For Reference: Space for a 5th Park at Walt Disney World

Eric M Blake

That's fine armchair Imagineering, but that's never going to happen under the current management. If a fifth park is going to be built anytime in the near future it will be fully IP based.

Fair point, especially considering the obsession with adding characters to the Epcot rides.

But Iger's out in a couple years, so I'd wager he's leaving that part of the plan to whomever his successor might be. Meantime he'll just be around for the MK expansion, the AK renovations, and the Mary Poppins ride.

All of which is IP based, of course.

I'll say this: As I noted before, a lot of the "lands" I'm spitballing about could easily be linked to IPs. Considering how many of the classic Disney films are linked to European mythology, that land should be easy enough.

Honestly as of now the hardest "land" to do that with would be one involving the mythological creatures of the Americas...but hey, that could lead to something *very* interesting....🤔
One "spitball" idea that's occurred to me is how underutilized the Monsters Inc universe has been with the parks. Bug's Life, of course, has the honor of being the attraction in the AK Tree Of Life, and of course Toy Story and Nemo have their lands/pavilions.

It's cool how Tomorrowland has the Laugh Floor where they interact with "the human world," but what if, say, "Beastly Kingdom"/"Beastland" has the Monsters city as a land? Heck, maybe make it the "Main Street"!

Let's be honest: The climax of the original film is a friggin roller coaster.

Raya & The Last Dragon also comes to mind--Kumandra could be a whole land, and we could get a great thrill ride that's essentially a roller coaster with some plunging into the water!

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

That's your argument that that's all it is. We'll see.
It’s not an argument. It’s a fact. Disney doesn’t actually operate with these super long specific plans even though a lot of fans think that is how things work.
Well, I'm certainly trying to hold constructive discussions about what new parks and park expansions could look like.

If only people would hold off the unnecessary "Oh that's not gonna happen."

We'll see. In the meantime, Walt always cherished the imagination of possibilities. And he balked at anyone daring to lecture him on impossibility.

Regardless, moving along.
If you want to just discuss different ideas for the parks there is a whole Armchair Imagineering forum. When you start pushing vague statements as meaning more and claiming things as clues of specific plans you’re going to get pushback because you’re trying to make claims about actual information.

Eric M Blake

It’s not an argument. It’s a fact. Disney doesn’t actually operate with these super long specific plans even though a lot of fans think that is how things work.

If you want to just discuss different ideas for the parks there is a whole Armchair Imagineering forum. When you start pushing vague statements as meaning more and claiming things as clues of specific plans you’re going to get pushback because you’re trying to make claims about actual information.
Two can play at this game, again. This thread began as the OP posting for reference which parts of the property are best suited for a 5th Gate. Thus it wasn't supposed to be a "Is it even possible they'd bother?" thread.

Seriously, you and I are not gonna convince each other. You're pessimistic about the idea (and pessimists, by nature, tout their side as "fact"), and I'm more optimistic. Let's agree to disagree...and move on. 🎶Let it go....🎶

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Two can play at this game, again. This thread began as the OP posting for reference which parts of the property are best suited for a 5th Gate. Thus it wasn't supposed to be a "Is it even possible they'd bother?" thread.

Seriously, you and I are not gonna convince each other. You're pessimistic about the idea (and pessimists, by nature, tout their side as "fact"), and I'm more optimistic. Let's agree to disagree...and move on. 🎶Let it go....🎶
So you’re challenging another board “historian” on strategic history/planning?

Well I’ll give you this: you don’t leave any stones “unturned” 👍🏻

Eric M Blake

@Eric M Blake

Ok…I’m ready to learn…make the case for a 5th gate. Go 👍🏻
Walter...you've constantly teased that you have an argument, you need time to get it ready, now you have it and you're somehow waiting for my request for you to post it...

And NOW, you apparently need me to put more of my case, for you to do it?

I was pleased by your talking about the Blue Ocean strategy--finally you're providing something beyond wisecracking, and I'll happily respond to the data in kind.

But if you already have arguments ready, I shouldn't be needed to encourage them out of you with more of mine.👍

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why would Disney build a 5th park in Orlando?

It’s a fairly direct question. Make the case.

Honestly…I can write 3,000 words about why the Orlando market isn’t the right place for another Disney park - with all kinds of numbers…but it feels like a waste of time? I don’t think you can process it and most everyone else here has heard me go on about it (too much…my fault).
But at least they understand the dynamics.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

A nickel's worth of free advice - You're in way over your head trying to talk down some of the posters you're trying to talk down.

Contrary to your misguided belief, it's not pessimistic to present what is actually happening. Your refusal to believe that anyone else could know something that you don't is truly astounding. Bob would be proud of your unbridled hubris.

Eric M Blake

A nickel's worth of free advice - You're in way over your head trying to talk down some of the posters you're trying to talk down.

Contrary to your misguided belief, it's not pessimistic to present what is actually happening. Your refusal to believe that anyone else could know something that you don't is truly astounding. Bob would be proud of your unbridled hubris.
I'm open to information. I've asked questions to that effect. I apologize for any talking down, and I'd appreciate the same from the other side.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Walter...you've constantly teased that you have an argument, you need time to get it ready, now you have it and you're somehow waiting for my request for you to post it...

And NOW, you apparently need me to put more of my case, for you to do it?

I was pleased by your talking about the Blue Ocean strategy--finally you're providing something beyond wisecracking, and I'll happily respond to the data in kind.

But if you already have arguments ready, I shouldn't be needed to encourage them out of you with more of mine.👍
Do you even know what Blue Ocean is all about? You're coming across like some smug punk who thinks they know things but in reality, you don't have the slightest clue what is being thrown at you and you're grasping at straws to try and weasel out of the hole you've dug.

Eric M Blake

Do you even know what Blue Ocean is all about? You're coming across like some smug punk who thinks they know things but in reality, you don't have the slightest clue what is being thrown at you and you're grasping at straws to try and weasel out of the hole you've dug.
I'm willing to accept info, and I apologize for any smugness.

Eric M Blake

I do…it’s park cannibalization, diminishing return on investment and the American labor culture…

…but I have little faith you can follow. Gotta be honest
I was just lectured on smugness. I may not have information, but I'm willing to learn it. And I'd appreciate no smugness from that side, too.

Eric M Blake

Are you? Because previously you just declared it as opinion when you didn’t like it.
Again, I'd love data on the points in question. It's not as if both sides haven't similarly challenged each other on that.

And as I get data, I will challenge on the implications therein. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom