For Reference: Space for a 5th Park at Walt Disney World

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh I agree on that--and we know Disney's working on that, with the "Beyond" project for filling out the empty chunk between Fantasyland, Frontierland, and the railroad. Plus the Dinoland renovation into Zootopia.

The simple fact is, one way or another WDW needs more stuff. The only question is HOW MUCH.

That's why Disney has the possibility OPEN for a 5th Gate. Because somewhere down the line, "Just expand the parks we have!" won't be much of a solution. (DHS only has so much extra space to fill into, for example. Same for EPCOT. )

See the other reasons I gave on the previous page.
We gotta sit down and talk…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. People keep forgetting, the removal of Eisner was ultimately necessary to restore Roy Disney's authority (until, sadly, his death 4 years later) and bring back some creative energy to the company. As the Imagineers miniseries lays out, Eisner was initially GREAT...but following the death of his excellent sidekick AND the financial struggles of EuroDisney aka Disneyland Paris, he ultimately moved to a "play it safe" mindset.

And after Roy's death in 2009, Iger did exactly the same.
…well here’s a textbook “swing and miss”

Kamikaze

Eisner was removed from power in response to the campaign. Thus, Roy got what he was going for, Comcast or no.
Correct, but to portray Roy E as a 'hero' or somehow influential inside Disney is both incorrect and disingenuous. Roy E trying to get his uncle and father's company literally taken over by a competitor shouldn't be celebrated. Period.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The last time you went coy like so in this thread, I challenged you to explain what you were getting at.

You still haven't done so.🤔
I must have skimmed past the alert amongst 50…

I’d be more than happy to…
But are you sure?
Because Marni tried to cool your jets on this the simple, polite way…
I’m his long winded, metaphor slinging enforcer

Eric M Blake

Correct, but to portray Roy E as a 'hero' or somehow influential inside Disney is both incorrect and disingenuous. Roy E trying to get his uncle and father's company literally taken over by a competitor shouldn't be celebrated. Period.
Not so "period." To be honest, it's not like the Disney board wasn't gonna take a hint from the threat. They listen to his demands, and Disney remained independent.

It's not like Comcast was the goal, here.

Eric M Blake

I must have skimmed past the alert amongst 50…

I’d be more than happy to…
But are you sure?
Because Marni tried to cool your jets on this the simple, polite way…
I’m his long winded, metaphor slinging enforcer
Marni's contributions to the discussion have been VERY constructive, I find.

Mainly because he actually says things.

Kamikaze

Not so "period." To be honest, it's not like the Disney board wasn't gonna take a hint from the threat. They listen to his demands, and Disney remained independent.

It's not like Comcast was the goal, here.
It actually was Roy E's goal, because he had influence at Comcast and he saw it as his way into running Disney (or the Disney division of Comcast). The Board's removal of Eisner is what calmed the stockholders and stopped the talk of the hostile takeover. Which wasn't what Roy E wanted.

You seem to think Roy E was actually trying to 'do good' here. He was simply looking for power for himself. And the way he went about it was the worst way possible.

Eric M Blake

It actually was Roy E's goal, because he had influence at Comcast and he saw it as his way into running Disney (or the Disney division of Comcast). The Board's removal of Eisner is what calmed the stockholders and stopped the talk of the hostile takeover. Which wasn't what Roy E wanted.

You seem to think Roy E was actually trying to 'do good' here. He was simply looking for power for himself. And the way he went about it was the worst way possible.
Let me ask something: Were things not better at Disney, regarding general quality, before Eisner's and Roy's falling out?

Corporate politics is what it is. And frankly, as someone who's been following the changes in leadership and ownership of Warner Brothers...there are times where it's necessary, and other times when it isn't.

For all we know, it would've been great. Or terrible. But one thing we do know: In the Eisner Era, Disney was on better footing when Roy was listened to.

As for the rest? Well, like the final line of Some Like It Hot..."WELL, nobody's perfect."

Eric M Blake

That's fine armchair Imagineering, but that's never going to happen under the current management. If a fifth park is going to be built anytime in the near future it will be fully IP based.

Fair point, especially considering the obsession with adding characters to the Epcot rides.

But Iger's out in a couple years, so I'd wager he's leaving that part of the plan to whomever his successor might be. Meantime he'll just be around for the MK expansion, the AK renovations, and the Mary Poppins ride.

All of which is IP based, of course.
I'll say this: As I noted before, a lot of the "lands" I'm spitballing about could easily be linked to IPs. Considering how many of the classic Disney films are linked to European mythology, that land should be easy enough.

Honestly as of now the hardest "land" to do that with would be one involving the mythological creatures of the Americas...but hey, that could lead to something *very* interesting....🤔

Eric M Blake

Yeah…if I recall he told you that you were wrong about a 5th park in 5 words or less in consecutive posts and you rejected it.

…be patient…I’m gonna need some time here for the narrative. Good things come to those who wait
I gave rebuttals, and others did too. We can have conversations without meaningless bloviating.

As for my "patience," I'll just say, all the time you've spent taunting and toying could have been focused on taking that time you say you'd need.

Whatever; I'm not interested in that kind of teasing. I talk with those with something to say--and throughout this thread, I've found it very engaging, however deeply I disagree with someone.

Gotta say...this ain't it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I gave rebuttals, and others did too. We can have conversations without meaningless bloviating.
He’s right…the rebuttals are not.
As for my "patience," I'll just say, all the time you've spent taunting and toying could have been focused on taking that time you say you'd need.
Easy, Son…contrary to what it seems - occasionally I have to work. Just got back from Manhattan an hour ago.
Whatever; I'm not interested in that kind of teasing. I talk with those with something to say--and throughout this thread, I've found it very engaging, however deeply I disagree with someone.
Engagement is the point here. I have a lot of respect for many people here I almost NEVER agree with.
Gotta say...this ain't it.
Well we can’t have that…I refuse to come in under the bar.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You mad about that Comcast thing? (The kids may not be ready to hear it…)

Prior to 2003…Roy E Disney was one of the most important people in company history. Modern Disney absolutely does not exist if he doesn’t come in and put people in place to re-engineer it in the 80’s and 90’s

Are you talking about a different guy with the same name? Cause if not we might have a disagreement brewing here…

Last edited:

Eric M Blake

Prior to 2003…Roy E Disney was one of the most important people in company history. Modern Disney absolutely doesn’t not exist if he doesn’t come in and put people in place to re-engineer it in the 80’s and 90’s

Are you talking about a different guy with the same name? Cause if not we might have a disagreement brewing here…
Well son of a gun, something you and agree on!👍

Kamikaze

Prior to 2003…Roy E Disney was one of the most important people in company history. Modern Disney absolutely doesn’t not exist if he doesn’t come in and put people in place to re-engineer it in the 80’s and 90’s

Right, and we're talking about the Save Disney (2) era. The 80s and early 90s are a completely different era.

But I would say Eisner-Wells was a much more influential duo than Eisner-Roy E. And its Wells' death (plus EuroDisney) that caused everything after, not a split with Roy E.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom