For those that have been to DL and WDW?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I have been to both, and recently, so I'll try to give you some thoughts.

HM is better at WDW after both recent upgrades. Not by a huge amount, but significantly.

Splash has a far better seating arrangement, and seems to just work a little better, at WDW. It also has higher capacity, and thus the line moves quicker.

DL's Pooh has a nice outdoor loading area, but the ride is much better at WDW -- no "I almost bounced right outta the ride" in California.

Tower of Terror is better at DHS than at DCA, but not by much.

I prefer the Swiss Family Treehouse to Tarzan's treehouse. Swiss shows you how the characters lived. Tarzan is merely a walkthrough with static scenes to read about.

I prefer WDW's Big Thunder as well.

The biggest thing that I enjoy about WDW over DL is space. The walkways at DL are narrow and the attractions are on top of each other. This is great when the crowds are small, because you don't have to go far between seeing wonderful things. But when they aren't, the place quickly gets to the point that you just can't move easily. And crowd control necessities around the time of fireworks and Fantasmic make certain parts of the park literally unnavigable (as in, they block them off). MK doesn't have that problem because 1) there's just more space, and 2) there are about a dozen less attractions, meaning that what is there is spread out better.

tirian

I have been to both, and recently, so I'll try to give you some thoughts.

HM is better at WDW after both recent upgrades. Not by a huge amount, but significantly.

Splash has a far better seating arrangement, and seems to just work a little better, at WDW. It also has higher capacity, and thus the line moves quicker.

DL's Pooh has a nice outdoor loading area, but the ride is much better at WDW -- no "I almost bounced right outta the ride" in California.

Tower of Terror is better at DHS than at DCA, but not by much.

I prefer the Swiss Family Treehouse to Tarzan's treehouse. Swiss shows you how the characters lived. Tarzan is merely a walkthrough with static scenes to read about.

I prefer WDW's Big Thunder as well.

The biggest thing that I enjoy about WDW over DL is space. The walkways at DL are narrow and the attractions are on top of each other. This is great when the crowds are small, because you don't have to go far between seeing wonderful things. But when they aren't, the place quickly gets to the point that you just can't move easily. And crowd control necessities around the time of fireworks and Fantasmic make certain parts of the park literally unnavigable (as in, they block them off). MK doesn't have that problem because 1) there's just more space, and 2) there are about a dozen less attractions, meaning that what is there is spread out better.

That's how I feel, too. I know that DL offers more attractions than the MK, and if you only have a day to do any Disney park world-wide, DL is the way to go.

But for a resort destination, WDW trumps DL. I prefer the comfortable roominess of the MK, and I'd rather travel to multiple parks with completely different theming than cram everything into a park and a half (DL/DCA).

The MK does need a new E-ticket and at least 2 C's or D's; but with the exceptions of PotC, IJA, Toad, the Tiki Room, and Toontown, I really prefer WDW. The Matterhorn doesn't count b/c we have E:E.

(Sorry, I think Fantasmic is overrated everywhere.)

Edit:

I never answered the original question.

Splash, HM, JC (IMO), Pooh, Snow White, ToT, Soarin', BTMRR, Astro Orbiter, Toy Story MM, and the monorails are better in Florida.

PotC, Toad, Tikis, and Toontown are better at DL.

Space Mt.'s effects are FAR superior at DL, but the track layout is better at the MK. Maybe when Florida's version gets overhauled, it'll be the best traditional Space Mt. again.

IJA is better than Dinosaur, but I like both of them; Dinosaur is more of a psychological thriller to me. The Submarine Voyage and TLS w/Nemo are too different to properly compare, but many people find the projection effects work better at Epcot.

KingdomHeart

I am so frickin' excited about going to Disneyland in TWENTY-FIVE OMG DAYS I COULD SCREAM OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY.

But, going into it, having seen videos of all the rides (which is sort of embarassing), I feel that the Splash at WDW is probs better ("Burrow's Lament" bugs me a bit), and their ToT is limited in terms of motion, so yeah, I'm gonna lean towards WDW on that one. I am SO excited for their PotC, and looking forward to Fantasmic (though Pocahontas is one of my all time fav Disney movies, with Peter Pan only enters my list for amazing score, of which they don't even use my favorite parts). I am also excited for a Space Mountain that doesn't make me fear for my life, a BTM I didn't work on, the original Small World with that BEAUTIFUL entryway. I feel like I'm going to love them both but completely differently. But I'll be gladly surprised about the way it turns out. 25 DAYS! 25 DAYS! 25 DAYS! 25 DAYS! 25 DAYS! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Okay, also? I just was about to start a thread like this. Love this place.
-Nicholas.

TP2000

Small World Holiday should be running by the time you visit Disneyland. Are you okay with the Holiday version? I like it myself! Talk about a super-duper overdose of the Christmas Spirit! Nothing gets Christmas pumped up like a trip through Small World Holiday.

There could be an entire thread on the how's and why's behind WDW not doing Holiday overlays for their classic E Tickets, couldn't there? :lol:

KingdomHeart

There could be an entire thread on the how's and why's behind WDW not doing Holiday overlays for their classic E Tickets, couldn't there? :lol:
I'm not sure if that's an actual question or not, but I thought it was because so much of DL's patronage is locals who need an inviting reason to come back, while WDW is mainly out-of-towners, who go to see the classics, no?
-Nicholas, who hopes he's not misinformed.

TheDisneyMagic

I'm not sure if that's an actual question or not, but I thought it was because so much of DL's patronage is locals who need an inviting reason to come back, while WDW is mainly out-of-towners, who go to see the classics, no?
-Nicholas, who hopes he's not misinformed.

Thats it, you pretty much got it.

TP2000

That's how I feel, too. I know that DL offers more attractions than the MK, and if you only have a day to do any Disney park world-wide, DL is the way to go.

Just because I like to do lists, and it might be interesting for folks who haven't been to Disneyland, here's the breakdown on attractions between Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom;

Disneyland Park - 47 Attractions
Magic Kingdom Park - 36 Attractions

E Tickets:
Disneyland - 11 Attractions
Magic Kingdom - 8 Attractions

D Tickets:
Disneyland - 9 Attractions
Magic Kingdom - 10 Attractions

C Tickets:
Disneyland - 12 Attractions
Magic Kingdom - 5 Attractions

B Tickets:
Disneyland - 12 Attractions
Magic Kingdom - 12 Attractions

A Tickets:
Disneyland - 3 Attractions
Magic Kingdom - 1 Attraction

Disneyland

Main Street USA
Disneyland Opera House First 50 Magical Years - D Ticket
Disneyland Railroad thru Grand Canyon Diorama and Primeval World - E Ticket
Omnibus - B Ticket
Fire Truck - B Ticket
Horseless Carriage - B Ticket
Horse Drawn Streetcars - B Ticket
Main Street Cinema - A Ticket

Adventureland
Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room - D Ticket
Jungle Cruise - E Ticket
Indiana Jones Adventure - E Ticket
Tarzan's Treehouse - B Ticket

New Orleans Square
Pirates of the Caribbean - E Ticket
The Haunted Mansion - E Ticket
Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island - C Ticket

Critter Country
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes - D Ticket
Splash Mountain - E Ticket
The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh - C Ticket

Frontierland
Mark Twain Riverboat - D Ticket
Sailing Ship Columbia - D Ticket
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - E Ticket
Big Thunder Ranch Farm & Petting Zoo - B Ticket

Fantasyland
Matterhorn Bobsleds - E Ticket
Pinnochio's Daring Journey - C Ticket
Snow White's Scary Adventures - C Ticket
Peter Pan's Flight - C Ticket
Mr. Toads Wild Ride - C Ticket
Alice In Wonderland - C Ticket
Sleeping Beauty Castle Diorama - A Ticket
Casey Jr. Circus Train - C Ticket
King Arthur's Carousel - B Ticket
Mad Tea Party - B Ticket
Dumbo the Flying Elephant - B Ticket
StorybookLand Canal Boats - D Ticket
it's a small world - E Ticket

Mickey's Toontown
Roget Rabbit's Car Toon Spin - C Ticket
Meet Mickey's House - B Ticket
Meet Minnie's House - A Ticket
Gadget's Go Coaster - B Ticket

Tomorrowland
Space Mountain - E Ticket
Star Tours - E Ticket
Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin - D Ticket
Autopia - C Ticket
Innoventions - C Ticket
Honey I Shrunk The Audience - D Ticket
Astro Orbiter - B Ticket
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage - E Ticket
Innoventions - C Ticket
Disneyland Monorail - E Ticket (but not counted in tally due to WDW discrepancy)

WDW's Magic Kingdom

Main Street USA
WDW Railroad - E Ticket
Omnibus - B Ticket
Fire Truck - B Ticket
Horseless Carriage - B Ticket
Horse Drawn Streetcars - B Ticket

Adventureland
Jungle Cruise - E Ticket
Pirates of the Caribbean - E Ticket
Magic Carpets of Aladdin - B Ticket
Swiss Family Treehouse - B Ticket
Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management - D Ticket

Frontierland
Tom Sawyer Island - C Ticket
Splash Mountain - E Ticket
Big Thunder Mountain - E Ticket
Country Bear Jamboree - D Ticket

Liberty Square
Liberty Square Riverboat - D Ticket
The Haunted Mansion - E Ticket
Hall of Presidents - D Ticket

Fantasyland
Mickey's Philharmagic - D Ticket
it's a small world - E Ticket
Peter Pan's Flight - C Ticket
Snow White's Scary Adventures - C Ticket
The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh - C Ticket
King Arthur's Carousel - B Ticket
Dumbo the Flying Elephant - B Ticket
Mad Tea Party - B Ticket

Mickey's Toontown Fair
Meet Mickey's House - B Ticket
Meet Minnie's House - A Ticket
Goofy's Barnstormer - B Ticket

Tomorrowland
Space Mountain - E Ticket
Astro Orbiter - B Ticket
WedWay PeopleMover - D Ticket
Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin - D Ticket
MILF - D Ticket
Stitch's Great Escape - D Ticket
Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress - D Ticket
Indy Speedway - C Ticket

coltow

Granted it's been many years since I went to DL. My brother and I went together just after we finished college. The things that stood out back then were:
Indiana Jones was amazing
Splash, we didn't care for because the boats loaded like regular flume rides where you sit front to back and not side by side
Small World was really cool that you started the ride outside
HM and POTC were nice because they were different than WDW
Space Mountain was by far the biggest surprise. The theme was great and we loved that you sat side by side and that it played music during the ride.
We also spend alot of time in Fantasy Land because they had so many different rides than at WDW. I remember Alice and Wonderland and Pinnochio and wondering why these were not at WDW.
Lastly, Toon Town was far superior at DL. There was the Roger Rabbit ride and there were many houses you could go through. I have pictures of Chip and Dale's Treehouse, and a post office.

ejeremy98

I disagree on Tower of Terror being better at WDW. Yes, it moves in multiple directions, but how is moving slowly sideways fun? or terrorizing?

Tower of Terror at DL to me seems to be a "scarier" ride because since it doesn't waste time going sideways, it seems to be doing more up and down drops which is what I like the ride for.

krankenstein

I disagree on Tower of Terror being better at WDW. Yes, it moves in multiple directions, but how is moving slowly sideways fun? or terrorizing?

It is terrorizing because an elevator is not supposed to move sideways, at last none of the ones I have ever been in. It's suppose to give you the feeling of entering The Twilight Zone.

bugsbunny

First off, you aren't an official Disney Dork unless you have been to DL and WDW. Going to where it all started is so charming in itself that the first time you go to DL after you have been going to WDW, I felt EVERYTHING was better.

Just being able to eat INSIDE the PoTC at the Blue Bayou was awesome. Ambience was a 10 and the over priced stake was good, too.

Main Street actually has shops AND stores on it. Not just one continouse "strip mall" like at WDW. Its nice to actually go to a REAL bakery at DL, the same Walt would go to in the morning!

The Indian Jones Ride queue was certainly better. POtC just rocks compared to WDW. THe one at WDW is like the "lite" version compared to DL.

Fantasmic at DL is great becuase you fee like you are right on top of the show because they do the majority fo the show from Tom Sawyer Island. In WDW terms, imagine that the stage is Aunt Polly's ice cream shack on Tom Sawyer island. Its pretty cool.

The Matterhorn is just a unique experience in itself. Just like Space Mountain, it isnt the fastest or best rolloercoaster, but is got such a unique experience when you ride it.

Even the monorail is different and fun, except when its hot at DL. With no AC, you roast in it!

The charm of the "tiny" condensed version of WDW by going to DL is just awesome and worth the trip. WOudl I stay 10 days there like I would for WDW? No way. You can do the whole DL resort in 3 or 4 days...at the most. But its cool to literally stay across the street from DL and then be able to WALK to both parks or Downtown Disney. That in itself is a great feature.

wannabeBelle

Hey there all, I love this thread!!!!! I had just gotten back from California in Mid September. I was out there for the Disney Earmarked Conference for select travel agents, so I was in seminars and training classes for a lot of the time but I did get to get into some of the park stuff as well. My absolute favorite ride is California Screamin'!!!! I loved it!! Did this one a bunch of times. I thought the Orange Zinger was cool in that it was a LOT More than your average swing ride. I didnt get over to Soarin' so I cant compare. Also many things I wanted to see such as HM, Small World and Aladdin were all down when I was there. I think the resorts in Florida are a touch above the ones in CA, with the possible exception of the Grand Californian. I noticed that the rides really are all on top of each other in CA as opposed to more spread out in FL. Some of the ride configurations to make use of the space are pretty interesting such as POTC. I wasnt crazy about the walk through DTD to get to either park from the onsite resorts. The first few times were cool, but after that, I really could have skipped that part. It was interesting to compare and contrast the differences in both parks. I loved some of the rides we dont have anymore or never did. I liked Alice and Mr Toad a lot. I really liked Monsters Inc ride, that was very cute. Indy was a great ride and I prefer it to Dinosaur every day of the week. All in all though, I like WDW for a more immersive experience. I think that DL is too close to the real world for me. I could look out my hotel window and see the houses that are built right next to the property, which I didnt care for. Plus for me it is a 5 hour plus flight to get there!!!! I think both parks have something to offer and should retain the differences, as that is what makes them fun to explore!!! Belle

sleepybear

I love reading this thread because we'll be going to DL for the first time in April.

One question I have is: How many days should we plan for the parks. We'll be driving up from San Diego and plan an evening at MK, a full day at CA then a full day at MK. Does anyone think we'll need more time? Especially since it's our first visit?

imagineer boy

The Indiana Jones Adventure simply blows everything at WDW out of the water. The themeing in the queue is so incredible and the ride is very thrilling. I'm still waiting for them to build it at DHS.

And DL's SM blows WDW's out of the water as well. If WDW gets the same caliber refurb, it will without a doubt blow DL's version out of the water.

evenflow

Splash Mountain - I liked DL much better.

Buzz Lightyear - Disneyland. The detachable laser gun is key.

Haunted Mansion - I have not rode the WDW refurb version yet so can't comment.

Its a small world - Didn't get to ride when i went to DL because of the refurb

Winnie the Pooh - pretty much the same

Pirates of the Caribbean - Disneyland. it seemed more pirate like and dark.

Tower of Terror - Disney World.

Indiana Jones is better than Dinosaur

Peter Pan - I just liked the DL version better, not sure why.

Things that are at DLR and not WDW:

Nemo Subs: It was pretty good but i liked 20,000 better at WDW when i was a kid.

Mr. Toad: It was fun to ride again.

Storybookland Canal Boats: Boring but a must since it is classic.

Alice in Wonderland: I was really surprised that it was one of my favorite rides in DL.

Roger Rabbit: Probably my favorite ride just because i am a big fan of the movie. I love that queue and the ride itself was fun.

Matterhorn: I found it to be very boring and not worth the long wait in line but it is old so i figured i had to do it.

TP2000

I love reading this thread because we'll be going to DL for the first time in April.

One question I have is: How many days should we plan for the parks. We'll be driving up from San Diego and plan an evening at MK, a full day at CA then a full day at MK. Does anyone think we'll need more time? Especially since it's our first visit?

That should be enough to see most of the highlights. You might want to focus in on the things at both parks that you won't find anywhere in WDW, like:

Disneyland Park Exclusives:
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Alice In Wonderland
Pinnochio's Daring Journey
Sleeping Beauty Castle Diorama
Disneyland Railroad thru Grand Canyon and Primeval World
Indiana Jones Adventure
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin (and Toontown in general)
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage (save it for late at night when the line dies)
Casey Jr. Circus Train
StorybookLand Canal Boats
Big Thunder Ranch Petting Zoo
Sailing Ship Columbia
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
Disneyland Opera House (if just for the models and exhibits in the lobby)
Matterhorn Bobsleds

Disney's California Adventure Park Exclusives:
California Screamin'
Golden Zephyr
Orange Stinger
Maliboomer
Flik's Flyers
Heimlich's Chew Chew Train
Francis' Lady Bug Boogie
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
Tuck n' Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies
Monsters Inc. Mike & Sulley To The Rescue
Aladdin Broadway Musical in Hyperion
Disney Animation Pavilion
Pacific Wharf factory tours (at least the tortilla factory!)
Blue Sky Cellar preview center (to see whats going in behind the construction walls)

Obviously you won't get to all of those exclusives, but look into them and at least check them out and walk through areas like Flik's Fun Fair or New Orleans Square or Toontown that don't exist in WDW.

Then there are attractions that are dramatically different and you'll really want to experience the Disneyland differences, often because it was the one Walt built himself, or something that has been updated in recent years to be much different than the WDW version;

Noticeably Different in Anaheim:
Pirates of the Caribbean
it's a small world
Jungle Cruise
Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island
Tarzan's Treehouse
Space Mountain
Peter Pan's Flight
Haunted Mansion
Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room
Disneyland Monorail
The Many Adventure of Winnie The Pooh
Tower of Terror
Grizzly River Run

The bulk of the rest of the attractions have only minor differences, or differences in the queue or exterior facade with the main attraction/ride being identical. You'll have to decide what you like the best to go on WDW favorites in Anaheim like Star Tours, Big Thunder Mountain, Soarin', Splash Mountain, Autopia, Innoventions, Tough To Be A Bug, MuppetVision, Snow White, Teacups, etc., etc.

jaredliu

My List.

DL far better:
Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Entire Fantasyland, Indy(over Dinosaur), Submarine(over Nemo & Friends), Pirates Lair (over Tom Sawyer Island), Remember Dreams come ture(blow Wishes out of the water)

DL slight better:
Big Thunder (more show scenes), Peter Pan (better show scenes), Grizzly River Run (over kali river rapid),Fantasmic

DL = WDW
Star Tour, Toy Story Mania, Buzz, Haunted Mansion, Soarin

WDW way better
Tower of Terror (longer, much better theming, prettier tower)

WDW slightly better
Splash Mountain(seat, show scenes)

*don't miss "blue sky cellar"(preview center at DCA). I think it's the best attraction of the (disappointing) park.

bugsbunny

One other thing you will just never be able to duplicate at WDW...the fact that you can walk out onto Main Street and KNOW that Walt's in the park since his light is on at the FireHouse. Sure, they do it at WDW, but we all know its just a prop. Speaking of the Fire House, its a lot different than the one at WDW, including the station number.

And I forgot how cool California Screamin was. Its compared to being a RoRC ripoff that Disney simply placed outdoors. Whatever! It rocks.

One othe ride that seems to take a beating and that people dont like it is the Maliboomer at DCA. I thought it was awesome. That thing shoots so fast and so high that I was giggling when it was over...and I'm 37!

New Orleans Square. I can't imagine why they never did that at WDW, but they should have. Having been to WDW over a dozen times before I went to DL, it was downright shocking seeing the HM at DL. You get so used to the WDW version that you feel like you are doing it for the 1st time all over again! I also loved the Sweet Mint Juleps you could get there.

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln was pretty incredible, too. Think of it as Hall of Presidents, but everyone is actually paying attention and not napping! ;)

Thought the Jazz Kitchen was good food in DownTown as well as the Blue Bayou in PoTC in DL. And the RainForest at DT at DL is kind of cool, looks like an Aztez temple. I ate on the roof terrace and got to watch a football game on teh huge LCD displays on teh outside of ESPN that was right nextdoor.

DL might be 50 years old and a trial size version that had all the problems Walt said he would fix when he found more land, but I think its something every WDW fan should do at least once. It gives you a whole new sense of appreciation and understanding of Walt did and why he did it.

heliumalias

When I took my parents and sister we spent 3 days total there and it was more than enough to see both parks and do favorite rides several times. You also don't feel too rushed off your feet.

DL rides I preferred were:
Space M (rode w/RHCP and w/o)
PoTC (not surprising as WDW was never meant to have one)
IaSW (didn't like outside loading dock, not fun when it's really hot with a really long queue)
Fireworks (having a projection improves the whole thing immensely)
Penny Arcade
Matterhorn
Indiana Jones

WDW preferred rides:
Splash (better seating)
ToT (according to my li'l sis)
Carousel of Progress

Those are the ones that stand out.

I liked both Fantasmics for different reasons. I'd seen the WDW version a lot before I saw the DL one so it was nice seeing the different bits.
HM - I liked both and the xmas version as well.
BTM - the best one's at DLP so I never felt there was much difference between the DL and WDW versions (as to preference anyway)

I actually quite like that both places are different, otherwise there wouldn't be any joy to visiting both.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom