Fort Wilderness Barn moving Plans Leaked

TheBeatles

They could do level 1 parking like they did at AKL-KV. With the large arcs of buildings they are doing it is almost necessary. My walk to the front desk at Kidani was 10 minutes through the buildings. If I had known there was parking underneath us it would have been worth getting a rental car.

I'd rather not see this because that parking garage looks terrible when compared to the rest of KV's themeing. To go from an African village to exposed pipes, concrete, and loud car echoes is not pleasant to the senses.

Pioneer Hall

I'd rather not see this because that parking garage looks terrible when compared to the rest of KV's themeing. To go from an African village to exposed pipes, concrete, and loud car echoes is not pleasant to the senses.

But you can look at it the other way as well. Parking lots are never themed, so with the lot underneath the building it gives people in the rooms something nicer to look at. If the lot was outside the building as it is with every other resort that means some rooms are ultimately getting the "dreaded" parking lot view. So while the lot might not be themed, I think it helps the overall resort theme much more.

TheBeatles

But you can look at it the other way as well. Parking lots are never themed, so with the lot underneath the building it gives people in the rooms something nicer to look at. If the lot was outside the building as it is with every other resort that means some rooms are ultimately getting the "dreaded" parking lot view. So while the lot might not be themed, I think it helps the overall resort theme much more.

I've definitely considered this before, but that transition from themeing to grey concrete is too jarring for my taste.

DRC68

After making the trek from CT this past August with our camper, my family would be thrilled to trade points for a campsite even!

GrumpyFan

As the poster from the DisBoards said, this is only part of the plan. A sheet that would show more is missing. I would expect that the missing information would take care of the questions about parking and other infrastructure.

Here's a thought that might be jarring for some. So, brace yourselves....

What if they're planning to move Pioneer Hall, or more specifically, the Hoop Dee Doo Revue, to somewhere else on property? Like, maybe, that area at Downtown Disney that used to be known as Pleasure Island? I'm just speculating, but, it could happen. At first thought it sounds kinda scary. I mean, why would they even consider such a thing to a show that's been successful for so long, in it's current location? But, then again, Downtown Disney is actually a great place for night-time entertainment, and with PI now being leveled, they surely have something in mind.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

What if they're planning to move Pioneer Hall, or more specifically, the Hoop Dee Doo Revue, to somewhere else on property? Like, maybe, that area at Downtown Disney that used to be known as Pleasure Island? I'm just speculating, but, it could happen. At first thought it sounds kinda scary. I mean, why would they even consider such a thing to a show that's been successful for so long, in it's current location? But, then again, Downtown Disney is actually a great place for night-time entertainment, and with PI now being leveled, they surely have something in mind.

I believe in the DtD thread it has been mentioned that the development plans involve primarily third-party restaurants and vendors. I'm not sure they want to bring another dinner show to that area.....

jt04

I believe in the DtD thread it has been mentioned that the development plans involve primarily third-party restaurants and vendors. I'm not sure they want to bring another dinner show to that area.....

I think it is a good idea for several reasons. It opens up valuable real estate at FW. It would add a dinner show at DTD which is something it currently lacks. It would be much more accessible to locals which would allow for larger ticket sales and probably guarantee sell outs for each performance. Disney needs a live dinner show to compete with several off-site offerings. It allows Disney to control at least one of the venues at the new PI so they avoid the possibility of the island becomming a ghost town in bad economic times that would be possible if it was all third party venues. It is certainly a family friendly Disney show and will help the new area establish itself as just that. It would make a profit and not just for that location but many of the patrons would head for the other DTD locations both before and after the show helping the bottom line of other DTD stores. Something PI was very weak at. It won't drive away potential customers from the DTD area. Something PI was very good at. Which is why PI is going.........going...........

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I think it is a good idea for several reasons. It opens up valuable real estate at FW. It would add a dinner show at DTD which is something it currently lacks. It would be much more accessible to locals which would allow for larger ticket sales and probably guarantee sell outs for each performance. Disney needs a live dinner show to compete with several off-site offerings. It allows Disney to control at least one of the venues at the new PI so they avoid the possibility of the island becomming a ghost town in bad economic times that would be possible if it was all third party venues. It is certainly a family friendly Disney show and will help the new area establish itself as just that. It would make a profit and not just for that location but many of the patrons would head for the other DTD locations both before and after the show helping the bottom line of other DTD stores. Something PI was very weak at. It won't drive away potential customers from the DTD area. Something PI was very good at. Which is why PI is going.........going...........

I imagine then the only question is why bring HDDR over (which thematically doesn't really fit in at PI), instead of keeping AC in place? But, time will tell I suppose.....

jt04

I imagine then the only question is why bring HDDR over (which thematically doesn't really fit in at PI), instead of keeping AC in place? But, time will tell I suppose.....

I have always thought they should keep the AC and Comedy Warehouse. I'm convinced Disney has bigger plans for S.E.A./AC on property somewhere. Just a hunch. HDDR going to DTD is a bit of a stretch I admit. But I don't think it is impossible.

That said, I do find the new FW expansion drawings compelling and I think we can expect several announcements in the next week or two. There sure is a lot going on right now!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I have always thought they should keep the AC and Comedy Warehouse. I'm convinced Disney has bigger plans for S.E.A./AC on property somewhere. Just a hunch. HDDR going to DTD is a bit of a stretch I admit. But I don't think it is impossible.

That said, I do find the new FW expansion drawings compelling and I think we can expect several announcements in the next week or two. There sure is a lot going on right now!

I'm looking forward to it......:)

Pioneer Hall

I highly doubt this would happen when the show regularly sells out in its current location. On that note though, with these plans, I could see Mickey's Backyard BBQ disappear and a new character/family friendly dinner show could make its way to DTD.

bgraham34

I just don't see them moving HDDR to DTD. Disney I am sure will want to keep with the theming of Fort Wilderness. Moving it to DTD will surely enrage some families who love to stay at FW just to goto the show. I know people that do that every year.

SLSettles

The Hoop would be a flop anywhere else on property, I think. You have to be conditioned to enjoy the Hoop, and walking into it from a shopping/dining district does nothing to condition the audience. The boat over, the stroll through the pines, the old-timey country music being piped in, the ambiance of the Fort... they all serve to transport you to a simpler time and a slower pace. A relaxed state of mind where you can just enjoy, and not take yourself so seriously. In my mind, these are prerequisites to really enjoying the Hoop. And that ain't happening at DTD, partner!

BTW, this is the latest hypothetical of what the new resort might look like based on educated guesses from the hints given by the leaked plans (for those who don't care to follow the discussion on the DIS):

Screenshot2010-10-27at62329PM.png

ShantaClausSm.png

SLSettles

Oh, one other thing. About gating, approach roads, and parking. I seriously doubt that the new resort will share gating and approach roads with the Fort. The gating and registration area at the Fort are abysmal as it is... very confusing with motorhomes, cars, buses and golf carts all buzzing around. Cabin guests wait in long lines in the tiny Registration Outpost as it is. Add to that the glamor of driving to your DVC suite via shirtless campers swilling beer, kids on bikes, laundry lines strung between trees... well, it doesn't exactly set the mood, does it? And I'm one of the redneck campers, so don't think I'm hating. Just saying it isn't what one expects on arrival at a DVC resort. My guess is this new resort will either share gating with WL, or a new road will be built that approaches from the south, probably along the path of an existing service road that follows a canal (which already has a bridge). Either way, this resort would have it's own reception desk. Under-unit parking sounds to me like the best option, since no one wants a room with a view of a parking lot, but who knows until the other sheet of plans is discovered?!

ShantaClausSm.png

I'm not too excited about the initial looks of this. I would definitely want some seperation from the campsites and the existing buildings. Getting rid of the backyard BBQ is an awesome idea, worst character dining experience we ever had. The idea of more parking lots in this area really kills it for me. Other than the ability to sleep 5 people, which many other DVC resorts have or are working on implemeting, I don't see the attraction. Maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Also, why a new DVC now? They are working on selling Hawaii for the next three years and still have AK lodge available. Good luck selling Hawaii in 3 years if they add another WDW DVC.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Good luck selling Hawaii in 3 years if they add another WDW DVC.

Are they targeting the same customers with a Hawaii DVC as they would be a WDW? I'd think that having Hawaii as a home resort would require being able to easliy (relativly speaking) make the trip. I'd guess that they would be pushing Aulani harder to the west coast crowd than the east coasters that I believe tend to visit WDW more. Just a thought though, since I have not done a lot of DVC research.

As much as I worship the island of Hawaii, barring a win in the Powerball, a trip there on a constant enough basis to make DVC worth it is just out of the question. I do see myself as a future DVC owner, and if done right, I'd love to have opportunity to (easily) take advantage of Ft Wilderness from my DVC.

GrumpyFan

The Hoop would be a flop anywhere else on property, I think. You have to be conditioned to enjoy the Hoop, and walking into it from a shopping/dining district does nothing to condition the audience. The boat over, the stroll through the pines, the old-timey country music being piped in, the ambiance of the Fort... they all serve to transport you to a simpler time and a slower pace. A relaxed state of mind where you can just enjoy, and not take yourself so seriously. In my mind, these are prerequisites to really enjoying the Hoop. And that ain't happening at DTD, partner!

I don't disagree with you on any of that, I'm just speculating that it could happen. It's not an apples to apples comparison, but think about the Cracker Barrel stores/restaurants, which are scattered across the U.S. in all but a few states. While they don't do a show, they do operate in a similar manner with good, old fashioned comfort food and a friendly a atmosphere. And while I agree that it's not necessarily a good idea to move it, I really don't know that a location at DTD would necessarily hurt it that much either. In fact, it might actually drive higher numbers since it would be in a location easier to get to.

Also, why a new DVC now? They are working on selling Hawaii for the next three years and still have AK lodge available. Good luck selling Hawaii in 3 years if they add another WDW DVC.

I think the Hawaii DVC is really aimed at a different market demographic than the WDW DVCs. Hawaii is a big vacation destination, and already has many timeshares located there. Disney is just trying to get in on some of that market segment, as well as add something special for DVC owners. Besides that, this is still just a rumored development at this point. Anything can happen here. For all we know these plans could have been drawn up years ago, and somebody just forgot to take them out.

Brian_WDW74

I'm not too excited about the initial looks of this. I would definitely want some seperation from the campsites and the existing buildings. Getting rid of the backyard BBQ is an awesome idea, worst character dining experience we ever had. The idea of more parking lots in this area really kills it for me. Other than the ability to sleep 5 people, which many other DVC resorts have or are working on implemeting, I don't see the attraction. Maybe they'll prove me wrong.

They just opened a DVC preview center for Aulani at Tokyo Disneyland. It looks like they'll be targeting the Asian market for the Hawaiian resort, so there shouldn't be much overlap with the WDW demographic.

TheBeatles

Something this massive would have to use the Wilderness Lodge entrance or a road could be built going from the Fort's entrance straight through untouched wilderness.

This is too big and out of place for Fort Wilderness. I see it as an overall plan to have DVC all around the MK resort area.

I'd be really disappointed if this was built. BLT ruined the Contemporary and I don't want the same mistake to be committed at FW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom