FoxNews website article on NextGen

flynnibus

Premium Member
Atleast 83% of american adults have cell phones and 73% of them send and receive text messages. I would say that the amount of disney guests with them increases.

Having phones and being DEPENDENT on the phones is two entirely different things.. especially when on vacation. Add to that the need to keep your phone with sufficent charge during the day... and then you say 'american adults'.. in case you haven't noticed the # of international people in WDW? Roaming isn't cheap for them either...

They don't have to get your CC number, there isn't a need for that. But that number, 18122585saf2d684d2h3h9, is what disney needs to authorize your purchase. Someone would just need to retrieve those numbers and then send them to their partner that is putting that number on rfid chips in other bracelets. They then send mules to buy up merch and then sell it. When someone steals or gets someone's debit card number, this is what they do.

And just like your CC or KTTW card.. Disney will require additional authorization for charges to protect against fraudulent charges. Even with KTTW you must sign all purchases. Thats so the company has record of your auth.. so you can't challenge the charges. There is no reason they would change that.. because just like a CC, a RFID token is just an ID assigned to you.

Any number of additional protections could be available.. from requiring PINs.. other ID... etc. People are paranoid about RFID when it won't expose any more information than other existing payment forms. Most require 'something you have, something you know' or additional collaborating ID to ensure someone just taking a number isn't enough to authorize charges.

Tom

Beta Return
And just like your CC or KTTW card.. Disney will require additional authorization for charges to protect against fraudulent charges. Even with KTTW you must sign all purchases. Thats so the company has record of your auth.. so you can't challenge the charges. There is no reason they would change that.. because just like a CC, a RFID token is just an ID assigned to you.

Any number of additional protections could be available.. from requiring PINs.. other ID... etc. People are paranoid about RFID when it won't expose any more information than other existing payment forms. Most require 'something you have, something you know' or additional collaborating ID to ensure someone just taking a number isn't enough to authorize charges.

Besides, Disney can't afford a breach of security or violation of PCI compliance. If there were even a hint of risk by linking your RFID to your CC, Disney wouldn't do it.

Pioneer Hall

Having phones and being DEPENDENT on the phones is two entirely different things.. especially when on vacation. Add to that the need to keep your phone with sufficent charge during the day... and then you say 'american adults'.. in case you haven't noticed the # of international people in WDW? Roaming isn't cheap for them either...

Actually in Disney, I believe anything under 25 dollar on KTTW or Credit Cards does not require signatures at most locations. I use my KTTW card at counter service locations when I am solo and never have to sign.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Actually in Disney, I believe anything under 25 dollar on KTTW or Credit Cards does not require signatures at most locations. I use my KTTW card at counter service locations when I am solo and never have to sign.

It's possible they've been switching to that.. that is getting very common (my info is dated there.. my last day dodge last year was only for a day :) so its been a bit since I've had a KTTW card ).

I'm surprised Disney hasn't resisted that though given the high risk of fraud in tourist markets. I don't see Disney authorizing purchases without any form of 'something you know' though. It could just be a simple PIN like a debit card uses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom