Fountain & Bottled Drink, Popcorn, Pretzel, and Other Snack Item Prices Exponentially

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
First off, my season tickets are 10 games...so that's 10 DAYS x the number of seats I have...

HELLO!!!!! YOU'RE IN A RESORT!!!! No, it's not the French Riviera, but IT"S A RESORT...do you REALLY think Disney is going to charge LESS because it's Disney, and some people on a web site are complaining? IT'S A RESORT

We’re not really in disagreement on this issue...I expect food costs to go up each year...

I just don’t see the validity of comparison from short term events to week stays...

Maybe if i had worked at resorts or team disney i might understand it better?

I’d like to think that all travel spots - Vegas, cruises, tours, all inclusives and yes - walt disney world, have somebody working there that understands the concept of aggregate pricing?

But I’m a dreamer 😀

wendysue

Just another reason to either stop at Walmart, Target, etc. if you have a car, or have supplies delivered from garden grocer, etc. We can have 32 bottles of water for 10.99 from Garden Grocer. We bring our own cereal and breakfast stuff, as well as coffee, tea and snacks.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Just another reason to either stop at Walmart, Target, etc. if you have a car, or have supplies delivered from garden grocer, etc. We can have 32 bottles of water for 10.99 from Garden Grocer. We bring our own cereal and breakfast stuff, as well as coffee, tea and snacks.
Not to derail the thread, but with Garden Grocer, do they deliver to your actual room or just the front desk?

MrPromey

Disney probably gets a good deal on syrup but, in general, it isn't as cheap as people think...

It's cheap enough that in this part of Florida, at least, McDonald's can charge $1 for a large and provide unlimited free refills during your visit.

I think the overall point is, and I think we can all agree, the actual cost has absolutely no bearing on the price that Disney charges for soda (or really anything else) in any part of Walt Disney World.

To that end though, actual cost has almost no real bearing on most prices in a capitalist society as some things will be sold at a loss and others at crazy-high prices.

I just think in the case of WDW, there are no loss-leaders.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's cheap enough that in this part of Florida, at least, McDonald's can charge $1 for a large and provide unlimited free refills during your visit.

I think the overall point is, and I think we can all agree that actual cost has absolutely no bearing on the price that Disney charges for soda (or really anything else) in any part of Walt Disney World.

To that end though, actual cost has almost no real bearing on most prices in a capitalist society as some things will be sold at a loss and others at crazy-high prices.

I just think in the case of WDW, there are no loss-leaders.

It used to be tickets and hotel rooms....

Now I’m not so sure but by info is outdated.

wendysue

Not to derail the thread, but with Garden Grocer, do they deliver to your actual room or just the front desk?
When we have ordered previously, they put the refrigerated stuff in our refrigerator and left the rest just inside our room door. But last time we had to go to bell services to get our beer, which makes sense.

MrPromey

It used to be tickets and hotel rooms....

Now I’m not so sure but by info is outdated.

Some point in the past, I could see tickets possibly being true to this, at least with the longer multi-day ones but it is hard to imagine their hotel prices ever being a loss for them given that they have always charged a premium over most local comparable non-property hotels and resorts who could not have been selling rooms at a loss consistently and remained in business without the alternative revenue streams wdw has with parks, dining, merchandise and additional activity options.

NelsonRD

Don't drink soda and we typically bring/buy a case of water. We breakfast in our rooms and don't typically buy snacks, except churros which will probably stop now on principle. Can we afford a $6.25 churrro, sure as **** we can, but we wont support their pricing decisions where we dont have to. Overall, were mostly indifferent but have been scaling back our TS dining as, IMO, the food quality resort wide has been lacking especially for the price. All this increasing is just making DCL trips more enticing for us.

Yes, but the environment is changing. Is it enjoyable to cut out soda and lug water around? I am not trying to derail the thread, or offend DVC members, but I have some legitimate questions on how these rising cost affect DVC members who committed to Disney for decades.

When we considered purchasing, the vision was the vacation atmosphere would be as magical as it was in that moment. Over time, this is clearly not the case today, and if I could only continute to support Disney vacations by making all these cuts, it would be less enjoyable and devalue the attractiveness of DVC.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Some point in the past, I could see tickets possibly being true to this, at least with the longer multi-day ones but it is hard to imagine their hotel prices ever being a loss for them given that they have always charged a premium over most local comparable non-property hotels and resorts who could not have been selling rooms at a loss consistently and remained in business without the alternative revenue streams wdw has with parks, dining, merchandise and additional activity options.

I should call them “break even leaders” to be more accurate.

It was the employee to guest ratio that drug down the hotels...they used to run at 1:2...which was as much as 5x a normal operator.

But the prices shot way above wages and inflation...so that doesn’t hold up anymore.

MrPromey

I should call them “break even leaders” to be more accurate.

It was the employee to guest ratio that drug down the hotels...they used to run at 1:2...which was as much as 5x a normal operator.

But the prices shot way above wages and inflation...so that doesn’t hold up anymore.

That makes sense. Quality in service was at one time a lot higher resort-wide so I could see that.

Smiley/OCD

We’re not really in disagreement on this issue...I expect food costs to go up each year...

I just don’t see the validity of comparison from short term events to week stays...

Maybe if i had worked at resorts or team disney i might understand it better?

I’d like to think that all travel spots - Vegas, cruises, tours, all inclusives and yes - walt disney world, have somebody working there that understands the concept of aggregate pricing?

But I’m a dreamer 😀

VERY SIMPLE...10 games, which are all day events = 10 days...look, we will just have to agree to disagree.

willsdad01

As with most on this forum, big Disney fan. Great memories with the family and love being immersed in the magic. We've been 7 times over the last 11 years and the costs continue to rise at an amazing rate. As costs have risen we've noticed the following:
- More rides closed or breaking down throughout the day.
- More self service required to utilize the app for fast passes
- More crowded in the fall (last trip in '17)
- No more evening parade at MK
- Less viewing choices of the nighttime fireworks show as they've roped off premium viewing for people who want to pay even more money. Sure, we can see fireworks anywhere, but the castle is now the focal point with it acting as a large screen.

We can compare this to ball parks or concert venues all day long, but I would argue people don't attend those venues for several days. Prices are already higher than average. In addition, many of the midwest amusement parks are starting to include soft drinks and even sunscreen. Not that I expect Disney to offer free drinks and sunscreen, but as stated....soda syrup is cheap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom