For the first time, I've finally seen the fabled mythical Brazillian Tour Groups

Lucky

As a previous person pointed out the main reason is that hey are large groups with no adult leaders.
when the kids go off on their own with very little adult supervision they are going to do what most teenagers do.
And this is where I fault WDW. They should require a higher ratio of adult chaperones to kids in tour groups, and assign a CM to accompany groups that are still behaving badly.

216bruce

I really think it's more age than just culture. On a DCL trip we had a mom and daughter from Rio at out table for 11 meals. They were the quietest folks at the table, very polite, bright and absolutely great. ANY group of un/lightly supervised teens or kids will get crazy loud if you let them. More chaperones wouldn't hurt, but it'll never take the place of parents.

Redhawk

Yes I wish Disney would work with the tour groups and talk to them about inappropriate (chanting, singing, pushing, line jumping) behavior in the parks. Also yes, require there be more chaperones for large groups of teenagers.

I remember when I went as a high school senior and we had very few chaperones but in those years (late '70s) we had been taught good manners and respect for other people. Then again, the MK wasn't nearly as crowded as it gets today, even on moderately busy days.

Last edited:

Ralphlaw

I'm not sure I would say their upward mobility is hampered anymore than someones in the US, maybe less so. At the very least they all have access to public schools, and unlike the US where you have to pay to go to college they must simply pass a test for the program and university that they want to attend. If they pass the exam it doesn't matter how much money they make the education at the university level is free to those that study hard enough to pass the exam.

Only thing that keeps a lot of people that are poor from having a change of moving up in Brazil is the parents that don't always push education, then again that is true in the US of the poorest folks. But at least if you have a kid down there that wants to learn and pushes themselves they can get a college degree without going in debt for the next 30 years.

Perhaps, but I would have to think the ghettos of Sao Paulo are much worse than the worst neighborhoods in America. I would also have to think that the luck of birth plays a huge roll in one's success, with family connections being even more imperative than here.

thomas998

Perhaps, but I would have to think the ghettos of Sao Paulo are much worse than the worst neighborhoods in America. I would also have to think that the luck of birth plays a huge roll in one's success, with family connections being even more imperative than here.

Yes the favelas are bad, but then those living in them represent only about 5% of the population. And while I wouldn't recommend anyone go into those areas, they are not as dangerous as some of the more notorious areas in major US cities... If anything you are probably safer in a city like Rio than in say Boston or DC, because in Rio you can clearly tell when you are in the civilized area and when you are in no mans land compared to Boston or DC where you can go from safety on one block to a nightmare on another.

thomas998

Oh, yes. I've heard that orphans are quite literally considered vermin down there.

The street urchins are really your biggest threat down there. The one thing you learn very quickly is that they are the most violent creatures you will likely run across. If they mug you, you better give them your wallet without hesitation because they will not bat an eye before stabbing you. It's the reason that they used to have death squads that would hunt down the kids on the streets, because they were much worse than vermin.

Ralphlaw

Yes the favelas are bad, but then those living in them represent only about 5% of the population. And while I wouldn't recommend anyone go into those areas, they are not as dangerous as some of the more notorious areas in major US cities... If anything you are probably safer in a city like Rio than in say Boston or DC, because in Rio you can clearly tell when you are in the civilized area and when you are in no mans land compared to Boston or DC where you can go from safety on one block to a nightmare on another.

Yeah, just took a trip to San Francisco, which is a rich and beautiful city. But don't venture into the tenderloin district, which is an island of drugs, crime and poverty smack dab in the middle of the city and just a few blocks from multi-million dollar real estate.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Last year we were in the MK late one night. We were headed out, walking down Main St. USA a large group formed a Conga line, chanting, pushing and shoving. They were knocking into people left and right and holding hands so tight on the conga line no one could get through. Finally a big dad about 6'5" and 300lbs pushed right through and it was like a dam bursting people just over took them that fast. It was a sight to behold.

I've seen a few conga lines but never on Main St

Victor Kelly

I positively love the. British. They can be very chatty while remaining extremely calm. They are always amazed at an American with good manners. Yes, we Americans can be very very noisy, and rude as well.

I met an Australian fella in the old Penny Arcade and we played one of the first person shooter games called Space Gun for a few hours. That experience is one of the best I have ever had besides my honeymoon.

Weather_Lady

I positively love the. British. They can be very chatty while remaining extremely calm. They are always amazed at an American with good manners. Yes, we Americans can be very very noisy, and rude as well.

I met an Australian fella in the old Penny Arcade and we played one of the first person shooter games called Space Gun for a few hours. That experience is one of the best I have ever had besides my honeymoon.

We met a number of delightful and outgoing British, Irish and Australian folks on our last WDW trip -- in lines and on the buses, mainly -- and had some lovely chats.

GSUMouse

Coming from a former college program cast member those groups are the worst! I had to have a translator at the bus stops with me to half way help me maintain order. One time I had a group refuse to give up their seats on the bus for a disabled woman in a wheelchair and her elderly husband. That's about as low as it gets in my opinion.

OnyxNine

I have encountered groups from Puerto Rico; singing, chanting, rude. Brazilians; singing, chanting, rude. British; polite, quiet, loved to chat. Japanese; excessively polite, very quiet, not too chatty but very nice people.

It is a cultural thing. However, when visiting a foreign land it is best to act more like the natives than where you come from.

I had my encounters with puertoricans too. But so far none of them loud, and well mannered. I even chatted with one of them who was also annoyed with the legendary brazilian tour groups. This lady was soft spoken, very polite, and a pleasure to talk with. I remember her saying, people in their late 30s and 40s either born in usa or PR, seem to be the last generation with manners.

OnyxNine

In most cases i think disney's management is just ignoring the situation. Those groups disturb the experience of other people. I feel disney just cares about their customer satisfaction. In most cases casts members are victims of disneys rules on pleasing their customers in every silly way, rather than thinking of safety. Maybe if the people complained more about those groups disney will consider taking some action.

Susan Savia

Was in the MK this morning and a large tour group spread themselves across Main Street and proceeded down the street screaming, yelling, clapping. I pity anyone at that moment that wanted pictures in the street or wanted to get thru that... We ducked into a store and made our way around it that way. I think it's disgusting how WDW allows such behavior.

OnyxNine

I am beginning to wonder if they do that on purpose. It is obvious their behaviour is annoying to everybody else. Ppl avoid them, so in a way, they are getting results of making things go their way. I still think, the more people complain about them to disney, it will force the management to do something.

OnyxNine

I have told family and friends to avoid january and febuary from visiting disney. I bet they will also tell their families and friends too.
Is not worth to visit, if their experience will be ruined by those annoying people.

LucyK

Yes I wish Disney would work with the tour groups and talk to them about inappropriate (chanting, singing, pushing, line jumping) behavior in the parks. Also yes, require there be more chaperones for large groups of teenagers.
They should require groups to have at least one adult/chaperone for each group of ten. And by chaperone I mean someone with the authority to call time outs and send the unruly back to the resort.

As long as Disney turns the other way and avoid issues caused by TG/Pop Warner/Cheerleaders we'll have problems. Lay down the law and make everyone follows it and I bet people will see a major improvement with huge groups.
I really think it's more age than just culture. On a DCL trip we had a mom and daughter from Rio at out table for 11 meals. They were the quietest folks at the table, very polite, bright and absolutely great. ANY group of un/lightly supervised teens or kids will get crazy loud if you let them. More chaperones wouldn't hurt, but it'll never take the place of parents.
I'm a talkative person by nature and I try to engage in conversation with fellow park goers whenever possible. I had amazing talks with LOTS of people from Louisiana last trip. Some of them would be turned off when I mentioned where I was from but most of the people I met were great and we talked non-stop. I even met up with a friend I made on Facebook group for Disney; we were going to the same Dessert party and we spent a few minutes talking, her family was adorable and quite entertained that I spoke English but I was from Brazil.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom