FoxNews website article on NextGen

goherdibg

I hope this doesn't work out because I could see in the next 10 years they could take it further and upon entrance you would be given one of 8 routes thru the park with specific times to experience every attraction, thus ultimately spreading the crowds out evenly throughout the whole park all day long. No Magic in that.

Hey, this could actually be a decent take on the whole idea. People are complaining (me included) about having to plan out what specific time we will be on rides - if xPass plays out like rumored.

I don't like making dinner ADR's 180 days out - which then forces me to pick what park I will be in during that evening 180 days out. Even though I do enjoy the planning process, I know I won't like making plans so detailed to include being on Space Mt at 2:05 on Sunday, October 25th - 6 months from now. Also, I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable about the parks, rides, crowds, etc. Imagine how the Disney rookie is going to react when they make a 2:05 reservation for Space Mt and have a 2:25 reservation for BTMRR (or any other ride combinations that are on different sides of a park).

However, what if Disney had touring packages you could choose from when you sign up for xPass? Packages could include the same rides in various orders or even have tiered packages (E-ticket only vs all). But here is the key part....reservation times would be realistic and be grouped by sections of the park. For example, Disney would group your times for Space Mt, Speedway, Astro Orbiter, Buzz. etc together so you won't be running from one side of the park to the other. They could also provide a window for that group - say 10:00am to 1:00pm - instead of a specific time for a specific ride. Your package would then be used in Fantasyland from 1:00pm - 4:00pm on the rides there.

You would be able to your xPass line access for each ride in that area once during the time window. Of course, you would be free to ride a ride again using the standby line.

Using this model, Disney somewhat controls the number of people in each "land" while still giving some flexibility to the customer. I know this is sort of the way I tour anyway. When I go to MK, I go left and go to Adventureland, then Frontierland and work my way clockwise around the Kingdom spending a certain amount of time in each area before moving on.

Bolna

Cheap? Disney should not associate with them? I take it you have not seen these? I'd rather have one of these than a Mickey tag. Thanks. :)

Not sure I want a Mickey tag, but I can tell you that I will never walk around WDW with a plastic wristband on my wrist as long as I can avoid it!! I do consider them cheap and tacky - however many wonderful Disney character they put on. If this is the only form they supply park tickets you will find me in Guest Services complaining loudly every day I am there - and I am normally not at all a complainer. I hated them for EMH (back when they still had them) and for MNSSHP, but I get the point there in order to identify the people with the right to stay in the park.

I normally don't bring up the wristband issue in those X-Pass discussions as I truly think that Disney will provide an opt out, but wanted to point out that considering wristbands cheap is not just one person's opinion.

Mawg

Hey, this could actually be a decent take on the whole idea. People are complaining (me included) about having to plan out what specific time we will be on rides - if xPass plays out like rumored.

I don't like making dinner ADR's 180 days out - which then forces me to pick what park I will be in during that evening 180 days out. Even though I do enjoy the planning process, I know I won't like making plans so detailed to include being on Space Mt at 2:05 on Sunday, October 25th - 6 months from now. Also, I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable about the parks, rides, crowds, etc. Imagine how the Disney rookie is going to react when they make a 2:05 reservation for Space Mt and have a 2:25 reservation for BTMRR (or any other ride combinations that are on different sides of a park).

However, what if Disney had touring packages you could choose from when you sign up for xPass? Packages could include the same rides in various orders or even have tiered packages (E-ticket only vs all). But here is the key part....reservation times would be realistic and be grouped by sections of the park. For example, Disney would group your times for Space Mt, Speedway, Astro Orbiter, Buzz. etc together so you won't be running from one side of the park to the other. They could also provide a window for that group - say 10:00am to 1:00pm - instead of a specific time for a specific ride. Your package would then be used in Fantasyland from 1:00pm - 4:00pm on the rides there.

You would be able to your xPass line access for each ride in that area once during the time window. Of course, you would be free to ride a ride again using the standby line.

Using this model, Disney somewhat controls the number of people in each "land" while still giving some flexibility to the customer. I know this is sort of the way I tour anyway. When I go to MK, I go left and go to Adventureland, then Frontierland and work my way clockwise around the Kingdom spending a certain amount of time in each area before moving on.

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking and logically it make sense for Disney to know where it's guests are expected to be, spread guests out in a logical manner and staff accordingly. And, I think some executives in the next 10 years might think we should do this because we know the best way for our guest to experience the parks. But, in the end it takes away a lot of spontaneity and I think the overall reaction from guests would be negative but it sure does make an interesting business model.

G00fyDad

Not sure I want a Mickey tag, but I can tell you that I will never walk around WDW with a plastic wristband on my wrist as long as I can avoid it!! I do consider them cheap and tacky - however many wonderful Disney character they put on. If this is the only form they supply park tickets you will find me in Guest Services complaining loudly every day I am there - and I am normally not at all a complainer. I hated them for EMH (back when they still had them) and for MNSSHP, but I get the point there in order to identify the people with the right to stay in the park.

I normally don't bring up the wristband issue in those X-Pass discussions as I truly think that Disney will provide an opt out, but wanted to point out that considering wristbands cheap is not just one person's opinion.

Disney is putting RFID into the KttW card. If you don't want a wristband, then don't get one. :) And I have had a wristband exactly like that before for RFID at other places. It is not cheap and plastic. It is more of a fake leather or vinyl. It does not in any way feel cheap. BUt like I said, I am more than 99% sure that Disney will have the option of just using your KttW card. These bracelets are probably going to have an upcharge on them anyway.

COProgressFan

Same here. I am never wearing one of those wristbands. I, too, am hoping for an opt-out, where I can just pull out my ticket or something instead.

I think the whole wristband thing is actually sort of cheap and tacky. No matter how nice they may be (leathery, plastic-y, whatever) they will always make me think of "wristband night" for unlimited rides at my local church carnival and the like. For that reason, I also don't like the wristbands used to for the hard ticket parties, as you mention. At least for the parties, however, you wear it for one night, not your entire vacation.

And won't all those magical photo memories look great when everyone in your family is wearing a Mickey wristband?! And everyone else in the background wearing one too...kind of like a cult. I just don't like the idea at all.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Same here. I am never wearing one of those wristbands. I, too, am hoping for an opt-out, where I can just pull out my ticket or something instead.

I think the whole wristband thing is actually sort of cheap and tacky. No matter how nice they may be (leathery, plastic-y, whatever) they will always make me think of "wristband night" for unlimited rides at my local church carnival and the like. For that reason, I also don't like the wristbands used to for the hard ticket parties, as you mention. At least for the parties, however, you wear it for one night, not your entire vacation.

And won't all those magical photo memories look great when everyone in your family is wearing a Mickey wristband?! And everyone else in the background wearing one too...kind of like a cult. I just don't like the idea at all.

Why not just put the wristband in your pocket and pull it out when needed. My parents put their tickets in pocket on a lanyard around their necks. I think it looks dumb, so my ticket stays in my pocket. They get convenience and give up appearance. I get appearance and give up convenience. Why would it be any different with a wristband, or a tag, or whatever else? The only difference with the wristband, so far as I can tell, is that those that want to choose convenience won't need to buy a lanyard. :shrug:

flavious27

Never said it would be just a few spots at the end of the day. Where did you get that idea? :shrug: Doing that would just be plain stupid and not worth the effort Disney is putting into this. They're likely to be spread out throught the day.

My point with only having it at a few spots at the end of the day is that it won't interfere with a large amount of guests.

And those without a free text messaging plan or even a cell phone would do what exactly?

Atleast 83% of american adults have cell phones and 73% of them send and receive text messages. I would say that the amount of disney guests with them increases.

Sorry but I dismiss this outright. This is the lamest g*****n excuse I hear about this technology. LOL :ROFLOL: Lets examine what it would take for someone to "steal your soul" with this tech shall we?

1 - They would have to stand virtually up against you while touching your wristband to a device to read it. If you cannot tell that some grown man or woman is grabbing your arm or at least touching it with a scanner then seek medical attention, quick. I can maybe, just maybe, see it happening during Christmas week when people are stacked into the parks like sardines. Which moves us to #2.

2 - That cat-like ninja that just crept up and stole your RFID information only got a alphanumeric ID. That's it. Nothing more. So, unless they have hired superhackers and have access to Disney's database, they aren't going to know you by anything other than... `18122585saf2d684d2h3h9.

3 - And if someone can walk up to you at your resort, scan your bracelet having never alerted you, then follow you to your room, then somehow open your door with the alphanumeric number, then the hell with it, I'm moving out of the country and to a small island in the pacific. This just gets too dangerous for me. :wave:

Look at how crowded it gets in the lines or in the buses, it would not be that unusual for someone to get that close to you.

They don't have to get your CC number, there isn't a need for that. But that number, 18122585saf2d684d2h3h9, is what disney needs to authorize your purchase. Someone would just need to retrieve those numbers and then send them to their partner that is putting that number on rfid chips in other bracelets. They then send mules to buy up merch and then sell it. When someone steals or gets someone's debit card number, this is what they do.

There are 25k hotel rooms in the parks, this tech when used in an unsecure method can make it easier to scam people.

Cheap? Disney should not associate with them? I take it you have not seen these? I'd rather have one of these than a Mickey tag. Thanks. :)

disney+RFID+braclet.jpg

Disney is going to make snap bracelets, oh how 80's of them.

Why not just put the wristband in your pocket and pull it out when needed. My parents put their tickets in pocket on a lanyard around their necks. I think it looks dumb, so my ticket stays in my pocket. They get convenience and give up appearance. I get appearance and give up convenience. Why would it be any different with a wristband, or a tag, or whatever else? The only difference with the wristband, so far as I can tell, is that those that want to choose convenience won't need to buy a lanyard. :shrug:

This is why I mention having something that looks like a balloon weight in the shape of mickey's head. It can have you ticket info on it along with info for m&g and photopass. It is a passive approach, guests do not need to do much to get into the parks or get photos taken or have a character greet their kid by name.

Mawg

I’m not seeing a lot of benefit to these bracelets with the RFID’s. I think I would still prefer a Key to the World Card myself. The RFID is going to be needed to get Fast Passes and use other services, maybe one master one can purchase all family members dinning with it and access the dinning plan but they won’t be able to get fast passes without all of them. So I or my wife will often be hanging on to them so that one of us can go ahead and get fastpasses while the rest wait in a line at a meet and greet or something. Do I want a pocket full of bracelets of a stack of cards?

G00fyDad

My point with only having it at a few spots at the end of the day is that it won't interfere with a large amount of guests.

That would be the biggest mistake they could make with this. :rolleyes:

Look at how crowded it gets in the lines or in the buses, it would not be that unusual for someone to get that close to you.

They don't have to get your CC number, there isn't a need for that. But that number, 18122585saf2d684d2h3h9, is what disney needs to authorize your purchase. Someone would just need to retrieve those numbers and then send them to their partner that is putting that number on rfid chips in other bracelets. They then send mules to buy up merch and then sell it. When someone steals or gets someone's debit card number, this is what they do.

There are 25k hotel rooms in the parks, this tech when used in an unsecure method can make it easier to scam people.

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL: This one had me laughing hysterically. Thanks for that one. Really. A word of advice... stop watching Law and Order. ;)

I have been in law enforcement for over 25 years and I know "what they do". I would be seriously amazed at anyone going through the hoops that it would take to do this one. Can it happen? Sure. Will it happen? Not likely. These master criminals that you reference here are more worried about getting a bigger score than the odd chance they actually get some information and can charge $500 at a time. Personally, I'd be more worried about them doing this with my bank card or credit card. Didn't know that it had RFID did you? Most people don't. Even if it doesn't say it then it still likely has RFID built in. There's far more money in my checking account than in my Disney Room Key account.

Really though, that was good. Mules..... LOL

Disney is going to make snap bracelets, oh how 80's of them.

You don't like it. So? Obviously there are tons and tons of children that are going to love this bracelet. If you think it is too stupid for you then opt out and just use your room key with the RFID in it. Oh wait, did that get stolen and given to a mule already? :animwink:

Tom

Beta Return
I have been in law enforcement for over 25 years and I know "what they do". I would be seriously amazed at anyone going through the hoops that it would take to do this one. Can it happen? Sure. Will it happen? Not likely. These master criminals that you reference here are more worried about getting a bigger score than the odd chance they actually get some information and can charge $500 at a time. Personally, I'd be more worried about them doing this with my bank card or credit card. Didn't know that it had RFID did you? Most people don't. Even if it doesn't say it then it still likely has RFID built in. There's far more money in my checking account than in my Disney Room Key account.

I was thinking the same thing. The ID number embedded on a KttW Card/RFID is only good as long as that guest in checked in.

The people who pull these jobs want big payouts in as little time as possible. They can't waste time scanning people's KttW cards, making a fake card, and then finding out at a register that the guest has already checked out...or that they didn't even have charging privileges to begin with.

Besides, criminals want cash. They don't want Disney souvenirs. Scanning someone's KttW card isn't going to give the bad guy your CC number, so all he can do is make a fake KttW card and go buy stuff.

No matter how you look at it, having this be a closed-loop system will pretty much deter anyone from making a heist out of it.

COProgressFan

I’m not seeing a lot of benefit to these bracelets with the RFID’s. I think I would still prefer a Key to the World Card myself. The RFID is going to be needed to get Fast Passes and use other services, maybe one master one can purchase all family members dinning with it and access the dinning plan but they won’t be able to get fast passes without all of them. So I or my wife will often be hanging on to them so that one of us can go ahead and get fastpasses while the rest wait in a line at a meet and greet or something. Do I want a pocket full of bracelets of a stack of cards?

Also a good point to consider regarding the bracelets. On top of that, I am not exactly sure small kids (3 year olds need a ticket to get in) can be trusted to wear/keep the bracelet on all day and not lose it.

Unplugged

I wonder how many times Walt Disney himself uttered those words... :hurl:

Probably a lot more then you think.

Stating first that I never knew Walt nor his brother, everything I've read indicates Walt wouldn't have said that at all. But the fact that he stayed in business for so many years, even during times of near bankruptcy was because Roy said it or made statements indicating that. Walt let his imagination and drive for perfection run amok, while the only thing keeping his dreams flowing into product was Roy's effort.

I could be wrong, but historical accounts from many people indicate that was the case. So did Walt say them? Doubtful. Did they need to said back in "Walt's time"? Absolutely. Facts are facts. Everything costs money and it was as tough to run a business back then as it is now. Only real differences are publicly traded verse privately held and the size of the project costs.

I'd be curious to see a tally from the Disney brothers on that one. :lol:

G00fyDad

:lol: I always enjoyed those though!

However, I do not think those are snap bracelets.

He was referring to the small, easily undone, snap on the ends of the bracelet. You are talking about "slap bracelets". Those bracelets made with curved foil that you could straighten out and then slap onto your wrist. :wave:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
He was referring to the small, easily undone, snap on the ends of the bracelet. You are talking about "slap bracelets". Those bracelets made with curved foil that you could straighten out and then slap onto your wrist. :wave:

You are so right. :wave: Snap...Slap :eek: :shrug:

The Slap Bracelet would be cool though!

flavious27

That would be the biggest mistake they could make with this. :rolleyes:

Really? I think forcing people to schedule how they want to spend 10 minutes 180 days out will be.

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL: This one had me laughing hysterically. Thanks for that one. Really. A word of advice... stop watching Law and Order. ;)

Really though, that was good. Mules..... LOL

Your meh attitude would be a reason why you don't see this as a problem. The big score is a myth that few can pull off without alot of attention or knowing the victims personally. Look at those that pull off the pizza menu scams, they are stealing hundreds to a couple of thousands of dollars. Buying a large amount of souvenirs that can be resold later on is going to attract the same people that can make just as much.

Also if you don't know about mules, I really wonder what you spent your 25 years doing if you want to use that as proof of your expertise.

You don't like it. So? Obviously there are tons and tons of children that are going to love this bracelet. If you think it is too stupid for you then opt out and just use your room key with the RFID in it. Oh wait, did that get stolen and given to a mule already? :animwink:

If there will be a rfid chip my card, i'll just keep using the card sleeve that shields the chip from being read.

G00fyDad

Really? I think forcing people to schedule how they want to spend 10 minutes 180 days out will be.

You're not going to be "forced" to do anything. :rolleyes:

Your meh attitude would be a reason why you don't see this as a problem.

It's not a "meh" attitude. I simply think that the idea that you believe you are going to be targeted by international terrorists for identity theft and have your entire life stolen is f***ing stupid. Okay, that was a little much. Let me rephrase it, I simply think that the idea that you believe you are going to be targeted by Billy "The American Hacker Genius" Bob for identity theft and have your meager $500 stolen is f***ing stupid.

The big score is a myth that few can pull off without alot of attention or knowing the victims personally. Look at those that pull off the pizza menu scams, they are stealing hundreds to a couple of thousands of dollars. Buying a large amount of souvenirs that can be resold later on is going to attract the same people that can make just as much.

Wow. Just...wow. Again, stop watching Law and Order. Really. You need to get back in touch with reality. :rolleyes:

Also if you don't know about mules, I really wonder what you spent your 25 years doing if you want to use that as proof of your expertise.

I know exactly what a mule is. LOL I never said I didn't. I just see it for what it is when used the way you did. Ludicrous. :lol:

"Okay jack. Here's what we're gonna do.... We're gonna scan thousands of Disney RFID bracelets, then we're gonna take all of those numbers back to our shady van with the tinted windows. Then we're gonna make all new bracelets with those RFID codes. That's when we're gonna spring our trap. You're gonna be our mule ( :lol: Sorry that still has me laughing) and you're gonna go back into the stores over and over and over and over and over and over.....(three hours later......) over and over and over again until you finally get a bracelet with charging privileges. And we'll do this hundreds, if not thousands of times! And Disney will never figure this out, ever. Wait.... What? What do you mean we could get straight cash a lot simpler by using our hacking skills to scan debit cards from peoples wallets? Nah, that's too easy my friend! We're absolute geniuses I tell you! (rubs hands together maniacally) Muahahahahah!"

If there will be a rfid chip my card, i'll just keep using the card sleeve that shields the chip from being read.

Yeah, everyone has one of those. They all came with our foil hats. Mines around here somewhere....... :rolleyes:

G00fyDad

You know what? Tag! I'm out. This conversation has crossed way over into stupidity. I'm a grown man with zero conspiracy theories. I am also not a paranoid delusional. I feel like I am standing in a room with a bunch of people and half are sitting down, wearing a Snuggie and a tin foil hat, and looking around for ways to line the walls with wire mesh to keep out the signals. And the other half are looking for exits to get away from the crazy people. I'm unsubscribing from this thread. Wow.

funny-animal-gifs-animal-gifs-screw-this-im-outta-here.gif

cslafferty

My kids are all grown now, so it's just DH and I when we go to WDW. I start planning MONTHS in advance, not because I feel I have to, but because I'm too excited!! But, I do feel a certain urgency to get my resort reservations made by the 6 mo. mark so that I can start making dining reservations at places like LeCellier and others before they are totally booked. And, in order to do that, I have to develop some kind of "framework" for our vacation - "If Wishes is only on this night, then we should probably plan an EPCOT dinner on THIS night . . ." kind of thing. That's not a big deal, since it's just the 2 of us, we only have a couple of "must do" restaurants, and we're pretty flexible as far as what time we eat, etc. But, I always think of what it would have been like with my 3 kids when they were little - trying to book all of those character meals 6 months ahead of time, and then when the time comes, praying that all goes according to schedule - and anyone who has traveled with young children knows the importance of being flexible, and what can happen if you're not!:eek:

Now, as far as attractions go, I may reserve times for the REALLY popular ones - Toy Story Mania comes to mind, because they always seem to run out of fast passes early in the day. Soarin' is another one. And, again, DH and I are pretty flexible, and if we get to an attraction and the line is too long, we'll move on and try another day. But, when I think of being there with young children, I couldn't begin to anticipate who will want to do what ride when to plan it out months in advance.

I guess you could put me in the category with the fans who are blinded by pixie dust - I will continue to go to WDW as often as I can because I simply love it - no matter what! And, it's easier because we aren't traveling with young children.

However, I worry that this will create a situation that is similar to dining. I'm sure when they came out with ADR's they figured that this would make it easier for walk-ups, because more people would already have their ressies, making for shorter waits for walk-ups. I'm sure they said, "Don't worry - you can still wait for a table like before if you'd rather be spontaneous and don't want to make ADR's." But, there are only a few TS restaurants that have openings for walk-ups anymore, no matter what time you get there. I don't want to get to an attraction to find that all of the times have been filled before the parks even open.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom