activate the barrier, and we couldn't reverse back onto the freeway. Luckily he just threw in 2 coins, one for us and one for him, but it could have been awkward!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom