Fort Wilderness Barn moving Plans Leaked

WDWFigment

Being a DVC member, I'm all about new places to spend my points within the context of DVC membership, since it is much cheaper than converting them to use at non-DVC resorts.

With that said, since every DVC resort needs to have people purchase into it to make it their "home resort", I wonder what kind of demand there is for Fort Wilderness?

Or is this just going to be an extension of the Wilderness Lodge points? Similar to the Treehouses at Saratoga?

I think there would be demand for Fort Wilderness. I think one reason the Treehouses became a part of Saratoga was that SSR didn't have enough demand/popularity on its own, and owners with a 'home resort' that wasn't SSR weren't thrilled with all the SSR owners trying to stay at their resorts. (I know a popular 'strategy/piece of advice' on the resale market is to buy SSR and try to stay elsewhere at 7 months, since SSR has cheap per point prices, low MFs, and a later expiration.)

One of the reasons THV were added to SSR, not the only reason.

All of that said, I know we'll try to use our SSR points at the Fort. :)

Phonedave

I think there would be demand for Fort Wilderness. I think one reason the Treehouses became a part of Saratoga was that SSR didn't have enough demand/popularity on its own, and owners with a 'home resort' that wasn't SSR weren't thrilled with all the SSR owners trying to stay at their resorts. (I know a popular 'strategy/piece of advice' on the resale market is to buy SSR and try to stay elsewhere at 7 months, since SSR has cheap per point prices, low MFs, and a later expiration.)

I think that, along with the small number of treehouse rooms available. It really is not big enough to be a stand alone resort. If that was the case, it would need it's own front desk services, it's own bell services, etc. Of course it could use SSR's, but then (by law) SSR would have to bill them for it.

Depending on how they price out Fort, this may be the straw that breaks the camels back (The camel being me, and the back being adding onto my existing contract)

-dave

-dave

Phonedave

So I don't know how to read topo, but I don't see any parking lots here. Seems kinda odd to me those details would be missing from a topo map.

Perhaps they intend to bring the steam train back to shuttle folks from the parking lot? jk

Just spitballing here, but.

A parking lot near the new buildings is no good. It would create traffic moving through the campgrounds, somthing they do not want. I see a few options.

1) Golf cart rentals

2) A dedicated car loop OUTSIDE the 'normal' confines of the campground that goes to the new units for drop off / pick up of luggage only. I am not sure how you would enforce this to prevent the drop off / pick up of people. But if you could drop off people, that could get quite crowded at the end of the night.

3) A automated mass transit type solution. As you said, steam train, or some other mode. Busses would not be a viable option. They are fine for moving people around, but I am thinking about getting luggage to and from the rooms.

4) A large bell services staff that would be available to deliver luggage to and pick up luggage from your room.

That last one may just be the answer. A bunch of EZ-GOs with the flatbed option to haul luggage around.

-dave

GrumpyFan

Interesting, albeit odd plans that were leaked there. I can see where a DVC at Wilderness would be a big hit, however, the plans leaked just create a lot of questions. The plans didn't show roadways or parking areas, which will add more traffic to the area. The plans appear to be overlaying or coming very close to several existing buildings, surely those aren't going to stay like that, right? What will happen to those existing buildings, and the Hoop Dee Doo review? I'm not saying I don't believe them, I'm just confused and wondering where this is going.

Personally, I would like to see Wilderness (DVC) Cabins built in the area that would sleep more than 5 guests. Perhaps 6, 8, 10, 12 or more sleeper cabins that could be used by larger parties and families. I think cabins would fit better in the environment they've created there than a 2-story or bigger condo-style villas.

Regardless, this will be interesting to watch and see what happens.

frank2271

I read that the plans are in pdf form, is there a way someone can post a link to the file. I'd like to take a good look at it.

I have mixed feeling about this, I tent camp at FW every January and I don't know how the hundreds or thousands of more guests in FW would look. Imagine the campfire with all those extra people? What will the wait at the breakfast buffet be? FW is a quiet, private (?) secret and I love it that way.

I guess we'll have to wait and see and have faith in Disney to do this the right way.

jakeman

I'll admit I don't know how to express what my thoughts are. On on hand this seems like a great addition to the DVC line up for people who are either adding on or already have points. I think what I don't understand is how the appeal of having FW as your home resort would equate to, say the Contemporary.

Perhaps the building will be the same type of accommodations as the other resorts.

I think all I know is it is very early in this rumor, but what has come out now doesn't match with my perception of FW as a sleepy little campground with an awesome breakfast buffet (not that my perception is correct or even justified).

Brian_WDW74

I read that the plans are in pdf form, is there a way someone can post a link to the file. I'd like to take a good look at it.

I have mixed feeling about this, I tent camp at FW every January and I don't know how the hundreds or thousands of more guests in FW would look. Imagine the campfire with all those extra people? What will the wait at the breakfast buffet be? FW is a quiet, private (?) secret and I love it that way.

I guess we'll have to wait and see and have faith in Disney to do this the right way.

http://my.sfwmd.gov/cmsdk/content/i...echnical/101021-29c4_epdpstables_pgd79948.pdf

SLSettles

I'm a disboards guy (where the info was leaked) and have been studying the plans for the past couple of days. I just wanted to point out that this sheet is only part of the plan (we don't have the others) and the plan clearly continues off the bottom and left of this sheet. It appears that the southern buildings are making up a second arc, probably larger than the one fully pictured given the buildings scheduled for removal (the barns, the MBYBBQ) and also, over the existing employee dock is another building which juts out into what is now water. Also, I think it highly unlikely that this resort will share gating, guest access roads, registration, parking et al with the Fort. I suspect parking will be SE and outside of this second arc. The biggest mystery to me is how they can back these villas up to, not just Pioneer Hall, but the Pioneer Hall loading dock! I suppose they could enclose the whole delivery area with appropriately themed facades, but there is no indication of that on the plans.

Some fun speculating!
:xmas:

disneyny

All of this is very interesting. It reminds me of when the blueprints for the Fantasyland addition got leaked! There does seem to be lots of good rumors these past couple of weeks and hopefully progress with River Country and Pleasue Island. I think these two areas were very unDisney and needed attention long before now. I hope there are good things soon to come and since we already own DVC at VWL I would be very interested in adding on in this area if the theming is done right. I am cautiously optimistic about all this progress!! Props to the detective work at the Disboards- those people know their stuff!!

MaryJaneP

Could it be that no parking lots are on sketch because they are gonna add a monorail spur to service both this resort, WL, and FW?

Just sayin.

davidwilsoon

So I don't know how to read topo, but I don't see any parking lots here. Seems kinda odd to me those details would be missing from a topo map.

Perhaps they intend to bring the steam train back to shuttle folks from the parking lot? jk
Honestly, that's what springs to my mind when I see this. It looks pretty big. But here's to hoping it looks good.

PhilharMagician

I'm a disboards guy (where the info was leaked) and have been studying the plans for the past couple of days. I just wanted to point out that this sheet is only part of the plan (we don't have the others) and the plan clearly continues off the bottom and left of this sheet. It appears that the southern buildings are making up a second arc, probably larger than the one fully pictured given the buildings scheduled for removal (the barns, the MBYBBQ) and also, over the existing employee dock is another building which juts out into what is now water. Also, I think it highly unlikely that this resort will share gating, guest access roads, registration, parking et al with the Fort. I suspect parking will be SE and outside of this second arc. The biggest mystery to me is how they can back these villas up to, not just Pioneer Hall, but the Pioneer Hall loading dock! I suppose they could enclose the whole delivery area with appropriately themed facades, but there is no indication of that on the plans.

Some fun speculating!
:xmas:

Will Pioneer Hall exist after this? Will a new hall be built elsewhere and more centered inside the FW resort property?

I would have to aggree that the new resort would have it's own check-in, but roads and gating I would have to think will be shared since they already exist.

Pioneer Hall

As the poster from the DisBoards said, this is only part of the plan. A sheet that would show more is missing. I would expect that the missing information would take care of the questions about parking and other infrastructure.

toolsnspools

They could do level 1 parking like they did at AKL-KV. With the large arcs of buildings they are doing it is almost necessary. My walk to the front desk at Kidani was 10 minutes through the buildings. If I had known there was parking underneath us it would have been worth getting a rental car.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom