Flying with a two year old

kar888

My husband and I are thinking about making a trip down to Disney World in November. We usually drive down and have decided that maybe we would fly down instead. Has anyone flown to Florida with a two year old? If so did you take your car seat or just let him sit in one of the seats without it? The car seats that we have are too big to fit in one of the seats on the plane. At least according to the measurements on the website. Is it worth buying a new one for the trip or borrowing one from a friend? Any information anyone can tell me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Magical Dreamer

We've always just buckled our kids into the exisiting seats with no problems.

I think if you used a car seat you would find it to be very inconvenient on the flight.

Just my thought.

Upvote 0

CaptainWinter

My husband and I are thinking about making a trip down to Disney World in November. We usually drive down and have decided that maybe we would fly down instead. Has anyone flown to Florida with a two year old? If so did you take your car seat or just let him sit in one of the seats without it? The car seats that we have are too big to fit in one of the seats on the plane. At least according to the measurements on the website. Is it worth buying a new one for the trip or borrowing one from a friend? Any information anyone can tell me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

We've flown many places, including Florida, with our now 3-year-old. It is very slightly safer, statistically, if your child rides in a car seat installed in his or her airplane seat. To understand how slightly, I believe there was *one* incident in roughly the last two decades where a child was injured on a plane because he wasn't in a car seat. Also, IIRC, the American College of Pediatricians recommends kids ride in car seats on airplanes.

I'd be surprised if your car seat actually doesn't fit in any seat on the plane. The crew will (one hopes) accommodate your car seat, if you bring it on the plane, by giving you a bulkhead seat (in the front of a section with no seat in front of it).

In our case, when we actually looked at the statistics, we determined it was sufficiently safe for our little one to just ride in an airplane seat. Far safer than riding in a car, for example. She has flown without a car seat, many times, with no problems whatsoever. My advice: don't sweat it either way.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

I have flown several times with small children... I've never used a car seat! They (the kids) know that when they get on the plane they are buckled in just like they would be in a car and the only time we take off the seat belt is if there's potty break!

Upvote 0

SAV

We brought our car seats with on the flight when our kids were 2yo. It was great because they were buckled into something they were comfortable with. Also, we let them know it was a rule on the plane, so they didn't want to get up and wander around. We didn't have an issue with either one not fitting in the plane seat.

As for convenience, we were renting a car, so we needed one anyways. It wasn't a big deal to bring it on and off the plane.

Upvote 0

jimmy5575

Flying first time with the kids this September so I don't have a personal experience yet, however, if you are going to bring a car seat it must have label on it stating that it is FAA approved in order to be installed on the plane. If you are concerned about using just the seat belt there is a company that makes a "Kids Fly Safe CARES" harness which incorporates the seat belt and a five point harness system without carrying around a car seat.

Upvote 0

fngoofy

Flying first time with the kids this September so I don't have a personal experience yet, however, if you are going to bring a car seat it must have label on it stating that it is FAA approved in order to be installed on the plane. If you are concerned about using just the seat belt there is a company that makes a "Kids Fly Safe CARES" harness which incorporates the seat belt and a five point harness system without carrying around a car seat.
Respectfully, we have flown on two trips with our two yr old (so that's four flight crews) and no one has looked for a cert on our seat.

The pros are (as mentioned above) they are strapped into something that is comfortable and that they are used to.

If you are going to have a rental car it makes all the sense in the world to take the seat. The cost of having to rent a car seat from them pays for it, and then you can have the extra one when back home.

The key on the measurements is the width. We made sure that the extra one we bought for the grandparents was the right size for flying, that way we borrow is and are good to go.

I can't imagine not having a seat for them in some fashion though, holding a two year old on your lap for the whole flight would be rough.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Every time we have flown with our kids when they were little enough to need a car seat we have bought the extra seat and used it. We rent a car so we also have it for that. When they were bigger we used a booster seat.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

First off- you'd be surprised how big a carseat those airplane seats can hold. I've flown multiple times with a full sized convertible carseat and had no problems fitting it in the plane seat. The thing is- it's a pain to lug it on and off and try and get it set up while everyone else is boarding/getting off. I also question if it's that much safer using it on a plane. IDK. :shrug:

That being said...I prefer bringing mine and checking them in special bags for carseats. I've been told by numerous people/sources to never rent...i.e. never rely on the rental agency's car seats. The seats are often lesser quality, they may be older than the 5 year car seat rule, the seats may have been in accidents but they keep reusing them, and finally- they often don't have any carseats available when you go to pick up your rental.

Hey- at least the airlines don't charge for a carseat if the child is ticketed to a specific seat. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

ncstate7991

Well, you didn't ask this question, but I will answer it. The airline will check your car seat for free. You can buy a bag to place it in for about $20 online or at a Babies R Us. We have flown with our 2 year old for three different trips. We have never put her in a child seat on the plane. We have held her each time, and been lucky enough to have an empty seat on a 2 of our 10 total flights. On our last trip the portable DVD player was a nice distraction. I would only spend the money for the special car seat if you are going to be flying a lot.

Upvote 0

erstwo

I think it depends on your child.

Our children were rather squirmy at that age and we wanted them to SIT the entire flight, so we always brought a seat. DS & DD were used to being buckled into the car seat. They knew once that 5 point harness was buckled (and there was a motor going) they couldn't get out! If we had put them in a "big person" seatbelt, they would have been standing on the seat, wanting to walk around the plane, etc.

We love to fly with our children. Like others, ours fly about 5 times a year (10 flights round trip) and it's more hectic with children, but it can be done and you will survive. Trust me, we've survived it ALL! :lol: Thankful that our kiddos are now all potty trained and no longer need a car seat!

FYI- We have had our seats checked for FAA compliance. It only happened about once every 10 flights or so an usually on full flights only, but it has happened.

Upvote 0

cemeb4dk

one thing to note with a portable dvd player. At least the issues we have had. The flight attendants will say something if you have the volume playing. You need to use headphones. Sony makes some for kids we got them at target they are larger and comfortable for there ears and prevent the volume to be turned up to high.

On another note, we have done it both ways, used the car seat and checked it. For a two year old, I would just use the plane seat and seatbelt. due the child being a bit more comfy and gives you a bit more room to fidget with the child.

Upvote 0
We did not use car seats for our first trips but we did not need a rental car either. The kids did well just being strapped in....however they always want to get up at some point to check out the bathroom on the plane!! :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Phonedave

When my kids were young enough to be in car seats and we were renting a car, I brought the seats, but checks them - no special bags, just a big clear plastic bag the airline provided (Continental)

They have always just sat in the regular airplane seats and have never had a problem.

-dave

Upvote 0

mamamouse

I've flown with 2 children at age 2 and although no one checked our car seats I was told on the phone that the airline does not recommend using car seats unless they are specifically approved for plane installation .I was also told that most made in Canada are not approved for aircraft. Take it or leave it, it's important to do what makes you at ease.

Upvote 0

Erika

Our daughter's 4 now, but she's flown at every age. She's a skinny little thing and there was no way at age 2 the regular belt would have done her any good. Her car seat was comfortable for her to fall asleep in, it had side pockets for storing more of her crayons and things, it lifted her to be able to reach the tray better, and we had to bring it with us anyway for the car so it wasn't like it was an added inconvenience.

I know there was a story in the news a couple of weeks ago with a bunch of people injured from severe turbulence, but as someone else said, those stories are rare, so go with whatever you are comfortable with. I tend to err on the side of caution instances like this- bringing the seat was never a big deal, so :shrug: I figured why not. But her car seat said right on there that it was FAA approved and we didn't have to think about buying a new one.

I agree with Katnthemouse about the bathrooms :ROFLOL:

Portable dvd player is your friend, plus I'd recommend some new books your child hasn't seen yet, crayons, snacks, anything that can be played with in a tiiiiny little area. Ours always liked little toy figures she could build stories with. Anything to help the time pass! Have fun!

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

I've always skipped the car seat and used the regular seat belt as well. If you are not renting a car and using magical express, you won't be able to use the car seat on the bus anyway - they stow them underneath. I'm not really sure how federal guidelines require kids in car seats but on busses (both DME and the Disney provided transportation) kids just sit unrestrained - but I guess that would be a different thread! :shrug:

The portable DVD player is DEFINITELY your friend. Another tip - last trip I bought my 2 little ones Leapsters and hid them away until the plane. Once we reached cruising altitude I busted those bad boys out and didn't hear a peep for the entire trip. As an added bonus they played them during down time in the room and it was definitely a magical thing! They have some cute pre-k games that are mostly like watching cartoons - might be worth looking into!

Upvote 0

nolatron

I'm in the same boat as well. Flying alone with my 2 year old in November (DW if flying 3 days earlier with the luggage) and I'm debating on using the carseat or not on the plane. I have a Britax Roundabout and flying Southwest.

We're bringing ours for the rental car, but not sure if I want to let the DW check it on her flight and I take the stroller, or I take the seat to use on the plane and DW takes the stroller.

I'm sure DD would feel more secure and behave better if she's in her seat, but I worry about the 'logistics' of having to manage her and the car seat by myself through security and while boarding. Plan is to have it be me, DD, the diaper bag, and the car seat. Sounds easy, just hope it actually is. :)

Right now, I'm still leaning towards bringing the carseat.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom