FP+ only Toy Story Midway Mania

Monorail Mike

I'm sure the goal of this test isn't to ruin the once-in-a-lifetime vacations of paying customers.
But it does raise an interesting question: What are they trying to find out this week?

To see how many people actually show up for their FP+ reservations?

Or something else?

RSoxNo1

I can only guess they need to test this because if they are really expanding the attraction as speculated on here, the queue will probably be relocated and be shut down for a period of time. Testing it on a slow week I assume too to see how the process will work.
I guess that makes some sense, but it still seems doubtful. No new attraction has a 4 day test to determine how guests will queue up for it.

TheRabbit

Oi - you just took this thread down a slippery slope. Now the moderators will have to start deleting things.
No, no slippery slope here. It's very clear. If you go into the park this week with a regular paid ticket, you can't ride Toy Story unless you get on the fast pass bandwagon. It's also a possible sign to come for all rides in all parks. Trust me when I say there is a lot more behind magic bands and fast pass + than what they told us.

RSoxNo1

I'm sure the goal of this test isn't to ruin the once-in-a-lifetime vacations of paying customers.
But it does raise an interesting question: What are they trying to find out this week?

To see how many people actually show up for their FP+ reservations?

Or something else?
Again, when Fastpass+ is the only option, this test won't conclusively show that. It also won't show demand when Standby isn't an option. Same day, people will look at the standby line and then decide whether or not they want to wait, or come back in a few hours for a Fastpass+. None of these decisions/options can be tested by shutting off Standby. The only thing this can test is can these two lines handle what will soon be 67% of the attraction's capacity without significant backups. I don't see how this is necessary unless the hour to hour capacity #s for the ride fluctuate wildly.

MattC

Awesome! Just in time for our trip this week!

I guess I'll be hitting up MDE first thing in the morning for a FP.

GrumpyFan

For the record, park admission does not grant you the right nor the privilege to ride any and all rides and attractions. The park operator (Disney in this case), has the right to refuse to let you guests ride or participate for any reason whatsoever. They also have the right to change how you guests participate, ride or wait for the attraction.

This is just a little test of some of their new technology at a time when crowds are low. If you're in the park, you might experience a slight bit of discomfort due to scheduling and the testing.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

GrumpyFan

Again, when Fastpass+ is the only option, this test won't conclusively show that. It also won't show demand when Standby isn't an option. Same day, people will look at the standby line and then decide whether or not they want to wait, or come back in a few hours for a Fastpass+. None of these decisions/options can be tested by shutting off Standby. The only thing this can test is can these two lines handle what will soon be 67% of the attraction's capacity without significant backups. I don't see how this is necessary unless the hour to hour capacity #s for the ride fluctuate wildly.

This test reminds me of the one they did a few years ago with Rock N' Rollercoaster, and they made everyone wait in groups, then paged them when their time was available. I'm guessing this is kind of an extension of that.

asianway

This screams of an unnecessary way to support the 3 track approach. That's already happening, so I'm not sure the benefit of this test. It's not going to show them throughput issues because you're not going to get a bunch of people to wait in a fictitious standby line and not ride. I really don't understand the objective behind this test.

Also, can anyone confirm that they are shutting out DAS users as well - that seems highly unlikely.
I don't see why DAS would be treated differently than standby. SOL+ rears it's head again

MattC

For the record, park admission does not grant you the right nor the privilege to ride any and all rides and attractions. The park operator (Disney in this case), has the right to refuse to let you ride or participate for any reason whatsoever. They also have the right to change how you participate, ride or wait for the attraction.

This is just a little test of some of their new technology at a time when crowds are low. If you're in the park, you might experience a slight bit of discomfort due to scheduling and the testing.

Yeah, I know. I get what you're saying. It is still frustrating though. But don't worry, I will not be one of those in the Guest Services line complaining.

TheRabbit

For the record, park admission does not grant you the right nor the privilege to ride any and all rides and attractions. The park operator (Disney in this case), has the right to refuse to let you ride or participate for any reason whatsoever. They also have the right to change how you participate, ride or wait for the attraction.

So your saying if someone pays to get in the park, Disney can say, 'only people with red shirts on can ride'. ? Your nuts! This isn't DISCOMFORT, this is denying people if they don't want to participate in the fast pass idea.

dreamfinder

This test reminds me of the one they did a few years ago with Rock N' Rollercoaster, and they made everyone wait in groups, then paged them when their time was available. I'm guessing this is kind of an extension of that.

Except wasn't the RnRC test more for data gathering for the new Dumbo queue system than anything else? RnRC just worked well as they had a natural area to keep guests contained in while waiting and could block access back at the gate.

ToTBellHop

This screams of an unnecessary way to support the 3 track approach. That's already happening, so I'm not sure the benefit of this test. It's not going to show them throughput issues because you're not going to get a bunch of people to wait in a fictitious standby line and not ride. I really don't understand the objective behind this test.

Also, can anyone confirm that they are shutting out DAS users as well - that seems highly unlikely.
If I largely sit in an office and punch numbers, sometimes it is useful to have numbers on an Excel-produced graph copied/pasted into a PowerPoint to explain my utility as an employee.

GrumpyFan

So your saying if someone pays to get in the park, Disney can say, 'only people with red shirts on can ride'. ? Your nuts! This isn't DISCOMFORT, this is denying people if they don't want to participate in the fast pass idea.

Sure, go ahead and twist my words into an extreme version of whatever you want them to say. That's fine! But, in reality, yes, they could do this, but I would hope you know that they wouldn't because it just wouldn't be right and would cause a lot of complaints, not to mention pxxxing people off. For this week, though, while they're testing this, they've said this is how you get to ride. Speaking to your way of thinking here, essentially, they have said you must wear a red shirt and schedule a time to ride, but we're giving you the red shirt and providing you with lots of times to choose from. The choice is yours.

Disney is in the business of providing entertainment to people, and by doing so they want to make money as well. But, they only have a limited number of attractions and can only accommodate a certain number of guests per day on each attraction. So, to rectify this, they're looking at new and creative ways to do this. I know they're different, and yes, I agree, I don't necessarily like them all, but I will try and be patient and wait to see how this all works.

lokisix

That's like saying Disney deny people if they don't want to participate in the idea of joining the back of the line....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom