FP+ only Toy Story Midway Mania

TheRabbit

Sure, go ahead and twist my words into an extreme version of whatever you want them to say. That's fine! But, in reality, yes, they could do this, but I would hope you know that they wouldn't because it just wouldn't be right and would cause a lot of complaints, not to mention pxxxing people off. For this week, though, while they're testing this, they've said this is how you get to ride. Speaking to your way of thinking here, essentially, they have said you must wear a red shirt and schedule a time to ride, but we're giving you the red shirt and providing you with lots of times to choose from. The choice is yours.

Disney is in the business of providing entertainment to people, and by doing so they want to make money as well. But, they only have a limited number of attractions and can only accommodate a certain number of guests per day on each attraction. So, to rectify this, they're looking at new and creative ways to do this. I know they're different, and yes, I agree, I don't necessarily like them all, but I will try and be patient and wait to see how this all works.
Well, lets not quibble. But...in reality, Disney does what they want legally or not. And if you read the park rules at the bottom under 'Company Rights', there is nothing pertaining to rides. Everything pertains to the whole park. Read it, you'll see. Anyway, I just feel there are other ways they can do this without forcing you to do the fast pass thing. Let's agree to disagree, shall we. :)

GrumpyFan

Except wasn't the RnRC test more for data gathering for the new Dumbo queue system than anything else?

I believe they were testing the concept of virtual queueing, or queue-less waiting, and at one time, I thought they were wanting to try and implement on a wider basis.

JediMasterMatt

Right, because Guest Services is also conducting a Fastpass+ only test this week! :happy:

And like all of the guest surveys, I'm sure the FP+ version of Guest Services will be stacked with loaded questions just like the MM+ surveys have been:

"On a scale of 1-10, how satisfied were you with TSMM being exclusive to FP+?"
"1 - extremely satisfied or 10 - so satisfied that I'd purchase 2000 more DVC points to do it again"

Meanwhile, TSMM in Disney California Adventure continues to function with NO FastPass whatsoever. Of course having it located in a park with a multitude of other attractions certainly helps.

Monorail Mike

The fastpass kiosk in the morning is going to be like the good old days.

LOL. Why don't we go ahead and make park admission FP as well? Maybe you get, maybe you don't. We will just have to wait and see.

I was just thinking that! Why wait in line twice? They could just tell you at the entrance: "Sorry, all the rides are full for today. Why don't you get in your car and go to Universal instead? <duck>".

TheRabbit

That's like saying Disney deny people if they don't want to participate in the idea of joining the back of the line....
Yes, but that idea should still be the choice of the guest. Just ask guest relations today...there are a TON of people that don't subscribe to the whole fast pass thing and they just want to wait in the normal line. It should be up to the guest.

FutureCEO

I really don't understand why Toy Story Mania is so popular. It is a video game in a ride vehicle. They really should be more creative and come up with something new. Just saying...

Great ride/contest. I want to win every time I go.

Nothing else in the park especially for families to go on.

Take my grandparents for example....they love Disney but at MGM, there is nothing for them to do. AT the MK and Epcot....there is more.

GrumpyFan

Well, lets not quibble. But...in reality, Disney does what they want legally or not. And if you read the park rules at the bottom under 'Company Rights', there is nothing pertaining to rides. Everything pertains to the whole park. Read it, you'll see. Anyway, I just feel there are other ways they can do this without forcing you to do the fast pass thing. Let's agree to disagree, shall we. :)

You've got me curious now, what do they do that's "illegal"?

You're right, they could do this another way, and they may do so, but for now it's a "test", but they're not forcing anything on you, they're offering you another way.

Also, can anyone confirm that they are shutting out DAS users as well - that seems highly unlikely.

DAS users are able to schedule fastpass+ in addition to their DAS. If a ride does not have a standby queue operating, Disney wouldn't be obligated to make additional arrangements for people using DAS as they are denying ALL park guests access. If someone had a fp+ and an additional mobility issue/DAS issue, I'm sure they are accommodating the disability in whatever way they normally would.

Monorail Mike

I really don't understand why Toy Story Mania is so popular. It is a video game in a ride vehicle. They really should be more creative and come up with something new. Just saying...

It's really popular because it EXACTLY follows Walt's philosophy for experiences where adults and children can have fun together. RNR and TOT, not so much. What else is left in that park?

VulcanCafe

So your saying if someone pays to get in the park, Disney can say, 'only people with red shirts on can ride'. ? Your nuts! This isn't DISCOMFORT, this is denying people if they don't want to participate in the fast pass idea.
Here's the thing, the Disney experience has changed over time. From ride 'tickets' to FastPass+. FastPass+ is now part of the Disney experience, for good or bad.

TheRabbit

You're right, they could do this another way, and they may do so, but for now it's a "test", but they're not forcing anything on you, they're offering you another way.
Let me just say, read the book, 'Disney, The Mouse Betrayed'. And yes, your right, they are offering guests another way with fast pass +....just not this week.

lokisix

Yes, but that idea should still be the choice of the guest. Just ask guest relations today...there are a TON of people that don't subscribe to the whole fast pass thing and they just want to wait in the normal line. It should be up to the guest.

That's an opinion I don't entirely disagree with. But I think it's worth Disney testing it. No one enjoys queueing for any length of time and if there's a chance that Disney can reduce the vast majority of waiting it's worth trying for a week.

Goofyernmost

Tell that to the guests that paid full price admission for their "once in a lifetime" magical vacation.

Let's see... the resort wants people to micromanage and preplan their vacation to the nth degree, then decides to take away people's ability to get access to an attraction on the spur of the moment. Sounds like the TDO we've come to expect.

As someone with a disabled wife, I would love to see what's going on at guest relations with this. Should be a hoot and a feel very sorry for anyone working there today.
There never has been any guarantee that you can ride a specific ride on any given day. If it were broken down you wouldn't ride it. If it had an all day capacity of 10,000 people and 12,000 people showed up, 2000 of them would not ride it. It's nothing more then a ride on video game, it will be there the next time you visit. Besides that if they are trying to see if they can regulate the times that people can ride it they will have to issue more FP's for that purpose. You stand just as much of a chance with or without it.

They are not going to restrict DAS passage but it is mentioned because it isn't the standard FP or Standby procedure. They are not denied access it's just that they don't need the same FP+ that non-DAS people need.

Last edited:

Thumper14

And like all of the guest surveys, I'm sure the FP+ version of Guest Services will be stacked with loaded questions just like the MM+ surveys have been:

"On a scale of 1-10, how satisfied were you with TSMM being exclusive to FP+?"
"1 - extremely satisfied or 10 - so satisfied that I'd purchase 2000 more DVC points to do it again"

Meanwhile, TSMM in Disney California Adventure continues to function with NO FastPass whatsoever. Of course having it located in a park with a multitude of other attractions certainly helps.

Somehow the standby line for TSMM at CA is not that bad even at 40+ minutes, maybe it is because I love that park. Or the weather? RSR has the massive wait times, but that ride is AWESOME and worth it. It has both legacy FP and single rider lines. The most coveted piece of paper in DLR is a RSR FP. I once waited an hour in the FP line to get one, 'til I wised up and went single rider.

Captain Chaos

Maybe I am misunderstanding you here. How are they offering you another way? Prior to this test, you as a guest had a choice of waiting on Stand By or getting a Fast Pass. During this test, they are taking an option away from guests (stand by), thus making only 1 option available (FP). They are in deed forcing guests to use FP or not ride. They aren't offering them another way. If they decided to test a third option, then yes they are offering another way. But they are removing an option, forcing guests to use FP, or you are SOL.

JediMasterMatt

I really don't understand why Toy Story Mania is so popular...

By popular, you mean have a long line and lots of discussion about it?

It's because of the following:
- It's one of only 4 actual rides at DHS (ToT, RnRC, & Star Tours being the other)
- It's a ride with only mediocre hourly capacity (for a Disney attraction) at ~1200 pph
- It's "new"
- It's fun to play
- It's based on a popular IP

Personally, I agree with you in that it's not the greatest attraction. It is just playing a big video game and I'd rather ride AstroBlaster (Disneyland's especially) than this.

But, the large lines and huge talking points are a direct byproduct of DEMAND far exceeding supply. Just like Soarin' in EPCOT. If there was more to do (especially if it was of quality), the "popularity" would go down.

Of course, you could take TDO's approach - just put in another track. Additional track brought to you from the people with one track minds.

TheRabbit

Maybe I am misunderstanding you here. How are they offering you another way? Prior to this test, you as a guest had a choice of waiting on Stand By or getting a Fast Pass. During this test, they are taking an option away from guests (stand by), thus making only 1 option available (FP). They are in deed forcing guests to use FP or not ride. They aren't offering them another way. If they decided to test a third option, then yes they are offering another way. But they are removing an option, forcing guests to use FP, or you are SOL.
He meant fast pass as being the other way they are offering you aside from standby. He was refering to in general, not this week.

misterID

Because it's basically the only kid/family friendly ride in the park, not to mention it has a popular IP. When more attractions open the lines will mellow out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom