FP+ meltdown part x

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My parents, who have never used FP+ or use technology on a regular basis, were at WDW last week and had a seamless experience with the system. I think the system can be overwhelming, but it folks take the time to read up on it, it is pretty self explanatory (granted there isn't a failure ;))

Here's the problem with FP+ When it works well it is seamless, when it fails it's ugly and there is no fixing it, I'd prefer a system which is a little less brittle.

doctornick

I'm not sure how FastPass+ would take an hour to explain.

Hey, pick times with your park tickets.

Great, now go to those rides and your assigned time.

End scene.

Agreed. Now, don't get me wrong: using FP+ can be complicated, as the website is kinda wonky. But the issues really show up if you want to very specifically manage your times. For a person who just goes on, picks 3 rides that sound cool and let's the program pick a series of times (and the automatic times do not, in my experience, conflict with meal reservations so that's not an issue) then just goes to the rides at those times, it's not complicated at all. And it's a pretty straightforward concept, as you say. Reserve ride times ahead of time; go on the rides at that time -- while that may be different than other parks, it's not difficult to understand.

Outside of signing up for an account -- which is pretty trivial for most people -- it's actually easier to execute than the old FP system. Plus, if someone has problems before their trip with FP+, they can ask a knowledgeable friend or call Disney and resolve it before being in the midst of their trip. I would think it's far more stressful to be in the parks and then trying to remember the strategy for (or learn how how to use) the paper FP system (which is why many guests just never used it).

AndyS2992

What happened today is why I strongly feel Fast Pass Plus and Next Gen going to Disneyland Paris is a bad idea.

I am mentioning Disneyland Paris because according to a blog called Disney and More, Disney wants NextGen first launch to be in 2017.That means the Walt Disney Company want Disneyland Paris to spend their bailout money on NextGen instead of fixing the 2 parks by doing stuff like getting a Star Tours E ticket that isn't Star Tours 2.0 as an example:banghead:.

I know there is still time before 2017, but highly doubt the glitch problems will be gone by then. The even bigger issue is the amount of cash is need to fix these glitches.
Disneyland Paris can barely afford to operate on a basic daily basis so I honestly can't see it happening for a very long time, if ever. Disneyland California is the likeliest resort to get it next, which is unfortunate.

GiveMeTheMusic

This board goes from "The parks are too dumbed down!!!" to "WAHH THIS IS TOO HARD TO UNDERSTAND" with the change of the breeze.

Being too hard for some tourists to grasp is an issue, how?

Now this is some BS.

When someone complains about the parks being dumbed down, they're referring to the intricate design principles that Disney theme parks were built with, not ride reservation systems. You know very well that they're talking about something completely different than a complicated digital ride reservation system that the average guest doesn't have a clue about.

FP+ works really well for people like us who know what's up. For everyone else?

Buy your tickets before you get there.
Why?
So you can link them to your MyDisneyExperience account.
What's that?
It's how Disney lets you reserve FastPass+.
What's FastPass+?
It's a way to reserve rides, shows, meals and character greets in advance.
Cool. How much does it cost?
It's free.
How does it work?
Well you get three FP+ reservations per day, but if you get through them all, you can then schedule a rolling extra FP+ for the rest of the day, one at a time.
On my phone?
No, you can only do the first 3 on your phone. The others have to done at a kiosk.
What if I don't set this up before I go?
Then you have to go to a kiosk when you arrive to create your account and make FP+ reservations.

Real life quote from college graduate and gainfully employed 26 year old I spoke with last night:

"Why is this so complicated?"

For a newb, this can go on for quite some time until they understand. Once they do, it's fine. It's the education part that is vexing - it's not good service, and it's not guest-friendly. You know how Apple strives to be intuitive - you just pick up the device and get to work? Disney doesn't strive for that. There's nothing intuitive or natural about FP+. It doesn't level the playing field, it gives an unfair advantage to people who know how to game it (just like old FP).

And the end result is a lot of people using their magical FP+ entitlements on stuff like Captain EO, Jungle Cruise, Meet Mickey and the Seas with Nemo and Friends. How does that help the guest? It doesn't.

Not a lick of MM+ was conceptualized with the guest experience (or cast experience for that matter) in mind. It was cooked up by park-loathing execs like Rasulo who never visit without a plaid and would never step foot in a park if their salary didn't depend on it.

All park experiences should be designed with the guest in mind. This isn't fanboi tears, it's just good business practice. Happy guests = returning guests = lifelong profit stream. It's basic, basic, basic.

doctornick

Why should anyone have to read up on anything when they go on vacation?

Why would anyone go on vacation and not read up on it before hand? It boggles my mind that people wold actually do that.

Besides which, nothing is stopping anyone from just showing up and experiencing. Sure, you won't be able to do as much, but that's always been the case. It's not like they won't let you in the gates if you don't have a MM+ account set up.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Agreed. Now, don't get me wrong: using FP+ can be complicated, as the website is kinda wonky. But the issues really show up if you want to very specifically manage your times. For a person who just goes on, picks 3 rides that sound cool and let's the program pick a series of times (and the automatic times do not, in my experience, conflict with meal reservations so that's not an issue) then just goes to the rides at those times, it's not complicated at all. And it's a pretty straightforward concept, as you say. Reserve ride times ahead of time; go on the rides at that time -- while that may be different than other parks, it's not difficult to understand.

Outside of signing up for an account -- which is pretty trivial for most people -- it's actually easier to execute than the old FP system. Plus, if someone has problems before their trip with FP+, they can ask a knowledgeable friend or call Disney and resolve it before being in the midst of their trip. I would think it's far more stressful to be in the parks and then trying to remember the strategy for (or learn how how to use) the paper FP system (which is why many guests just never used it).

Erm, No - Last year we had huge issues with FP which required me to spend hours each day at GR fixing FP+ issues. And I still have issues because the FP+ system does not really know how to deal with ticket media good at WDW and DL (Premier Passport).

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Why would anyone go on vacation and not read up on it before hand? It boggles my mind that people wold actually do that.

Besides which, nothing is stopping anyone from just showing up and experiencing. Sure, you won't be able to do as much, but that's always been the case. It's not like they won't let you in the gates if you don't have a MM+ account set up.

But if it does not recognize your ticket type it will keep you out.

Victor Kelly

Because vacation by definition means to get away. Instead Disney is making things more complicated. Example many people are on an electronic leashes during their regular lives at home. Now you have to be tied in like a Borg from Star Trek in order to not wait forever in a line that used to be 10 minutes long but thanks to My Mistake + it is now 60 minutes on Sunday at 9:30 in the morning.

Sure you can experience, but would you get a full experience?

doctornick

Sure you can experience, but would you get a full experience?

Of course you wouldn't. But you never would get a "full experience" at Disney if you went in cold and didn't prepare ahead of time. It's not like that is some new phenomena. And it's not unique to WDW; any vacation is going to run more smoothly and be more fruitful if you prepare ahead of time.

lnsemsf

Erm, No - Last year we had huge issues with FP which required me to spend hours each day at GR fixing FP+ issues. And I still have issues because the FP+ system does not really know how to deal with ticket media good at WDW and DL (Premier Passport).

My premier pass works flawlessly with FP+. Used it just last week to book reservations and copy them to family with non premier passes. I'm not sure why you have issues but the 2 premier passes that my friend and I use work with absolutely no problems in the Florida or California systems.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My premier pass works flawlessly with FP+. Used it just last week to book reservations and copy them to family with non premier passes. I'm not sure why you have issues but the 2 premier passes that my friend and I use work with absolutely no problems in the Florida or California systems.

ive had one for a long time it predates fp so probably is some sort of conversion artifact

hopemax

I was recently traveling with a friend who had a Premiere. After 5 phone calls to IT, they were able to copy the FP of the other person staying in her room to her, create a new MDE profile, send her a new set of MB's. Hopefully, the next time she uses it there won't be issues. Kind of think the problem is where the pass originated. My friend bought it at DL. I wonder if the people who by it at WDW have less issues. Also, had issues because her last name is hyphenated, BOG system didn't like that...

Buried20KLeague

I believe part of the issue also depends on where the premiere pass originated... Meaning did you buy it in FL or Cali. That was an absolute issue a couple years ago when I had mine.

afb28

"Why"?

" why do I need to reserve times? What if I don't want to ride it then? What if we are still having lunch? Why do these rides need it more than those rides? Why are the wait times so high? Does the pass thing mean I can only ride a few rides a day? Does it cost money? What if I wanna ride something twice? What happens if the ride breaks down? What if there's a nasty rainstorm and we stay at the hotel? What if the rain closes down the rides?"

"Why do you have to reserve time for a meet n greet, don't the characters just walk around?"

These are only HALF of the questions I've had to answer while explaining the new system to my Mom.

Her reply was, "what was wrong with the old system?"

I didn't have an answer.
If they are such "newbs" and just want to "show up and ride rides" then they can do that fairly easily by waiting in line.

BrerJon

Maybe it's bc I'm local but having the ability to schedule 3 fastpasses for tomorrow, show up, ride em, and go home without the hassle of an 80min wait time is amazing.

When did anything other than Toy Story have an 80 minute wait before Fastpass+? Other than Christmas or 4th July, standby was never more than an hour for anything and old Fastpass would do just fine if even that was too long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom