For those that have been to DL and WDW?

Figment632

Original Poster
I have never been to DL but a lot of reviews I read say that a lot of the attractions that both resorts share are better in DL. I rarely read that one is better in WDW. For example a common one is that POTC is better in DL. So my question is does WDW have any attractions that are better than it's counterpart in DL?

krankenstein

It is usually agreed that WDW has a better Splash Mountain, HM, Winnie the Pooh ride and ToT. A few others are debated, but Florida normally wins with the ones listed above.

Since1976

I would say the main thing that makes DL's attractions better is that over there, they are not limited by torrential rain, so more attractions load outside, and their exterior architecture is not so reliant on protective awnings. This doesn't seem like a huge difference, but believe me, the openness and freedom they are allowed over there due to the great weather is very noticeable.

Purely from a ride experience perspective, I would say that the Haunted Mansion in WDW is now better than its DL counterpart, thanks to the recent upgrades which actually added more to the attraction than were added at DL. I haven't actually ridden WDW's new HM yet, but that's the consensus among those who have.

With Winnie-the-Pooh, it's a toss-up. DL has these cute, longer vehicles shaped like beehives. It also loads outside in a lush forest. But WDW has honeypots which bounce up and down, which is a nice touch.

Tower of Terror is definitely better at WDW, as its elevators do more than just go up and down.

Is it worth it to go to DL when most of the same attractions can be found over in FL? Absolutely! Going to DL is like coming home and finding your living room redecorated and the furniture moved around in a way you never thought you would like. It's wonderful to change things up once in a while. Plus, there are some DL exclusives like Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, which, in my opinion, is Disney's best attraction *anywhere*.

I agree with the above that WDW has a better Splash, Pooh, HM, and ToT. I'll throw in that WDW has a better Innoventions - easier to access. WDW also has a better Star Tours - the ride is exactly the same but the Ewok village with the giant AT-AT is so much cooler. And the queue has more droids.

On the flip side, Disneyland definitely wins for a better Soarin'. Like Star Tours, the actual ride is exactly the same, but the theming at DLR is so much better - lots of cool aviation stuff and the building looks like a giant hangar.

I'll say that WDW has a better Space Mountain. Most will say the opposite, but I love classic Space.

I'll also add that the my favorite attractions at DLR that WDW doesn't have are the Indy ride, the Roger Rabbit ride, the Matterhorn, and the classics: Mr. Toad and original Tiki Birds. Screamin' is pretty cool too.

mickeymaniacs

I would say the main thing that makes DL's attractions better is that over there, they are not limited by torrential rain, so more attractions load outside, and their exterior architecture is not so reliant on protective awnings. This doesn't seem like a huge difference, but believe me, the openness and freedom they are allowed over there due to the great weather is very noticeable.

Purely from a ride experience perspective, I would say that the Haunted Mansion in WDW is now better than its DL counterpart, thanks to the recent upgrades which actually added more to the attraction than were added at DL. I haven't actually ridden WDW's new HM yet, but that's the consensus among those who have.

With Winnie-the-Pooh, it's a toss-up. DL has these cute, longer vehicles shaped like beehives. It also loads outside in a lush forest. But WDW has honeypots which bounce up and down, which is a nice touch.

Tower of Terror is definitely better at WDW, as its elevators do more than just go up and down.

Is it worth it to go to DL when most of the same attractions can be found over in FL? Absolutely! Going to DL is like coming home and finding your living room redecorated and the furniture moved around in a way you never thought you would like. It's wonderful to change things up once in a while. Plus, there are some DL exclusives like Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, which, in my opinion, is Disney's best attraction *anywhere*.

I totally agree with you about the Indy ride! I thought it was awesome, it was the first ride I went on in DL and I loved it. Dinosaur doesn't even come close.

Kman101

My take?

Winnie the Pooh -- Both the same. I like the outdoor queue and area better at DL but the rides are basically identical.

Peter Pan -- DL's seemed a little better. No major reasoning why.

it's a small world -- Was down for refurb when I was at DL so I can't compare.

Space Mountain -- hands down better at DL

Splash Mountain -- hands down better at WDW

Big Thunder Mountain -- Virtually the same but I liked the queue better at DL.

Haunted Mansion -- Hands down better at WDW

Tower of Terror -- better at DHS

Muppet*Vision 3D -- same, of course

Star Tours -- never rode at DL

Pirates of the Caribbean -- I like WDW's queue better, DL has a longer ride (a few different scenes and another drop) but in all honesty, I STILL don't see why people think that makes a better ride?

Chape19714

Here's My list

Small World- Much better at Disneyland
Pirates - Disneyland
Fantasmic - DL (better script and scenes)
Star Tours - DL
Pooh - Tie
Splash Mountain - WDW
Haunted Mansion - WDW
MuppetVision - DL (digital projection and clear special effects)
Peter Pan - DL

THertel88

This is My Opinion

Splash Mountain - Disneyland. I think im the only one? But its longer, has more animatronics.

Space Mountain - Disneyland. This is no question. But the Space Mountain at WDW will be the same when its re done

Buzz Lightyear - Disneyland. It has a detachable laser gun like MIB at Universal which is much better.

Haunted Mansion - Push. I love the building at WDW, but having the Jack Skellington version during the holidays makes HM better at DL.

Its a small world - Push. I love how it goes outside at DL, but other than that, its the same ride

Winnie the Pooh - Push. Like Its a small World, I like the outside portion, but other than that its the same

Big Thunder Mountain- Push. Same at both parks

Pirates of the Caribbean - Disneyland. Its way better at Disneyland.

Tower of Terror - Disney World.

Fantasmic' - Disney World. Not even close

Soarin' - Push.

Indiana Jones is better than Dinosaur - Disneyland

Grizzly River Run is better than Kali River Rapids - Disneyland

Rockin' Rollercoaster is better than California Screamin' - Disney World

IMO, there is no better show in any park than Aladdin at California Adventure.

THertel88

The best thing I found about Disneyland was the availability of everything. I stayed at Grand Californian Hotel. There was a nice pool. Nice ameneties. An enterance right downstairs into CA right next to Grizzly River Run and 100 feet from Soarin'. And the 2 parks are right next to each other, and Downtown Disney in a great spot

WDW will always be a better experience altogether than DL, but DL is always a fun time

BSikor

I loved HM in Cali. The stretchroom is actually an elevator. The gallery of portraits. Now of course ours is better thanks to the rehab.

Space Mountain was amazing in DL (I didn't ride it with the Chili Peppers)

Cali Screamin' was a disappointment

Jungle Cruise was better.

Our Tower is good but after riding it a gazillion times the differences in Cali took my breath away because I didn't expect it.

Pirates was great although I hated the fact it was longer as a child vomited during the ride and it was such a foul odor that we couldn't escape.

Figment632

Original Poster
Here's My list

Small World- Much better at Disneyland
Pirates - Disneyland
Fantasmic - DL (better script and scenes)
Star Tours - DL
Pooh - Tie
Splash Mountain - WDW
Haunted Mansion - WDW
MuppetVision - DL (digital projection and clear special effects)
Peter Pan - DL

Wow i didnt know that the shows like Fantasmic would be different. For some reason I find that interesting. Are the fireworks in DL wishes and if so is that different as well?

Katherine

I would agree with the above...

splash, HM, Star Tours, Innoventions, ToT and maybe a few others are better at WDW.

A lot of the classic rides (peter pan, Small world, ect) are better at DL mainly because of the rehabs for the 50th but overall they are similar.

However, I like WDW's main street and Castle better though. It seems longer and the courtyard in front of the castle seems larger.

I wrote up a trip report from my DL adventure this past July and I compare things in a bit more detail... http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=332861

coasterphil

Wow i didnt know that the shows like Fantasmic would be different. For some reason I find that interesting. Are the fireworks in DL wishes and if so is that different as well?

DL has Remember Dreams Come True. I actually didn't have a chance to watch it during my trip because it was only performed on the night I got into town and I was falling asleep as they started. I assumed that I'd have a chance to see them another night, so I didn't get out of bed to watch them from the hotel balcony. It sounded like it was a lot more fun than Wishes.

LoriMistress

DLR: POTC, SM, JC, all attractions at FL, and normally HM is better at DLR until the recent refurbishment at WDW, Buzz, more AA @ SpM but the ride is shorter at DLR, Indiana Jones.

raven

The effects of Space Mountain in DL are much better but WDW's version is changing soon too. But I didn't care for the queue area and the constant right turns on the ride. That really hurt my neck! :eek:

Pongo

Oh gosh. Comparing DLR and WDW is one of my favorite things to do!

Space Mountain: I prefer WDW's layout, but DLR has better effects and is darker. It's a toss up for me, but certain things are superior in both places. Both are definitely worth doing.

Splash Mountain: They're both pretty much the same, with a few minor details changed. The AAs at WDW look more like the movie. I prefer WDW's.

Haunted Mansion: WDW's is superior since the refurb.

Pirates: DLR's is VASTLY superior. The added scenes make the story so much better and when compared to the WDW version, ours just looks like a lame mockery (that's kind of an exaggeration, but DLR's IS better). And I disagree with everyone. I like DLR's queue better. It's partially outdoors!

Fantasmic!: Goodness, I didn't even like Fantasmic! all that much after I saw the WDW version, but after seeing the DLR version I FELL IN LOVE. Saw it every night I was there. So much better. The Peter Pan portion LITERALLY takes your breath away.

Thunder Mountain: WDW's is longer and more spread out and just better in my opinion. DLR's version seems like a CliffNotes version of WDW's (even though DLR's was built first).

Teacups: The DLR version is actually better, in my opinion. I like the fact that it has no roof and it has GREAT scenery at the base of the Matterhorn.

Peter Pan: I very much dislike the WDW version. I absolutely LOVE the DLR version.

Pooh: DLR's was really strange to me. I thought it was very different than the WDW version. The story isn't told as well. But I do like the vehicles and the loading station.

Autopia: So much better at DLR.

Tower of Terror: The two are very different, and like Space Mountain, both have their advantages. I've always been a huge fan of the WDW version, but the DLR version was kind of refreshing when I rode it. It's a tie.

Things that are at DLR and not WDW:

Nemo Subs: SO COOL. I had never ridden a sub ride before and I thought the Nemo version was VERY well done.

California Screamin': A very fun roller coaster. Can't compare it to anything else. I went on it a ton of times while I was there.

Mr. Toad: I rode this a few times as a kid before they took it out of WDW, and after riding it as an adult, all I can say is ? But fun.

Golden Horseshoe Show: SO GOOD.

Storybookland Canal Boats: Lame, I know, but really relaxing.

Alice in Wonderland: My favorite Fantasyland ride. Very fun.

Aladdin Show: I didn't really think it was THAT amazing... not as good as Nemo in DAK, but still worth seeing.

Remember... Dreams Come True: Blows Wishes out of the water.

Matterhorn: OMG my favorite ride in the entire DLR. We must have rode this thing a million times on our vacation. It was GREAT. It's just an all-around fun ride. You'll be laughing the whole time.

TP2000

Wow i didnt know that the shows like Fantasmic would be different.

WARNING - DISNEYLAND FANTASMIC! SPOILERS AHEAD!

Fantasmic! at Disneyland is very, very different than the WDW version. At Disneyland it is performed on the Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer Island is transformed into the stage. They use the real Mark Twain in the grand finale', and the Sailing Ship Columbia is made over into Captain Hook's Pirate Ship and a full crew of pirates and Hook battle Peter Pan and Wendy on the deck and up in the rigging, with a big crocodile float following behind. It's the high point of Fantasmic!, and I simply can not believe they tried to create Fantasmic! out in WDW without this popular segment of the show. :confused:

For some reason Fantasmic! at Disneyland gets a lot more technology upgrades. Last year they redid all the lighting in the towers, on the island and on the princess floats and swapped out the original 1990's lightbulbs and colored gels for 21st century LED's and fiber optics. Right now while the show is down for 8 weeks they are replacing the original film projectors from the 1990's with new digital imaging projectors that will be much more clear and vivid. And then this winter they will be adding new Flotsam and Jetsam floats to the Ursula scene and a brand new and much bigger dragon for the finale'.

Disneyland seems to continually update and tweak Fantasmic! each year for the past several years, and that continues into 2009. It makes what was already a very different show from the WDW version even more different and unique. As the other comments here suggest, it is an extremely rewarding show at Disneyland.

Here's a YouTube video of the Captain Hook and Peter Pan fight sequence. But remember nothing looks very good on YouTube compared to real life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqx983kjzy0&feature=related

And the Mark Twain finale'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfdt0Df8Zpw&feature=related

TP2000

I couldn't agree with you more!

The impact of climate on theme park design can not be underestimated. The changes are not just limited to the many outdoor attractions at Disneyland that would prove extremely challenging to operate at WDW, like; StorybookLand Canal Boats, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Sailing Ship Columbia, Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes, etc. But the shorter outdoor elements of some attractions at Disneyland like it's a small world, Alice In Wonderland, Winnie The Pooh, also would be impacted.

But it also makes a huge difference to all the other theme park amenities like dining, shops, entertainment, etc. Disneyland has seemingly 80% of its dining capacity on outdoor patios with no air conditioning and no real protection from rain. There are also many stores and carts that sell merchandise outdoors in the open at Disneyland because they know it's not going to rain for 9 months out of the year and it will rarely be stifling hot. It just gives a very different overall look and vibe to the different parks on each coast.

And they can also offer entertainment at Disneyland they would never try at WDW. The weekend dancing on outdoor dancefloors is a Disneyland exclusive. Dancing to rock bands at Tomorrowland Terrace or dancing to swing bands at Carnation Gardens is a Disneyland Date Nite tradition. But whenever I visit WDW's Magic Kingdom I can never find any dancing, or even any dancefloors.

It looks to me like the WDW Tomorrowland Terrace was set up originally with an indoor dancefloor, but they never seem to use it for dancing. I also don't see many young couples on dates when I visit WDW. But dancing the night away under the stars at Disneyland is a Southern California tradition. Walt even hosted a Wonderful World of Color episode that was all about Disneyland After Dark and the dancing was a big part of that.

Swing Dancing at Disneyland... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YofgBsawcjQ&feature=related

Dancing to pop bands at Tomorrowland Terrace... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrwxnTtTKR8

It's just another way that the overall operation of Disneyland sometimes differs quite dramatically from the operation of WDW's Magic Kingdom park.

Since1976

DL's "Remember Dreams Come True" makes WDW's "Wishes!" look quaint. They start out with the same music, but different narration (Julie Andrews rather than Jiminy Cricket), and there the similarities end.

"Remember..." launches into a aural montage of music and sounds from attractions past and present. Best parts:

1. the fireworks which surround you, launched from areas behind Main Street's facades

2. the POTC scene, where fireworks are launched back and forth like cannonballs

3. Indiana Jones, which features balls of fire

4. Star Wars, complete with laser effects fired through the smoke

I *cannot wait* for WDW to do the same sort of show for its next big anniversary. 40th? 50th?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom