FOX Acquisition Could mean Deadpool, Rio,Night at the Museum, Independence Day, Alien, Ice Age, Titanic, Planet of the apes in parks

SteamboatJoe

You forget that any significant investment in the parks only started once Disney cash cow (ESPN) started to lose viewers. Since then the Parks division has been used to prop up margins and revenue while they try to recover the Media and launch DTC. The FOX acquisition is only for DTC. If something ends up in the parks it’s a bonus. They even wrapped Consumer Product into the same division to cover losses that look bad to Wall Street. If Disney+ does take off and becomes the main revenue stream the parks revenue won’t be as vital and there will be less investment as a result.
Boy, they'd have to REALLY screw something up for Disney+ to fail. I think it's going to be absolutely huge. Eclipsing Netflix is probably not an unrealistic goal.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The theme parks have almost zero to do with the this acquisition. This acquisition was about the studios, i.e. buying a content factory to fuel Disney+.

The only Parks consideration that's relevant is that they no longer have to pay Cameron for the Avatar license.

They won't have to pay Universal anymore for the license, but they will probably still have to pay Lightstorm and Cameron.

CaptainAmerica

Wasn't there a Titanic-themed attraction in Australia back in the day? Or did I hallucinate it...
There's one in Ireland right now, though it's more of a museum than an "attraction."

lazyboy97o

Wasn't there a Titanic-themed attraction in Australia back in the day? Or did I hallucinate it...
There's one in Ireland right now, though it's more of a museum than an "attraction."

James Cameron’s Titanic: The Experience was at the short-lived Fox Backlot Studios in Sydney.

Last edited:

Joeamc

Original Poster
Quoting because I can't 'Like' this more than once. :D Not that a little forum searching wouldn't have eliminated the need for this thread altogether...

And I'd wager that the theme parks had even less than almost zero to do with the acquisition. ;)
I can't agree. Disney+, the new streaming service that Disney will be rolling out this year is going to rely heavily on the FOX properties. That's one of the reasons for the fox acquisition . Disney has always used and relied heavily on the parks to push their other media businesses. Therefore its my option and I think that I am correct in saying you will see SOME Fox properties at the parks. Now which ones, That is my question. It may very well be not the ones I mentioned but there will be some used. Guaranteed..

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I can't agree. Disney+, the new streaming service that Disney will be rolling out this year is going to rely heavily on the FOX properties. That's one of the reasons for the fox acquisition . Disney has always used and relied heavily on the parks to push their other media businesses. Therefore its my option and I think that I am correct in saying you will see SOME Fox properties at the parks. Now which ones, That is my question. It may very well be not the ones I mentioned but there will be some used. Guaranteed..

You guarantee it? :hilarious:

Quoting for posterity.

About Titanic I known the International rights are owned by Fox of course, but isn't the Domestic North American rights owned by Paramount, and would that be a problem?

CaptainAmerica

Disney+, the new streaming service that Disney will be rolling out this year is going to rely heavily on the FOX properties.
Sigh.

No.

The only Fox properties that will be in Disney+ are Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope and National Geographic. Disney+ will have five "brands": Disney, Pixar, LucasFilm, Marvel, and National Geographic.

The rest of Fox will have implications for Hulu, with FX being Disney's new engine to compete in "prestige" TV against HBO, Netflix, etc.

To be clear, Disney will be using studios and talent from the Fox acquisition to produce content for Disney+, but it'll be Disney-branded content, not old crappy Fox content.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom