Fourth Disneyland Hotel Officially Cancelled

Darkbeer1

Hearing and appreciating the desire to have a screening area large enough/long enough to be able to monitor guests' behavior before they get to the checkpoint. That property is probably 600 feet long though; Would a single security checkpoint serving select harbor hotel guests with a 600 foot approach for such screening not be adequate? I honestly am opening this question up because I think it is; it beats what they have on most of the property. I don't think the grand californian guests have such a lengthy approach for their park access. Heck, their east esplanade harbor checkpoints now barely have that length of an approach, they're just more crowded.

Why do you think they have a checkpoint at Disneyland Drive to prevent non-GCH guests to enter GCH property? They know the guests using the special GCH entrances (DtD and DCA) have been pre-screened in having to be guests of the property, and not just members of the General Public.

And the point of the Eastern Gateway is to eliminate the current checkpoint.

If you look at the current Parking Tram set-up, and the new Cleo ones, the lines to enter the security checks are outdoors, to allow folks to be observed and pre-screened.

I can't get into too much detail, since it can damage some security measures. But some info, like Cameras, the Police and Security folks WANT known. That helps to deter problems.

APD (Anaheim Police Department) has lots of cameras in and around town, including our public parks, and wants it known. They ARE watching, think twice before you do something dumb.

nevol

Once again, The CITY of Anaheim has goals, along with the OCTA (the main transportation agency in charge of road and freeways in the area, along with the Bus System as a secondary function.) These include reducing Pedestrian Traffic on Harbor for safety reasons.

The goal is to move them off Harbor to alternative options. So that is a combination of things.

When the original Eastern Gateway plans were drawn up, Disney sat down with city staff, and OCTA to discuss how Disney should draw up their plans to match up with the public streets and other related items. Prior to officially submitting them.

It is the city really trying to clean up the traffic, not Disney.

If they want people off Harbor, and there is pedestrian access built into this eastern gateway project as is, then having two paths into the security checkpoints instead of one from harbor wouldn't increase traffic, but reduce it. The more penetrable the better. If you are cleaning a sink, the wider/clearer the opening, the more quickly it will drain.

It sounds like you're saying that Disney and the City are fine with the eastern gateway layout the way it is; where does that leave the harbor businesses? Are we to expect only aesthetic modifications to the design before it is approved, and for the concerns of those businesses (access) to be ignored? I wouldn't mind that; simply asking the question.

Darkbeer1

The current city council wants to deny Disney with any chance they could.

They totally replaced the folks in charge of the Planning Commission. So when a few businesses complained, gave them the excuse to deny it.

With changes to the council coming, those few complaints can be dealt with in an even hand, such as opening up access to the backs of their property, and for the IHOP and Denny's, well, sorry, nothing is guaranteed.

TeriofTerror

Last spring the neighbor lady said to keep an eye on GardenWalk, because the TDA executive suite certainly is. I'm pretty sure I mentioned that comment six months ago or so after a particularly fruitful cocktail hour here in Villa Park. ;)

As for your point about the Master Plan, I couldn't agree more. So many folks today don't realize that 25 years ago Disney was pumping out giant master plan concepts for the entire Anaheim Resort, and the property they owned was maxed out to great effect. You haven't seen a master plan like that since the late 1990's when the dim and depressing Paul Pressler era took hold. Pressler is gone, but the same small minded and visionless leaders apparently still exist in TDA in the 2010's.

Grand Master Plans from the 1990's like this just don't exist any more, because Burbank apparently doesn't think Disneyland will be around in 10 or 20 years.

westcot2_modeloverview.jpg
"Fruitful cocktail" - That one deserves all the upvotes that can be given!

TP2000

With changes to the council coming, those few complaints can be dealt with in an even hand, such as opening up access to the backs of their property, and for the IHOP and Denny's, well, sorry, nothing is guaranteed.

Oh, please. The owners of that International House of Pancakes and that Denny's owe everyone in Anaheim an apology just for being there. They are dumpy old buildings, with gross food and iffy service, and every booth has saggy seats and sticky tables. Why would anyone at Anaheim City Hall care what the owners of trashy dumps like this think when they've got Disneyland USA right across the street?!?

ihop-anaheim-ca.jpg

International House of Pancakes = 2.5 Stars on Yelp. https://www.yelp.com/biz/ihop-anaheim-3?osq=ihop
Denny's = 2.5 Stars on Yelp. https://www.yelp.com/biz/ihop-anaheim-3?osq=ihop
Captain Kidd's Buffet = 1.5 Stars on Yelp, which makes the others seem like Michelin rated bistros in comparison. https://www.yelp.com/biz/captain-kidds-family-restaurant-anaheim

And these are the businesses that Anaheim City Hall is kissing the backside of while they give the finger to Disneyland??? o_O

If I were the King of Anaheim, where I would have a tasteful yet prominently bejeweled crown, I would use eminent domain laws to buy out those properties and tear those greasy trash heaps down just to improve the quality of life for anyone who might be tempted to go in there for a $15 meal. And yes, I have had a double Manhattan tonight! :cool:

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Why do you think they have a checkpoint at Disneyland Drive to prevent non-GCH guests to enter GCH property? They know the guests using the special GCH entrances (DtD and DCA) have been pre-screened in having to be guests of the property, and not just members of the General Public.

Having just stayed across the street at PP, I wish they'd modify the policy to include other on-site guests of the Disneyland Resort. They only have three hotels, and it was frustrating to have to take the long way around to get to the parks.

Or bring back the old PP exclusive entrance into DCA.

I'd be for the Eastern Gateway if it looked like they had put just a modicum of thought into the transportation system for the parks, hotels, and garages. The current Eastern Gateway plan means I get the pleasure of paying $20 or so for parking and then walking a half mile to the park entrances. No tram, no people mover, nothing? I get that the walk is already long from places like Paradise Pier but that's why we don't bother staying there with four kids who are usually tired when we finally leave the park.

Now we're stuck with a monorail that is about useless in terms of transportation and basically nothing else except for the tram to Mickey and Friends. It's time to think about real transportation solutions for the park, maybe time to say goodbye to the monorail so that more practical solutions can be found.

beachlover4444

That would just make too much sense.
I completely agree I would love that. I really only go to disney springs in WDW for the goofy candy store to get my rice krispy treats hand made and world of disney. I dont fly or drive to florida to shop at places that I can find in just about any mall. Disney Springs is being geared toward foreign tourists who leave property to go shopping to take stuff home. The Best Buy near WDW is the busiest of all of their stores. I used to love back when it was geared to Disney fans, not just shopping fans.

freebird72

Let's hope imagineering figures out something cool to do with the available spaces...I would still love to see some of the concepts from Disney Springs make their way out here...Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar in combo with a better themed dining experience using the Rainforest building would be a nice start. I wonder if Starbucks makes it's way back in to the old spot as well.
This writer appears to agree with you: https://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/16/the-solution-for-downtown-disney-more-bars/

TP2000

And get rid of Tiffy's while we are at it. For the sake of the tourists contracting E. coli.

tiffy-s.jpg

Tiffy's, 2.5 Stars on Yelp! https://www.yelp.com/biz/tiffys-family-restaurant-anaheim

But again, let's have Anaheim City Hall politicians openly rail against the evil Disneyland instead.

"It's as if somehow we should feel fortunate that Walt Disney chose Anaheim" - Dr. Jose Moreno, Anaheim City Councilman District #3

RollerCoaster

Down in Garden Grove, Disney should build a large highly themed water park surrounded by 3 resorts (1 value. 1 moderate/family suites, 1 DVC). On the 4th side a small dining/entertainment area over looking the water park.

Hotels surrounding a Disney park that will only be open about 3-4 months of the year. Yeah...great idea.

Darkbeer1

Hotels surrounding a Disney park that will only be open about 3-4 months of the year. Yeah...great idea.

Many Water Parks are open 12 months a year, in fact a company specializes in it. Great Wolf Lodge.

Heck, American Coaster Enthusiasts held their Annual CoasterCon Banquet at its Williamsburg, VA location this year. And they have a successful location in Garden grove.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I think you have that backwards, if its an outdoor water park there would be maybe 2-3 months where its too cold/rainy in Anaheim area. But the rest of the 9-10 months of the year its fine. I'd imagine if Disney really did a water park in Anaheim area (including GardenGrove) it'd be an indoor one. As Darkbeer mentioned there is already one in the area, Great Wolf Lodge.

Disneyhead'71

And to continue, a bunch of rooms with a view like the one below might make staying down in GG an actual viable option.

z6y78j8nvh0z.jpg

They could heat the water for the cold months and have stratically placed hot spring baths (Large jetted spas) around the park. And of course, rare, hard to get characters/rubberheads, and LTE pins and ears.

And The Disneyland Resort doesn't have a water park, so I think it would be a smart move. Throw in a highly themed mini-golf course or 2 and DLR becomes a lot more resort-like.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom