For the first time, I've finally seen the fabled mythical Brazillian Tour Groups

thomas998

All tour guides are from their home country, AFAIK.

Here in Brazil most tour guides have a degree in Tourism and Hospitality (I know, the irony!) and must speak fluent English to be hired. Some of them have extensive knowledge of Disney, they read up on attractions, best time to visit the parks, recommended park; everything you and I do for our trip, they do for their groups.

The job of tour guide is to make the group's visit perfect. They are rated on their work when the group returns and will be evaluated after a period and you know how kids don't judge a job by how knowledgeable and efficient it's done but in how much fun they had, so I guess that's why tour guides will overlook most obnoxious behaviors we consider rude.

I suspect the "very fluent" requirement is defined by each business.... from my own experience in dealing with Brasilians that were "very fluent" it was all a matter of who was deciding what very fluent was. In law firms the typical person fluent in English was truly fluent to the point where you could drop them off in the middle of the US or England and they would be perfectly fine... Compared to a local tour company we used in Rio that was supposed to have "very fluent" guides for some folks we had visiting that were anything but, their fluency was in nodding, saying yes to whatever question was asked and then reciting some memorized English lines as they took the guest around...

But what I have noticed that is missing in the few Brasilian tour groups I've run across is any of the so called chaperons, unless they are the same age as the kids I haven't seen any... unless the kids had already taken them prisoner and tied them up somewhere before taking off... unless that is the secret to getting high grades from the kids - stay as far away from your group as possible.

cooleo

The BTG's are always there. I don't think I've ever been that I haven't seen them in the 14 times I've been to WDW. Funny thing is I've traveled to Brazil extensively usually for a month at a time & that is all they talk about there. There is always some one talking about there WDW reip they are planning for their school or other group.

LucyK

I suspect the "very fluent" requirement is defined by each business.... from my own experience in dealing with Brasilians that were "very fluent" it was all a matter of who was deciding what very fluent was. In law firms the typical person fluent in English was truly fluent to the point where you could drop them off in the middle of the US or England and they would be perfectly fine... Compared to a local tour company we used in Rio that was supposed to have "very fluent" guides for some folks we had visiting that were anything but, their fluency was in nodding, saying yes to whatever question was asked and then reciting some memorized English lines as they took the guest around...

But what I have noticed that is missing in the few Brasilian tour groups I've run across is any of the so called chaperons, unless they are the same age as the kids I haven't seen any... unless the kids had already taken them prisoner and tied them up somewhere before taking off... unless that is the secret to getting high grades from the kids - stay as far away from your group as possible.

I have no firsthand knowledge of tour groups, all info I relayed here came from an acquaintance that runs a tour agency and send a lot of groups to Disney annually. I never sat to talk with his tour guides to see what they consider proficiency in English to be.

But I agree with you that fluency is in the eye (mouth?) of the speaker when it comes to English speakers here in Brazil. I had one too many unpleasant surprises on my previous job when attending congresses and meetings with foreigners and guides that barely spoke English or barely could translate what was being said properly. After we leave English school we ARE supposed to take either IELTS or Cambridge Exams to prove our proficiency but not all employees will ask to see the results when hiring someone. I do consider myself fluent in English and I feel pretty comfortable around English speakers but I know there are always room to improvement.

thomas998

The BTG's are always there. I don't think I've ever been that I haven't seen them in the 14 times I've been to WDW. Funny thing is I've traveled to Brazil extensively usually for a month at a time & that is all they talk about there. There is always some one talking about there WDW reip they are planning for their school or other group.

Kind of makes you wonder why Disney doesn't open an amusement park in Brazil, frankly if they picked the right part of the country it would be some of the best weather of any of their parks.

Graham9

Here's a thought.....If these tour groups decide to turn up at the World next year - which I'm sure they will - and they are staying on Disney property.... and lets assume most, if not all of them have (or access to) smartphones or similar....and they access the Fastpass app and book themselves three passes each.....will it be worth the effort of turning up at the World at all? Everything will be booked 60 days in advance leaving nothing for anyone else.

It might be easier if they close the World, but leave it open for just for tour groups....or throw away this FP+ system.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Hmm..it's been a couple of days and this conversation (although pointless) hasn't gone completely off the rails.
I have to say I'm pretty impressed.

Eh...what the heck I'll pitch in and say what I always say in these 'BTG' conversations:

It has a LOT less to do with the fact that they're Brazilians and LOT more to do with the fact that it's a GIANT horde of teenagers with not enough supervision.

Brazilian, Mexican, 'Merican, we can all agree: a whole bunch of teenagers with little to no supervision is NEVER a good thing (unless you're the teenagers).

EDIT: I don't know how to spell.

Last edited:
I have 2 stories about BTG's from my trip in December.

1. While waiting in a line for Mickeys Philharmagic, about 10 teenagers from one of the groups literally crawled underneath the ropes to the front of the line, while the parents/chaperones "kindly" just pushed past everyone to the front. Everybody was too shocked to even respond. And then during the show, none of them even payed attention. They all just sat there talking the entire show (they were in the row right behind me).

2. Also, I find it interesting that I saw at least 3 of the teenagers there just pull out a wad of cash (probably around $1000 by the looks of it) everytime they bought something. That is just insane!

I have nothing but negative things to say regarding these tour groups, absolute nightmares! Matching t shirts, bag's even shoes, crazy stuff! My worst story regarding them doesn't come from disneyworld but from Universal but i'l still share. We were going to ride the Rip Ride Rockit and timed it horribly. Just as we were walking in giant group of Brazilians swarmed in front of us ( adding at least 15 mins to an already long line). I knew instantly I was in for a long battle. Then to make matters worse, a Uruguay group just as big cam behind me. Me and my friend were stuck between two groups. They are annoying at the worst of times with the chanting, but on a very hot day and in a 90 minute wait they decided to begin a chant war -_-. One country would sing their songs until the other tried to out-sing them with their countries "tunes". It was a wait
to forget!

Goofyernmost

I have nothing but negative things to say regarding these tour groups, absolute nightmares! Matching t shirts, bag's even shoes, crazy stuff! My worst story regarding them doesn't come from disneyworld but from Universal but i'l still share. We were going to ride the Rip Ride Rockit and timed it horribly. Just as we were walking in giant group of Brazilians swarmed in front of us ( adding at least 15 mins to an already long line). I knew instantly I was in for a long battle. Then to make matters worse, a Uruguay group just as big cam behind me. Me and my friend were stuck between two groups. They are annoying at the worst of times with the chanting, but on a very hot day and in a 90 minute wait they decided to begin a chant war -_-. One country would sing their songs until the other tried to out-sing them with their countries "tunes". It was a wait
to forget!
In my opinion, Rip Ride Rocket, unless one has a really strong death wish, would be worthy of a walk away and come back later reaction. Who needs it.

In my opinion, Rip Ride Rocket, unless one has a really strong death wish, would be worthy of a walk away and come back later reaction. Who needs it.
Coming from England I don't get to be over there much so try to do as much as possible when there and it was my first chance to ride it so wanted to give it a go, would agree however.

thomas998

to forget!

Ya know if someone simply mentioned that a group was loud, or a group was rude I might simply accept it at face value... But when someone starts off by stating that "absolute nightmares! Matching t shirts, bag's even shoes, crazy stuff!" I have to wonder if the person is just trying to get upset. I don't care what people wear unless it is strong perfume. If everyone at Disney wore the same clothes, even if they were crazy clothes it really wouldn't bother me. I have to wonder, would it have been annoying to you if they were British kids singing God Save the Queen?

ShookieJones

Ya know if someone simply mentioned that a group was loud, or a group was rude I might simply accept it at face value... But when someone starts off by stating that "absolute nightmares! Matching t shirts, bag's even shoes, crazy stuff!" I have to wonder if the person is just trying to get upset. I don't care what people wear unless it is strong perfume. If everyone at Disney wore the same clothes, even if they were crazy clothes it really wouldn't bother me. I have to wonder, would it have been annoying to you if they were British kids singing God Save the Queen?
Don't pay attention to Matthew. Take a look at his posts. An obvious troll.

If they were british it would annoy me just the same if not more. The fact I spent a 2 week holiday and don't have a positive to say about them sums them up. My 2 year old sister pateitnyl waited to meet Jake the neverland pirate only for a large group of them to run through knock her to the floor, upsetting her. Jake had to be rushed away to safety as they were running and making a fuss of him and the CM had to apoligise several times.

LucyK

Hmm..it's been a couple of days and this conversation (although pointless) hasn't gone completely off the rails.
I have to say I'm pretty impressed.

Eh...what the heck I'll pitch in and say what I always say in these 'BTG' conversations:

It has a LOT less to do with the fact that they're Brazilians and LOT more to do with the fact that it's a GIANT horde of teenagers with not enough supervision.

Brazilian, Mexican, 'Merican, we can all agree: a whole bunch of teenagers with little to no supervision is NEVER a good thing (unless you're the teenagers).

EDIT: I don't know how to spell.
I wouldn't call it a pointless discussion per se, some background information on tour groups won't change how we feel about them, but it's good to let people know how they usually operate.

But I totally agree with your second point. It doesn't really matter where groups are from, all it matter is that a huge groups of teens plus no supervision is always bound to cause trouble to other guests.

ShookieJones

I wouldn't call it a pointless discussion per se, some background information on tour groups won't change how we feel about them, but it's good to let people know how they usually operate.

But I totally agree with your second point. It doesn't really matter where groups are from, all it matter is that a huge groups of teens plus no supervision is always bound to cause trouble to other guests.

It's pointless when it's the same discussion that's been rehashed over and over and over (did I mention and over;)) again, and no new ideas or thought processes are brought into the conversation.

Very little of the conversation is about "how to deal with them" or "when is the best time to go to avoid the BTG" It's all just a back and forth about cultural differences, how obnoxious they are, and whole bunch of other stuff we can't change about other people or the human race in general. Hence my term "pointless"

If we all worried about how effed we are instead of worrying about how effed up the person next to us is a lot of the things we worry about would take care of themselves.

Wow....sorry about that, I somehow ended up on a soapbox.

thomas998

It's pointless when it's the same discussion that's been rehashed over and over and over (did I mention and over;)) again, and no new ideas or thought processes are brought into the conversation.

Very little of the conversation is about "how to deal with them" or "when is the best time to go to avoid the BTG" It's all just a back and forth about cultural differences, how obnoxious they are, and whole bunch of other stuff we can't change about other people or the human race in general. Hence my term "pointless"

If we all worried about how effed we are instead of worrying about how effed up the person next to us is a lot of the things we worry about would take care of themselves.

Wow....sorry about that, I somehow ended up on a soapbox.
All anyone really has to do to know when they are going to be less likely to be an issue is to familiarize yourself with the normal school year in Brazil. Though it isn't set in stone... expect it to be most likely to happen in July or early August in the summer months... or in the winter December and January... So anyone wanting to avoid them can always go during spring break, then you only have to deal with the US kids on holiday.

LucyK

Just a heads up, this year most schools will have their mid year break in June instead of July because of the Soccer World Cup.

Plus our spring break usually happens around the week of October 15th. Tour groups in October are mostly families and not unchaperoned teens but you're afraid of bright colors and coordinated outfits, here's your warning!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom