FP+ only Toy Story Midway Mania

BrianV

So we are basically 25% of the way through a 4 day test of one attraction in one theme park. So far I have been told in this thread that this is the premiere attraction at DHS, that it's the worst, that Disney is apparently full of evil managers who want to ruin your vacation, that Disney is going to make every attraction FP+ only, and so on and so on.

So here's what we know. There's one attraction undergoing a test for 4 days to examine some aspects of how best to incorporate a third track into the attraction. That's it.

The best rumor I have heard about this is that it's part of a larger test for the third theater for Soarin'. Basically evaluating best practices on a smaller scale.

Don't get me wrong, I think that FP+ is the worst ever. I have friends at WDW now and they say trying to get FP for anything is a total hassle. I personally don't have any experience with it at this point.

I think the real crux of this matter is that TDO should have been MUCH more forthcoming about the test, and communicated it well in advance. Then arriving guests have time to react. But given the penchant they have for not revealing anything about future attractions and such, I am sure they wanted to keep this as quiet as possible. Big PR mistake in my opinion.

I think TDO is in the process of getting a LOT of things wrong at the moment. But this test phase is short and necessary in order to get real time data. I have seen posts to the effect that they have plenty of FP data to go by. Unfortunately, nothing can replace running real time operations to see what variables exist. For example I have seen some comments regarding the sending of empty ride vehicles through. That's part of the evaluation of this and I am sure a huge concern regarding a move to a FP only line. It's not an optimal solution for anyone to restrict a ride, especially for a guest who doesn't book a FP ahead of time for this. But in the long term, taking 4 days to help improve, or enhance, the guest experience for years is something I consider acceptable. Do I think that moving to this queing model is the best choice? No. But I am speaking strictly to the necessity of this testing needing to occur. The results of this test may or may not validate the idea. It may end up showing that moving to a FP only / segregated Standby line is in fact impractical.

Agree totally with your post. They should be forthcoming with what they are doing so people can plan around it. Why they are doing it, however, I do not need to know. I think all FP+ would be a poor way to handle TSMM ride. But if they'd announced that it would be down to all but fast pass a month in advance, I'd have been ok with the test.

I read here daily that people are so sick of the system, they are going to stop going. I endorse this as a way to vote with your feet and your wallet. Most people however, still enjoy disney. They go and hopefully go with the flow. First time visitor/ friends of ours just came back and had a wonderful time. They stayed off site, used some fast pass, saw some rides, missed some rides, enjoyed the princesses, etc. When they returned, they said how much fun it was, NOT how complicated it was. Things change, and people who know nothing of the old system have no issues. Those who knew and mastered the old system have the hardest time. I suspect that is most people who bother writing into a wdw blog.

jakeman

Cant they just see 'actual returns' via the computer system? If I book a FP+ online and do not use it I would think the system would be able to see that. Also, when I scan my magic band at the entrance of TSMM, cant they track how long it is until I actually get on the ride?
Probably but not with just Fastpass only. You have to remove the Standby variability completely.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
So, to rectify this, they're looking at new and creative ways to do this. I know they're different, and yes, I agree, I don't necessarily like them all, but I will try and be patient and wait to see how this all works.
Not being argumentative, but this is what so many people have been saying for the last 18 months since FP+ started testing. These current tests all stem from MM+/FP+/NGE. We are approaching almost TWO YEARS of testing so I think its fair to say that its been a long enough time of "wait and see how it woks out". Its working out horribly and absolutely nothing has improved. Wait times are no better, obtaining FP+ for certain attractions is not much easier, getting ADR's is no more easier, the kiosk system is no more efficient or time saving than legacy FP, You still have to be at rope for certain attractions, ticket prices have risen, and for each problem with MM+ that they correct, two new problems pop up in its place.

They could have built a few D tickets and restaurants in this amount of time and we would actually be seeing less stress on the parks, and it would have cost a heck of a lot less than all they have spent to come full circle and get nowhere.

Dukeblue1227

I'm 30, been to Disney world 19 times (I'm from the northeast so I'm talking 19 planned vacations down, this is nothing to many and even less to local visitors)... Longest I've ever gone is probably 3 years without going.

I haven't been since 2011 and honestly I have zero interest in going back as every year it's this same BS to ruin the experience. I just genuinely do not want to have to plan out my every friggin move six months in advance and not even be able to go on rides unless I've preplanned two trimesters ahead of schedule...

I wish Disney cared about its loyal fans...

I wish they'd stop fixing what isn't broken, and start fixing what is.

RayTheFirefly

Looks like Disney's about to get some bad press for this.

Article about it here.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Probably but not with just Fastpass only. You have to remove the Standby variability completely.
But thats what I dont understand. FP+ is supposedly far superior to legacy FP so why all of the sudden is legacy back in the picture? Im not trying to be a smart , just trying to understand all this mess.

jakeman

But thats what I dont understand. FP+ is supposedly far superior to legacy FP so why all of the sudden is legacy back in the picture? Im not trying to be a smart , just trying to understand all this mess.
My comment was only in reference to this test...not the larger picture.

No worries no smart assiness taken! :D

Graham9

We were at the 'World in December. That was our first and only taste of FP+. Maybe something has improved with it since then, but at the time, I kept thinking 'why'?

Our impression was of it was

It's buggy and unreliable. (It took most of our time before they worked properly)
It gives things they don't want, such as unwanted FP's to things we didn't ask for
It doesn't give things we do want (easy of use, the right FP's and flexibility)
It does nothing that the old 'keys to the kingdom' cards didn't do - at least that worked.
It forces people to plan ahead and to set times, denying them to wander about to rides and to adlib their time
It forces people into using technology they may not want -or even able- to use (I come to WDW to get away from PC's)
It tries to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place (What was wrong with the old system?)
Attractions now have FP+ lines where there was none before - even where there is no need for them

And now, it looks like attractions are being FP+ only, forcing this system down people's throats.

:banghead:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
We were at the 'World in December. That was our first and only taste of FP+. Maybe something has improved with it since then, but at the time, I kept thinking 'why'?

Our impression was of it was

It's buggy and unreliable. (It took most of our time before they worked properly)
It gives things they don't want, such as unwanted FP's to things we didn't ask for
It doesn't give things we do want (easy of use, the right FP's and flexibility)
It does nothing that the old 'keys to the kingdom' cards didn't do - at least that worked.
It forces people to plan ahead and to set times, denying them to wander about to rides and to adlib their time
It forces people into using technology they may not want -or even able- to use (I come to WDW to get away from PC's)
It tries to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place (What was wrong with the old system?)
Attractions now have FP+ lines where there was none before - even where there is no need for them

And now, it looks like attractions are being FP+ only, forcing this system down people's throats.

:banghead:
B-b-but, there's like 18 people who claim the system worked "flawlessly" for them so this is all worth it. You must disregard the thousands of guests who have had problems. The Majestic 18 have spoken, and they say it's great!

RSoxNo1

Heres what I dont get and pardon me if its been mentioned. If they are doing all these FP+ only tests to get an idea of how many guests are going through each hour or day and/or to maximize turnstyle clicks, then why dont they refer to all the data they have accumulated during the last 10 months+ of FP+ being operational? Did they not collect any data during all this time? How is what theyre doing now going to give them any more input than they already have?

They spent so much money to create a data collection system that seems to NOT collect the correct type of information.
The data definitely exists.

CDavid

Looks like Disney's about to get some bad press for this.

Article about it here.

From the article:

What makes this four-day test potentially big news is that it could be a vision of how theme parks will operate on a broader scale in the future.

Love it or hate it, the shift to more reservations and less waiting in line seems like the way things are heading. “Everybody’s striving to improve the flow of the guest. That’s the wave of the future in our industry,” Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services, explained to the Orlando Sentinel. “It would not surprise me within the next 10 years that we see rides that are totally reserved.”

I'm just sort of shaking my head, wondering what these people are thinking.

So much for the theory, put forth by some posters here, that fears over rides restricted to FP+ only is just paranoia.

BrerJon

Not being argumentative, but this is what so many people have been saying for the last 18 months since FP+ started testing. These current tests all stem from MM+/FP+/NGE. We are approaching almost TWO YEARS of testing so I think its fair to say that its been a long enough time of "wait and see how it woks out". Its working out horribly and absolutely nothing has improved. Wait times are no better, obtaining FP+ for certain attractions is not much easier, getting ADR's is no more easier, the kiosk system is no more efficient or time saving than legacy FP, You still have to be at rope for certain attractions, ticket prices have risen, and for each problem with MM+ that they correct, two new problems pop up in its place.

Funny, I said all this a few days ago back after coming back from WDW and witnessing how irate MyMagic was making guests and the general feeling of it being a shambles, but I was heavily berated by posters on here and told that what I saw was an aberration, most guests love the new system and it's working out great.

It's good to hear I'm not alone in my experience, and others have found more problems with the new system than benefits too.

muteki

Quick question. How many of the people complaining about this 4 day test are actually being affected by it?
In the grand scheme of things, the people that read/post in this thread, or this forum as a whole even, are nowhere near representative enough of the DHS guest population for it to matter if they have posted here or not.

I mean, for just about everyone that reads this forum it is so blatantly obvious that if you head to DHS with the intention of riding TSMM then you must have a FP, even on a regular day. To many people that actually walk through the gates and don't do their research (a good chunk of them I believe) they are completely locked out. Which to the unknowing guest is much worse than having to wait in a really long line.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Right so, not wanting to get in the middle of this - but this is not cooking the books. Occupancy rates aren't a legal accounting amount - as long as they aren't overstating revenue, they can tell you they have 100% of rooms full and you can't stay there.

Is it good business? Nope. But it's not illegal.

Agree, And 'cooking the books' statistically is legal yet highly unethical.

There are LOTS of things which are legal yet unethical, The problem lies in when you have been operating in unethical mode for a long while it's really easy to segue into the Illegal realm, ENRON and AIG are two of the most recent examples of the slide from unethical to illegal.

It starts with the thought 'We are the smartest guys in the room, They'll never catch us...'

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom